• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqVa_gVx-c4

(1970)

"Some of it is going to be absolute rubbish to be quite honest"
    I thought she was one of your neighbours, Lat!

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      I thought she was one of your neighbours, Lat!
      She drives down the A23 to see her mother.

I look out for her.

Comment

She drives down the A23 to see her mother.
        She drives down the A23, her mother for to see
        that sounds like a line from a John Betjeman poem.
        Next lines would be something like...
        Who makes the vestibule comfy for tea.
        The scones are quite warm, the something something something
        and the jam quite remarkably stone free

Which brings us back to Hendrix obv.
        Who covered a Bob Dylan track once.
        Last edited by Globaltruth; 31-03-18, 18:49.

Comment

Just noticed that the 'Radio 2 Folk Awards' with Radcliffe and Fowlis is on Beeb 4 this evening, all the way from Northern Ireland.

Comment

BBC4 - Latin Music USA : 2. Salsa:

How salsa music burst out of Havana in the 60s to become the vibrant sound of New York.

This was nice.

Essentially the story of the Fania All Stars although with references to Arsenio Rodriguez, earlier, and Ruben Blades, later and plenty of Celia Cruz. A lot of fun had by all until it went wrong. There are contrasting merits in their "streetiness" - attitudinally somewhere between Shaft and hip-hop/rap but with a dose of Woodstock style entrepreneurialism - and the more sophisticated, sometimes political revival from Blades including with Willie Colon on the classic album "Siembra". 1978. One might have thought later - but it all moved so fast.

Comment

Enjoyable wee programme in R3 'The Essay' a couple of days ago from Karine Polwart doing a piece on Dick Gaughan's 'Craigie Hall' which was on 'Handful of Earth; two Scottish National Treasures in one quarter of an hour.

Comment

Today at 11.30 in the 'Instrument Makers' Andy Cutting and Katie Howson visit French accordion maker Emmanuel Pariselle.
                Andy Cutting and Katie Howson go to France to meet accordion maker Emmanuel Pariselle.

Comment

on the Radio 4 Today programme this morning (about 8.30) an extended interview with Ry Cooder, of course, it's to promote his new album, the Prodigal Son.
                  "a deft commentary on our ailing moral state."
                  Indeed.

https://youtu.be/AiaPoKM6obI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbQ83HM8C_A

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                    on the Radio 4 Today programme this morning (about 8.30) an extended interview with Ry Cooder, of course, it's to promote his new album, the Prodigal Son.

Indeed.

https://youtu.be/AiaPoKM6obI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbQ83HM8C_A
                    8.23, GT. Thanks for that. Who'd've thought? Three days to do the Paris, Texas soundtrack...just do that Willie Johnson thing, Ry!

Comment

For those who don't have ethical objections to watching Sky, there are interesting looking blues programmes on Sky Arts coming up. Saturday evening at nine has a documentary BB King On The Road, stories from 65 years of touring and playing music. Sunday at eleven in the evening is Sidemen : Long Road to Glory, documentary on Pinetop Perkins, Hubert Sumlin and drummer Willie 'Big Eyes' Smith. And Monday at eleven has Mali Blues.

Comment

On J Holland later, Les Amazones d'Afrique.
                        Stream/purchase the album: http://smarturl.it/AmazonesdAfrique'Dombolo' feat. Angélique Kidjo is taken from Les Amazones d'Afrique's debut album République A...

Comment

This coming Thursday on Radio 4 at 11.30 in the morning, Moondog: Sound of New York, presented by Huey Lewis.
                          Huey Morgan travels to New York to examine the enduring appeal of blind musician Moondog.

Comment

All I can say about the recent posts is there a lot to get the gums into.

For which many thanks.

I sense things. I always sensed that Mr S was none too keen on Angelique Kidjo. Me. I was more in favour. Love Agolo. But the first part of this afternoon's interview with Mark and Stu was perhaps a little too challenging. On a more robust day, yes,....but she didn't half sound "forceful". Nevertheless, I do think it is worthwhile highlighting this one which was played:

Angelique Kidjo - Once In a Lifetime - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z84rtbVbIEQ

(actually, now I've got the purely music critic bit of me back in my head, it's an A-, just a substantial chunk below triumphant)

There is also a Paul Simon thing I got a bit of - almost certainly on repeat.

I will try to dig it out........
                            Last edited by Lat-Literal; 30-05-18, 21:39.

Comment

All I can say about the recent posts is there a lot to get the gums into.

Well wait for this, Lat. You love a bit of DJ Rita and she starts a three-parter on BBC4 tomorrow evening in Nigeria. In the following programmes we are promised trips to Mali and South Africa to explore these giants of African musical tradition. There you are, Lat...Rita on the telly!

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                                Well wait for this, Lat. You love a bit of DJ Rita and she starts a three-parter on BBC4 tomorrow evening in Nigeria. In the following programmes we are promised trips to Mali and South Africa to explore these giants of African musical tradition. There you are, Lat...Rita on the telly!
                                Well, that is very good news JC.

I look forward to it.

Nothing at all against Nigeria but will we be told why she is there as one of the three rather than Senegal?

Perhaps Senegal is too obvious.

Comment

Working...
                                X