• Time
  • Show
Clear All

And so, logically, here is Bela Fleck and V M Blatt
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcj-qjr4EuU

Y'see it's all a circle.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
      I forget sometimes you're a young pup Lat - y'see GH flirted with the Maharishi (unfortunately I think the Maharishi did some flirting of his own) converting the rest of the Beatles to the benefits of saag aloo, plain boiled rice and Trade Marking, at least that's what I think TM stands for.

Still, it gave us this
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFP10hDKH7k

Which lead the juvenile GT and his pals to go and see a concert given by Ustad Sultan Khan, much to the great man's approval but rather to the dismay of the rather stuffy elder citizens who thought their beloved festival hall was being besieged by blooming long hairs.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVLAB3jsawA

Luckily GT became a rather stuffy elder citizen and now completely understands what they were so worried about. Those blooming long hairs and their ilk are everywhere. Most irritating.

All clear now? (ah, no, that's scientology isn't it?)
      Oh I see, yes, but I thought we were talking about Wirelessbonce in the long term and specifically Thom Yorke.

I was also being a bit precious about GH who I virtually regard as having been part of the family.

For the record, 1970 was my first year of intensive musical study and will be the main topic covered in Vol 1:

"Seven Years Living as a Garden in Transistor Radio: Deep Impressions and Extremely Long Lists!"
      Last edited by Lat-Literal; 26-10-15, 21:13.

Comment

Just chanced on a programme about Khmer Rock with Mr R Denselow on Radio 4 extra that was made about 5 or 6 years back - I'm enjoying it.
        Robin Denselow explores Cambodia's rock and roll in the late '60s, known as 'Khmer Rock'.

Comment

They showed the making of this great vid on Beeb 1 Scotland last night - here's the end result with that fabulous soundtrack - if you haven't seen it, I recommend it; and if you have seen it, you can always watch it again.
          Watch our 2023 showreel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bN7qt5X5LoBehind the scenes of making the film - https://tinyurl.com/the-ridge-blogA film by @CutM...

Comment

Suspect there won't be much music but Bragg and a good mix of academics/historians/archaelogists on history of Mali - worth a listen.
            Quick mention of griots at the end, but without mentioning the fact that some of them use music... o well luckily there is always YouTube:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISg3MTog9MA

The programme:
            http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06kgggv
            Last edited by Globaltruth; 29-10-15, 11:02.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
              They showed the making of this great vid on Beeb 1 Scotland last night - here's the end result with that fabulous soundtrack - if you haven't seen it, I recommend it; and if you have seen it, you can always watch it again.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ_IQS3VKjA
              Oh yes....much as I like some of what Band of Horses have done, I was a bit unsure when I read that he had produced a video to one of their tracks before viewing this link. It is stunningly shot from the absolutely exceptional scenery to the pinkish purple "heather" wheels of the bike; from the jagged percussive theatrics via the panoramics and shadow to the down to earth ordinariness of the socks. I've seen some Scottish landscapes in my time and incredible feats of athleticism but that is amazing. The BBC have with this approached the standard of "Touching The Void", albeit with no white upon white upon white. The music is fabulous. TMC's version of "Song To The Siren" plus. Best TV of the year?
              Last edited by Lat-Literal; 30-10-15, 01:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                Oh yes....much as I like some of what Band of Horses have done, I was a bit unsure when I read that he had produced a video to one of their tracks before viewing this link. It is stunningly shot from the absolutely exceptional scenery to the pinkish purple "heather" wheels of the bike; from the jagged percussive theatrics via the panoramics and shadow to the down to earth ordinariness of the socks. I've seen some Scottish landscapes in my time and incredible feats of athleticism but that is amazing. The BBC have with this approached the standard of "Touching The Void", albeit with no white upon white upon white. The music is fabulous. TMC's version of "Song To The Siren" plus. Best TV of the year?
                It might have been last year that it originally appeared on the Beeb, Lat, but I agree that the scenery plays a magnificent backdrop and the Bennett soundtrack adds to the whole atmosphere of ancient and modern running together. Danny's a bit of national hero.

Comment

It might have been last year that it originally appeared on the Beeb, Lat, but I agree that the scenery plays a magnificent backdrop and the Bennett soundtrack adds to the whole atmosphere of ancient and modern running together. Danny's a bit of national hero.
                  I am a bit confused about the music. I know it is "Blackbird" from GRIT - 2003 - before Bennett's untimely death. Is the voice that of Flora MacNeil and incorporated from an early recording - Lomax? How does it work? Is it that he put electronics around the voice/song? On reflection, the This Mortal Coil version of the Tim Buckley song I mentioned is not necessarily a close parallel although they were an offshoot of the Cocteau Twins and there is an ethereal quality to both. What of course it wasn't was in the gaelic folk tradition.

nb Now I have gone back to it for the umpteenth time, that isn't MacNeil. It's surely modern - or is it? Muddled on this musically - and need advice on it. Whatever, O'Maonlai's excellent 'Rian' would segue. So to aspects of the Cinematic Orchestra and the modern settings of the traditional singing of the Campbells. It reminds me of a MAK film too. The film is fabuolous - I've forwarded to it to others by e-mail - it is in the music, the musicality of the movement, the maximising of the panorama and the attention to small detail. To be frank, it is so extraordinary that I keep feeling very emotional about it's beauty - the artistry in it and the spirit and the human endeavour. It is an 11 out of 10. No doubts!
                  Last edited by Lat-Literal; 30-10-15, 17:42.

Comment

Lizzie Higgins, Lat, from 1977.
                    Lizzie Higgins performing 'What a voice, what a voice (Blackbird)' from the recorded 1977 from the 1985 album, 'What A Voice'.Also known as 'I wish, I wish'....

Comment

Lizzie Higgins, Lat, from 1977.
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zO0eHt5cRg
                      Ah - and wow - and 1977 is such an interesting placing in time for it. So sorry to read that Bennett died at 33 - will listen to the entire CD. Could you sort of accept the Elizabeth Fraser point - or not at all??? It also has an Indian or Middle Eastern quality. I was so taken by it at the time - early/mid '80s - I bought the single and only heard Buckley's later.

This Mortal Coil - Song to the Siren:

I think this is magnificent. I went from tolerating the Hothouse Flowers as a reasonably decent band that always turned up at festivals to being impressed by the spiritually worded "Songs in the Rain". This, though, was the moment when the jazz-rock elements were dropped in favour of something more substantial. It was always in the Flowers somewhere:

Liam O Maonlai - Sadhbh Ni Bhruinneallaigh:

Highland Sessions:Liam O Maonlai - vocals and whistleKathleen MacInnes - harmony vocalsAllan Henderson - fiddleSteve Cooney - guitarAllan MacDonald - jew's h...

This was the first stepping up to the plate - 1993. Not a huge commercial success.

It was what U2 had often striven for but rarely achieved. The difference was a sense of roots and Morrisonian leanings with a bit of gospel. A great, great album if you meet it on its level, ie pop/rock. Very life affirming. Much as with a "Slow Train Coming" and "Avalon Sunset" I don't hear it in an overtly religious way. Connotations - but it's more organic. For example, I like the reference in the second to 'good books'. People walking among stones with good books under their arms. In my head, it's an alignment and good intention!!

Hothouse Flowers - Isn't It Amazing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvB11X5b1hY
                      Hothouse Flowers - Stand Beside Me - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWWrCdKNDPE

Last edited by Lat-Literal; 30-10-15, 21:31.

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                        I am a bit confused about the music. I know it is "Blackbird" from GRIT - 2003 - before Bennett's untimely death!
                        There is a film made by Beeb Scotland 10 or so years ago, Lat, featuring the recently departed Sheila Stewart of these pairts, who is one of the voices on Grit. Also in the film with Bennett is our old sadly departed favourite, the great Michael Marra, the 'Voice of Liberation'. Here they are talking about 'Liberation' in a short clip.

Didn't take long to find the whole half-hour programme from the excellent Artworks Scotland strand - it's a great watch.
                        A documentary on Martyn Bennett's classic album GRIT. GRIT is now available on LP for the first time. Double yellow vinyl. Full details here: http://vinyl-re...

Back in January for Celtic Connections they recreated 'Grit' on stage - I thought it was patchy but the things lacking most were, in my opinion, the replacement voices.
                        Last edited by johncorrigan; 31-10-15, 10:42. Reason: needed a spot of agreement!

Comment

I thought the recreation of Grit on CC was hugely disappointing, especially given the huge amounts of love, hard work and talent devoted to it.
                          They lost the spark, the vein of mad inspiration, in the process...a less formal approach may have helped? I'll be sticking with the original for the foreseeable

Comment

Yes......thanks for the clips JC which I have now viewed. I'm not quite sure how the project didn't fully register with me for a decade.

Given all the comments on CC I won't be looking for it but I do think that what the BBC has done with Danny Macaskill is exceptional.

Comment

2 former members of Staff Benda Billili on Later.. Tonight. K is for Kinshasa.

(Plus Joanna Newsom a sometimes LJ fave)

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                                2 former members of Staff Benda Billili on Later.. Tonight. K is for Kinshasa.

(Plus Joanna Newsom a sometimes LJ fave)
                                Thanks GT for the tip. The last time I looked, there was no Newsom on Spotify but that specific search was ages ago and it might have changed. If K for Kinshasha is for the Short List B as well as a manner of speaking, then please feel free to put forward what you would like to see going on it from the long list. Maximum one selection per letter per person. You could do it if you wanted in a separate post and then I would add them in. I have done my 26 suggestions today so I cannot go further on it until others add to it if they wish!
                                Last edited by Lat-Literal; 03-11-15, 21:44.

Comment

Working...
                                X