• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes that's him.
    the black bowler isn't a good look.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      including a terrific 'Jesu Olugbala ni mo For'i Fun E' by Josiah Jess Ransomne Kuti, Fela's Grandfather. Strangely enough it sounds a wee bit Paul Robeson-like. .
      Well, here, lurking on Spotify, is Josiah Ransomne Kuti. Incongruously he shares CD 3 with Josephine Baker. Thanks for the tip JC.
      https://open.spotify.com/album/5ouzmkyN6zqdOCNt8t3Ce8

There's nothing on Youtube by or about him, but there is this piece about Funmilayo Ransome-Kuti, Fela's mother, AKA THE LIONESS OF LISABI.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LKLFWTNCRg

Comment

Starting on r3 in 5 mins, Music Matters with what sounds in prospect to be of interest to those interested in WM (plus Biosphere who are also known to us through LJ and various Spotify playlists)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06s75n5

there's always Listen Again

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
          Starting on r3 in 5 mins, Music Matters with what sounds in prospect to be of interest to those interested in WM (plus Biosphere who are also known to us through LJ and various Spotify playlists)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06s75n5

there's always Listen Again
          Not enough Yoiking, Global, though I loved the horn sound in the caves.

Comment

The Boss on Beeb 4 tonight with a doc about 'The River'.
            Springsteen gives an account of the events and aesthetic behind 1980 album The River.

Comment

Not enough Yoiking, Global, though I loved the horn sound in the caves.
              Quite right JC - Petroc ain't no Verity, describing what a journey MIGHT have looked like if it hadnt been dark and/or raining and/or snowing doesn't make for memorable radio and when he got there he didn't get the best from the Biosphere Boy. Liked the yoikers, liked the fact yoiking had hung on despite pressure from the Christians (hang on, there's a theme emerging here...)

Comment

Petroc ain't no Verity, describing what a journey MIGHT have looked like if it hadnt been dark and/or raining and/or snowing doesn't make for memorable radio and when he got there he didn't get the best from the Biosphere Boy.
                Didn't want to say anything about PT, GT. I remember a time a while back when we had to tread carefully there, but Verity or Fiona would've made a better job. I think my favourite programme that I heard from the 'Northern Lights' was Fiona's Early Music show last Sunday.

Comment

Mark Coles (our nomination to supplement Wo3 presenters in 2016) is back with his Shed Music - fave albums 2015 Part One

https://www.mixcloud.com/markcolesmusic/

Comment

Liked the yoikers, liked the fact yoiking had hung on despite pressure from the Christians (hang on, there's a theme emerging here...)
                    Caught a fine bit of yoiking recorded in remote regions in the North by sound recordist Chris Watson, Global, though it was short...but very sweet. It's just about 5 minutes in and then followed by some Japanese insects - I reached my destination before the programme did by which time Messiaen was doing blackbird sounds.
                    Chris Watson demonstrates connections between the sounds of nature and human music-making.

Comment

They repeated 'Bob Dylan's Big Freeze' on 6 Music over the hols about Bob's first visit to London in 1962 when he came to record a play for the Beeb. Worth a listen if you like a bit of Bob chat.

Comment

Bit late, I know but they're coming to the end of a series of broadcasts of Sir Henry tonight on 4 extra. Might nip over from LJ for 15 mins.

Comment

Mark Coles (our nomination to supplement Wo3 presenters in 2016) is back with his Shed Music - fave albums 2015 Part One

https://www.mixcloud.com/markcolesmusic/
                          Got round to listening to part 2 and very enjoyable it was with, as usual, surprise entries. Sufjan just beat Blick to the number 1. Surprised Sissoko and Segal only just crept into the top 50. Here's 1 - 20:

1. Sufjan Stevens 'Carrie And Lowell'
                          2. Blick Bassy 'Ako'
                          3. Drakkar 'Drakkar 74'
                          4. Fantasma 'Free Love'
                          5. Seckou Keita '22 Strings'
                          6. Mbongwana Star 'From Kinshasa'
                          7. The Good Ones 'Rwanda Is My Home' / Sun Ra 'To Those Of Earth And Other Worlds'
                          8. Bob Dylan 'Shadows In The Night'
                          9. Dom La Nena 'Soyo'
                          10. Gary Clark Jnr 'The Story Of Sonny Boy Slim'

11. David Corley 'Available Light'
                          12. Tiken Jah Fakoly 'Racines'
                          13. Bassekou Kouyate + Ngoni Ba 'Ba Power'
                          14. Vesevo 'Vesevo'
                          15. Various 'Hanoi Masters'
                          16. Owiny Sigoma Band 'Nyanza'
                          17. Souad Massi 'El Mutakallimun'
                          18. New Order 'Music Complete' / Julia Holter 'Have You In My Wilderness'
                          19. Buena Vista Social Club 'Lost And Found'
                          20. Angelique Kidjo 'Angelique Sings'

Comment

Got round to listening to part 2 and very enjoyable it was with, as usual, surprise entries. Sufjan just beat Blick to the number 1. Surprised Sissoko and Segal only just crept into the top 50. Here's 1 - 20:

1. Sufjan Stevens 'Carrie And Lowell'
                            2. Blick Bassy 'Ako'
                            3. Drakkar 'Drakkar 74'
                            4. Fantasma 'Free Love'
                            5. Seckou Keita '22 Strings'
                            6. Mbongwana Star 'From Kinshasa'
                            7. The Good Ones 'Rwanda Is My Home' / Sun Ra 'To Those Of Earth And Other Worlds'
                            8. Bob Dylan 'Shadows In The Night'
                            9. Dom La Nena 'Soyo'
                            10. Gary Clark Jnr 'The Story Of Sonny Boy Slim'

11. David Corley 'Available Light'
                            12. Tiken Jah Fakoly 'Racines'
                            13. Bassekou Kouyate + Ngoni Ba 'Ba Power'
                            14. Vesevo 'Vesevo'
                            15. Various 'Hanoi Masters'
                            16. Owiny Sigoma Band 'Nyanza'
                            17. Souad Massi 'El Mutakallimun'
                            18. New Order 'Music Complete' / Julia Holter 'Have You In My Wilderness'
                            19. Buena Vista Social Club 'Lost And Found'
                            20. Angelique Kidjo 'Angelique Sings'
                            thanks for posting JC, I also listened to both parts and generally enjoyed it. Surprised by Sufjan Stevens though - his work all starts to sound the same after a while (and this from someone previously a fan). Reason for this post though is to urge a listen to Mark's NEXT episode (edition 229, 6th Jan) - it really is a belter in which he plays mainly jazz. Some wonderful music, and I like the feeling that he has the freedom to basically do what he likes, which on occasion seems to be what I like too. Viva Mark C.

Comment

urge a listen to Mark's NEXT episode (edition 229, 6th Jan) - it really is a belter in which he plays mainly jazz. Some wonderful music, and I like the feeling that he has the freedom to basically do what he likes, which on occasion seems to be what I like too. Viva Mark C.
                              Thanks Global - brilliant show. Thanks for the alert...I'll listen to it again...great world music jazz selection.

Comment

Coming up soon Baaba Maal on Private Passions (this Sun 24th) and then Celtic Connections. Definitely a 'do not miss'

Comment

Working...
                                X