Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
    Not quite sure where to post this (anywhere the host says...) - the same Doveman has also recently done stuff with Yoko. Ono.
    Here's as good as anywhere, GT. Apparently It's gonna Rain, by the way...be careful not to step on your eggs!

http://yokoonowarzone.comVocals, words and music by Yoko Ono © Ono Music (BMI) Produced by Yoko Ono and Thomas Bartlett Drawings by Yoko Ono, animated by Jon...

Comment

R4 eating r3's lunch?
      Even odder in that it was made by 6Music....anyway, whether it was on r3, r4 or r6 this first episode was rather shallow and predictable to my jaundiced ears.
      In the first of a series of journeys Nadine Shah a British Muslim artist travels to Beirut, to collaborate with Lebanese singer songwriter and musicologist Youmna Saba. The challenge will be for them to create a track together in Beirut in just two days.
      In my opinion Rabih Alameddine evokes a Beirut much better in his book An Unnecessary Woman
      (that concludes the in depth review)
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bh51zc

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
        R4 eating r3's lunch?
        Even odder in that it was made by 6Music....anyway, whether it was on r3, r4 or r6 this first episode was rather shallow and predictable to my jaundiced ears.

In my opinion Rabih Alameddine evokes a Beirut much better in his book An Unnecessary Woman
        (that concludes the in depth review)
        https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bh51zc
        I didn't fancy that one, Global, ad you haven't made me change my mind on it. In future weeks they are going to Colombia and Ghana, which sound interesting...but in particular I am looking forward to Charlotte Church heading to Georgia to do a bit of polyphony in a religious male-dominated world. Could be good - I have found Ms Church quite good value in the past.

Comment

An independent radio show from Birminham on the topic of WM
          https://www.brumradio.com/worldbeatuk/

Glyn Philips is a true aficionado, plays some well-researched and quite rare music - definitely worth a listen. On the down side, he is definitely a DJ and a little bit too Nicey and/or Smashy. And some of the music is not to my jaded tastes...
          Still worth a listen from time to time.

I've also noticed that when you go to the web page, there's a heading LISTEN AGAIN with nothing under it. Then, after a few tens of seconds, the list of shows appear. This may be down to my browser, their software or some other cyber worldly combination - just saying in case you *do* visit and wonder what exactly is going on....

Comment

Toots is on Jools tonight...might make an exception and watch it as Neneh Cherry's on too!

Comment

Not sure whether this belongs here or on the jazz board. But anyway....The Forum on World Service today was worth a listen. 'Cool : Sunglasses, style and American Counter Culture'.

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

Comment

Originally posted by zola View Post
                Not sure whether this belongs here or on the jazz board. But anyway....The Forum on World Service today was worth a listen. 'Cool : Sunglasses, style and American Counter Culture'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/w3cswpsm
                thanks Zola. Always good to get recommendations.

Comment

Ricky Ross is sitting in on the R2 Folk Show for the next wee while, while Mark Radcliffe is off getting some treatment for cancer. Made a good job tonight, I thought. Good interview with Anais Mitchell including this potent song.
                  From the concept album, HadestownAll content is property of its respective owners; None of it being mine. This media is for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

Not really a glance around the schedules, more a visit to the past. The BBC website now seems to have taken 'Radio' off the menu and replaced it with 'Sounds'. I assume that this is to point dear listeners to podcasts and perhaps some things from the archives as well as the radio stations. Anyway, if you fancy a listen to the final 'World Routes', here it is...the website seemed to think I might enjoy it, and it was right.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                      Not really a glance around the schedules, more a visit to the past. The BBC website now seems to have taken 'Radio' off the menu and replaced it with 'Sounds'. I assume that this is to point dear listeners to podcasts and perhaps some things from the archives as well as the radio stations. Anyway, if you fancy a listen to the final 'World Routes', here it is...the website seemed to think I might enjoy it, and it was right.
                      https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03bfjqz
                      Jc - _ started a thread on the new BBC Sounds app over on the Tech board where it sparked such a ferocious debate that it nearly brought the whole forum down at one point.

it's going to replace iPlayer at some point, so need to get used to it. I'm waiting for someone to compare the quality with that of the existing r3 stream on iPlayer....but I'm not holding my breath

Comment

A rather interesting programme about the power of yoiking, and its importance to the Sami people on BBC Alba this evening.
                        Last edited by johncorrigan; 31-10-18, 22:53.

Comment

Great Desert Island Discs with Vanley Burke.

Difficult to fault his choice of records.

Comment

Celebrating the release of a new record by Tony Allen, Radio 6 had an Afrobeat inspired playlist this evening - some fine tunes in there if you're looking for some listening pleasure through the week.
                            Tom Robinson curates two hours of Afrobeat-themed music chosen by 6 Music listeners.

Comment

Reggae Fever with DJ David Rodigan on BBC4 tonight.
                              A film about the career of reggae broadcaster and DJ David Rodigan.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                                Celebrating the release of a new record by Tony Allen, Radio 6 had an Afrobeat inspired playlist this evening - some fine tunes in there if you're looking for some listening pleasure through the week.
                                https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00010n6
                                the new record is something rather dire with Damon Albarn. He has travelled around England using public transport (the horror!) and made an album about the time he did it. Brexit.
                                extract from NME review:
                                most of this album would quite easily soundtrack an abandoned carousel at the end of a windswept pier. It’s charming on the surface, but beyond the title track and ‘Lady Boston’, it begins to wear thin quicker than a seagull nosediving to your soggy paper of chips.
                                Still hopefull Tony Allen will get a few quid from it.

Comment

Working...
                                X