Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    Great to have you back around with us, Lat...
    Indeed, Lat - always interested in your views, and pleased to hear your health report!

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post

Rufus is difficult - the sexuality is his and that's fine but it has often been pushed in an am-dram fashion. It doesn't always wholly appeal to all - and he would accept that. The debut album - I think it is the debut album - is in my collection. There are two or three excellent tracks there in the Joel mould not that he would thank me for portraying them in that way.
      I think that Rufus' main problems are that he thinks he is a better singer and songwriter than he is. I think keen to be different from his parents - mother with a beautiful melodic folk voice and father a commentator on life folk singer. He has neither of those attributes, and your comparison with Billy Joel sees him fall short again, having neither his musicianship nor his lyric writing ability.

Comment

There are certain people on this forum who enjoy a spot of bellydancing, so I thought they might enjoy this programme which shimmered this evening on 4 extra...'Bellydancing and the Blues'.
        Guy Schalom hunts out the spirit of the new Egypt in the musical roots of the bellydance

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
          There are certain people on this forum who enjoy a spot of bellydancing, so I thought they might enjoy this programme which shimmered this evening on 4 extra...'Bellydancing and the Blues'.
          http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pg3qt
          Interesting programme - thank you. For a moment I thought you were referring to forum members who enjoyed doing it. I never got beyond amateur limbo but that was Caribbean.

Comment

For a moment I thought you were referring to forum members who enjoyed doing it.
            So did I! I'm sure there must be one or two. Not to be confused with those of us who enjoy a spot or two of Bellyaching, of course.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              So did I! I'm sure there must be one or two. Not to be confused with those of us who enjoy a spot or two of Bellyaching, of course.
              Belly dancers of the forum - please step forward now!

(The great thing about limbo, of course - obviously it was all in honour of my junior school teacher Carmita Reid who I adored - is the higher the bar is set the easier it gets)

Comment

Belly dancers of the forum - please step forward now!

(The great thing about limbo, of course - it was obviously all in the name of my junior school teacher Carmita Reid who I adored - is the higher the bar is set the easier it gets.

The current problem I have with with belly dancing is that my belly continues dancing long after I've stopped.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

The current problem I have with with belly dancing is that my belly continues dancing long after I've stopped.
                  The only problem, ferney, is we are all out of time. In the late 1970s, repetitive groove at the end of, say, vinyl was all the rage.

Third one down and, yes, it took some finding - I can honestly say she informed my political and cultural outlook for 47+ years:

No doubt deceased now but such a wonderful soul. More kind hearted than a thousand other people put together - and so bright.

(she was 15 years younger than in the photograph but of everything on the internet it is one I cherish)

I knew her husband too in the picture above - nice man who was in the Jamaican High Commission before they left for Trinidad.

Have no idea if they were into Marley etc - possibly not, notwithstanding his role - but this couple are at the roots of my reggae.

And given that youth didn't come into it, that, in itself, I am extremely happy to say, is hardly a norm - it was just given to me!

Matumbi - Bluebeat & Ska - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQnhOIno03w
                  Abyssinians - This Land is For Everyone - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJUzbtblcU4
                  Bob Marley - Turn Your Lights Down Low - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdPV4yO7LKQ
                  Misty in Roots - Cover Up - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcieQuY4Vws

(play loud in the sunny sunshine - bliss)
                  Last edited by Lat-Literal; 21-06-17, 17:05.

Comment

http://www.thebellydanceflames.co.uk/

Well these are the women who started this discussion between me and JC. We were proud to have them perform at our village festival a couple of weeks ago - great involvement with the audience and a thoroughly good time had by all. Mrs GT, my daughter and grand daughter all had a good shimmy.
                    One of the songs they danced too...
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tjAtAMGz6U
                    Sonia nearly dances as well as them in this video...
                    Last edited by Globaltruth; 23-06-17, 10:02. Reason: was going to say this is best Nina Simone cover ever, but I thuoght I'd beter not. Luckily no-one ever reads the comments...

Comment

Here's a treat for July 4th from those happy chappies in Radio2...'Randy Newman's America'...that sounds like an America worth investigating to me. This Tuesday evening at 10 in the night time.
                      Randy Newman sits at his piano and talks about why is conflicted about his country.

Comment

Just noticed that the BBC Asian Network has been offering a series of programmes on Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, 20 years on from his death.

Comment

Probably covered elsewhere but the Chineke Orch. are well worth investigating - more of this ilk on In Tune pls.

Comment

Lopa Kothari considers the threats posed to Pakistan's rich tradition of Sufi music.

Music in peril - Sufi music under threat.

Not managed to listened to this yet... (disgraceful)

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                              http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b091wfnv

Music in peril - Sufi music under threat.

Not managed to listened to this yet... (disgraceful)
                              We have been here before with Mali.

Some of these people oppose every kind of music so it is no surprise that sufi music should now be attacked.

And it extends beyond. I have chatted quite a bit to a Turkish guy in a local retail establishment. It took quite a while to get any of them there to say anything but they always had the football matches showing on their TV. Eventually I knew their team and after much effort it had got to the stage where they would wave at me as I passed and say "Good morning Mr Arsenal". But most recently he tells me that he has been on holiday to his "home", having driven there and back with three other people. "Impressive" I say and I give the thumbs up, yet there is no football on and I ask him why not. It transpires he has suddenly decided he is against football. I am not saying he is suspicious in any way but my mind turned to the thought that perhaps he's become more devout. An internet search informs me that while European jihadis often play a lot of football, some behead those who do on supposed religious grounds. I really don't like the way in which this thing is coming between people. Additionally, no one in any local shop I have been into in the past few days has heard of Suffolk.
                              Last edited by Lat-Literal; 27-08-17, 22:38.

Comment

Van Morrison's on a Blues Show Special with Paul Jones this evening.
                                Van Morrison joins Paul this week to talk about his blues album Roll with the Punches.

Comment

Working...
                                X