Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    Don't forget Randy Vanwarmer, Global, a handy guy to have around when you're heading out on a cold winter night!

Not the Randy playlist though JC, please!!

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post

Definitely by Ethiopian refugees. They were her neighbours so a very big part of her Street Life.

Vanwarmer only had the worst name ever in pop music because he was born with an even worse one.

He was originally Randy Van Wormer. Strange but true! If you don't believe me, you may google.

Comment

Good fact, Lat...excellent name for a travelling veterinary surgery.

I notice that Nitin is Cheery Cowan's morning guest this week...I only mention because he chose 'Jarabi' that excellent Derek Gripper transcription of Toumani Diabate for classical guitar.
        Derek Gripper’s arrangement of Toumani Diabaté’s “Jarabi” at the Long Street Slave Church in Cape Town (May 2012). This performance sees a 21-string kora com...

Comment

18 certificate Global, I would imagine.

Hey while I'm here, I was scooting round the airwaves this morning and chanced on a most entertaining interview between Danny Baker and Mike McCartney, who let go the 'not a lot of people know that' fact that Jack Bruce plays bass on 'Lily the Pink' - also that Graham Nash sings the Jennifer Eccles verse in 'LTP'. Thought you ought to be told!

Comment

This afternoon at 4.00 pm on r4 Eliza Carthy explores 19thC broadside ballads in Manchester.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06fkm2g

(thanks JC. I actually knew GN was on LTP but not Jack Bruce - that explains something. Not sure what...)

Comment

(thanks JC. I actually knew GN was on LTP but not Jack Bruce - that explains something. Not sure what...)[/SIZE]
              McCartney said that when he saw Jack warming up he said to just play what he wanted to which Jack replied, 'I think the Bom bom (two note bass representation) is the best bit of the song - I'll stick with that.'
              Also apparently Jimi played on a McGough/McGear LP.

Comment

Despite continually whinging on about the Later... programme, occasionally, despite itself, certain gems show up
                Here's one:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqHJT5fZuJk

and, one that surprised me:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_pqOJt7gE8
                singer reminds me of someone else that CG used to play, but can't remember who?

two in the same show - is this a record.

Last edited by Globaltruth; 07-10-15, 08:01. Reason: oh - that's a record

Comment

Despite continually whinging on about the Later... programme, occasionally, despite itself, certain gems show up
                  Here's one:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqHJT5fZuJk

and, one that surprised me:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_pqOJt7gE8
                  singer reminds me of someone else that CG used to play, but can't remember who?

two in the same show - is this a record.
                  Thanks Global - loved them Russians - the other guys were no too bad.

I see that Mr Kershaw is on Rad 4 tomorrow celebrating 50 years of Bob's 'Highway 61 Revisited'.
                  Andy Kershaw re-examines the Bob Dylan album that changed popular music and his life.

Comment

Bizarre ending to the programme in which the R4 continuity bloke says ""Highway 51" - 50 years on - was presented by Andy Kershow". Maybe he had a very late night. I thought it was an excellent programme which I would have missed had it not been flagged up by you JC. I particularly enjoyed the way it focussed on the musicians including Mike Bloomfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                      Bizarre ending to the programme in which the R4 continuity bloke says ""Highway 51"
                      Before VAT.
                      Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 13-10-15, 13:33.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

[QUOTE=Lat-Literal;513405]Bizarre ending to the programme in which the R4 continuity bloke says ""Highway 51" - 50 years on - was presented by Andy Kershow". QUOTE]
                        I thought I'd mis-heard that, Lat - funny - there was a longer version of the programme on R2 last night...not sure what the extras were yet but will give it a listen anyway. Can't get too much of Waltz version of 'Rolling Stone'. I also liked the pianist from 'Tie a Yellow Ribbon'...and Keef too of course!

Andy Kershaw re-examines Bob Dylan's Highway 61 Revisited.

Comment

[QUOTE=johncorrigan;513496]
                          Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                          Bizarre ending to the programme in which the R4 continuity bloke says ""Highway 51" - 50 years on - was presented by Andy Kershow". QUOTE]
                          I thought I'd mis-heard that, Lat - funny - there was a longer version of the programme on R2 last night...not sure what the extras were yet but will give it a listen anyway. Can't get too much of Waltz version of 'Rolling Stone'. I also liked the pianist from 'Tie a Yellow Ribbon'...and Keef too of course!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06hc0yy
                          How odd to have a longer programme on BBC R2.

The "new" album they mention sounds like it will be fantastic.

The "Volumes" are like the unearthing of never ending gems.

Or finding how very two separate streets you've known were, in actuality, in the same neighbourhood as each other.

The manner of the releases is of itself ongoing, unprecedented, art.

Am still rejoicing at "Another Self Portrait" from 2013.

This Evening So Soon - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVa-lNwYbgI

I'm going to do something ever so slightly weird here - even for me.

He has probably never looked at this forum but, whatever, Andy thanks, total respect, and very best wishes to you.
                          Last edited by Lat-Literal; 15-10-15, 21:30.

Comment

I was listening to the radio while digging out the weeds this morning. I turned channels and they were re-running Kathryn Tickell's 'Private Passions' and a fine guide she was. She got Michael to give Brazilian composer Chiquinha Gonzaga's compositions a spin - she was 90 odds when she died in the 1930s - great piano piece, I thought. And so did a blackbird on the beech tree at the edge of the garden which I suddenly noticed started singing along. It carried on singing throughout and 10 seconds after the piece finished the blackbird stopped singing and I heard it no more - obviously didn't have the same passion for a spot of Armenian folk music that followed though it sounded fine to me.
                            Michael Berkeley is joined by Northumbrian musician Kathryn Tickell.

Comment

Gilles Peterson sitting on on the mid morning show on 6Music this week. a rather good show from what I heard.
                              Introduced me to Mulatu Astatke.

sounded fabulous. I shall have to investigate, but recommendations welcome.
                              Last edited by teamsaint; 19-10-15, 20:16.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                Gilles Peterson sitting on on the mis morning show on 6Music this week. a rather good show from what I heard.
                                Introduced me to, Mulatu Astatke.

sounded fabulous. I shall have to investigate, but recommendations welcome.
                                GT has much more knowledge than me in this area - but Alemayehu Eshete, Tlahoun Gessesse, Mahmoud Ahmed......I love Bezawork Asfaw.....and Teddy Afro is an odd one as he is very "boy band" a lot of the time and much of his output is in general disappointing but I have heard one or two tracks by him that are absolutely storming in a hypnotic way.

This is the Teddy track that I think is really terrific. He for once used electronics to great effect.

Avoid quite a lot of the rest of what he's produced. Sadly, it isn't anywhere near as haunting:

400 Fikir - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND_SziqNgpk

Bezawork doing her best Vera Lynn - I do like the Tizita "song". If you do, see also Dub Colossus:

Tizita Live - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB0SQukXbDA
                                Last edited by Lat-Literal; 19-10-15, 20:19.

Comment

Working...
                                X