Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quick glance around what's NOT on the schedules...
    Last Friday night marked the beginning of a month long music festival hosted in Kabul—the first rock music festival in Afghanistan for more than …

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
      A quick glance around what's NOT on the schedules...
      http://nyr.kr/rdDLtU
      A quick glance through the World Routes Archive suggests it's time for Andy to pack the loo rolls in the haversack and head for Kabul - I can't see any sign of WR having been there and Andy's obviously the guy for the job. Reading that article reminded me of the great music Andy and his 'crew' found in Iran - given what is being said, I wonder if that's all been stood on.

Comment

Ry Cooder on r4 right now?
        That's almost as much coverage as he gets on r3 in a year..
        .Ahh yes,on his new album he's attacking those people it's cool to dislike

Is he America's national muse?

well, probably not, but when he puts that bottle on that neck....

http://audioboo.fm/boos/476780-ry…
        Apparently there's a Frank Zappa piece on the r4 Today program tomorrow....humphreys interviews Moon Unit and Dweezil?

Comment

Is he America's national muse?

well, probably not, but when he puts that bottle on that neck....

http://audioboo.fm/boos/476780-ry…
          Today, because that's where I was, I was thinking that Natalie was America's muse.

....and I e-mailed Mary Ann about that 'Jukebox of People Trying to Change the World' in Dundee and she did a bit about it on her 'Global Gathering' tonight - waiting for the LA to kick in - had a meeting that went too long.
          Mary Ann Kennedy presents a world music show with a uniquely Scottish perspective.
          Last edited by johncorrigan; 20-09-11, 22:50. Reason: still waiting!

Comment

Apparently there's a Frank Zappa piece on the r4 Today program tomorrow....humphreys interviews Moon Unit and Dweezil?
            Life is good - r4 playing clips of 'Call any vegetable' as I post.
            And giving credit to his serious musical work.

Shame he never ran for Prez...

Now he does get the occasional exposure on r3 - I have hopes for a Prom one day...
            Last edited by Globaltruth; 21-09-11, 08:56.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
              ....and I e-mailed Mary Ann about that 'Jukebox of People Trying to Change the World' in Dundee and she did a bit about it on her 'Global Gathering' tonight - waiting for the LA to kick in -
              http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b014qxmc
              The bit about Brank and Heckle starts third song in with the Dundonian singer Mary Brooksbank by the way.
              Mary Ann Kennedy presents a world music show with a uniquely Scottish perspective.

Comment

Now he does get the occasional exposure on r3 - I have hopes for a Prom one day...
                Oh sodo I ... or even a Composer of the Week!
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Now where's that flying pig picture got to.....

Actual upcoming? Pokey La Farge on Wo3 this week. Good enough, even with the headgirl in charge.

Comment

Meanwhile DJ Ritu, another World Service refugee, and subject of some impassioned pleas previously on this board,re-appears at SOAS.

I suspect a Dr Lucy intervention

Comment

Good enough, even with the headgirl in charge.

i thought radio scotland was quite brilliant in its interpretation of global diversity.

although i was slightly miffed that the turkish chap was rushed by the headgirl. after which he had to do 'a wee snatch' of impromtu turkish bagpipe, (and hastily thank her for the opportunity), and ram his scot/turk bagpipe comparisons home, in a very short time frame....and in english.

good to hear john corrigan's brel selection; also the spicey brazilllian tracks.

"yes,on his new album he's attacking those people it's cool to dislike

Is he America's national muse?"

cooder, natalie, or polly, i'm quite content for none of them to be 'national muses' ...in fact the whole idea makes me feel deeply cynical, queezy that so many (apparently) wish to 'believe'. so, am relieved that someone else apparently might be sceptical....relevant comment upthread prompted me to listen to scottish radio, and also bother to find out who natalie is. surely, it's 'cooler' to doubt the concept of A muse? and of nationalism itself ....?

especially in the current recession to avoid disappointment: hold onto your cash (and sanity) instead....i like this type of far better tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post

i thought radio scotland was quite brilliant in its interpretation of global diversity.
                        good to hear john corrigan's brel selection; also the spicey brazilllian tracks.
                        hsf, Mary Ann's not the Headgirl - she's the lassie hanging out behind the bike shed havin' a fag - Global may have been referring to Lopa.
                        I think that Mary Ann does a fine mix on Global Gathering - there's always something new in there worth listening to - I agree about the Turkish guy - she was struggling a bit - wouldn't have minded hearing him play in the Dan Brown Church - that is one fine place to hear music.

I can't take credit for the Brel - I only suggested to Mary Ann that she get in touch with that exhibition in Dundee with the 'Jukebox of people trying to change the world' in it' - but it was a fine choice nonetheless.

Comment

Just a minor point, but Mary Ann most definitely isn't head girl. that particular honour is reserved for Lopa K...originally from this article I think:
                          http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-rad...-black-mambazo

Detentions all round. Mary Ann is simply MAK...

she's the lassie hanging out behind the bike shed havin' a fag

Whoops, posts crossed, but, as is often the way JC responds with more humour, panache and admirable self-deprecation.

Comment

aha thanks - (sorry)

'mak' rushed him - but it's a long show, alot to fit in - turkish chap wasn't to know that though .... the poor wee soul!

i think with new interest in middle eastern music of late, the bagpipes are probably a better place to start from, than other instruments, and more contemporary styles. though clarinet/sax player, shebaka hutchins, was interesting on 'jazz on 3' earlier in the year, discussing egyptian/ethiopian music, and traditional improvised evocations on wind instruments....hadn't thought of any of this discussion relating to it being indigenous to the uk though ....not till listening to radio scotland, at least.

Comment

"yes,on his new album he's attacking those people it's cool to dislike

Is he America's national muse?"

I've been trying so hard not to do the
                              we are not a-mused
                              thing..

You're right. No muse, no Santa Claus, nothing, nada, zip...in fact

Comment

I've been trying so hard not to do the

thing..

You're right. No muse, no Santa Claus, nothing, nada, zip...in fact
                                Nice to hear the cheery remix, Global!
                                Last edited by johncorrigan; 22-09-11, 19:12. Reason: nothing else for it!

Comment

Working...
                                X