No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
    I wonder ...

NewZimbabwe.com – The Zimbabwe News You Trust is Zimbabwe’s leading online newspaper and published by New Zimbabwe Media Ltd. The platform brings you the latest breaking News, Business, Showbiz, Sports, Diaspora and gives you everything you’ve come to expect and love.

Oh no - disappointing, not enough marimba, too much Western influence.
    I thought the first track was really good but a mix of the cheesy photos and cheesy tunes etc had me switching away.

You might like this bit of Fado from Carminho - apparently only 25 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVgFnoyqyEM
    beautiful voice I thought - Songlines gave her record 5 stars as they did for that new Dub Colossus record 'Addis through the looking glass' and if the opening number is anything to go by it's a topper.
    Last edited by johncorrigan; 23-06-11, 09:32. Reason: sheer carelessness- nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

Ach no, Fado is another unreasonable pet hate of mine, unconstrained Portugese miserableness.

I blame it on the bacalhau.

(Incidentally I see Mariza is retiring for a bit - it's all caught up with her, you see)

Comment

Saw Mariza a few weeks back. I thought her performance was a bit flat, then on checking a hunch, I discovered that the cleverly designed dress for the diva, was to worn hide the fact that she wasn't. Child due in August if I remember.

Fado is a bit like an olive, a small ingredient of what should always be a grand meal.

Film noiret.

PS
        The Portuguese Guitar player in John's film used to play with Mariza for years.
        Last edited by Guest; 23-06-11, 10:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
          Saw Mariza a few weeks back. I thought her performance was a bit flat, then on checking a hunch, I discovered that the cleverly designed dress for the diva, was to worn hide the fact that she wasn't. Child due in August if I remember.

Fado is a bit like an olive, a small ingredient of what should always be a grand meal.

Film noiret.
          A terrific film by the way.
          However the interview in froots doesn't just attribute her resting to her enceinte-ness...but then that's just a journo with space to fill.

So, moving on, what should be the next course?

Comment

Well I've just had a bite of that Ok Pokey. Tastes very good.

Have they been on the BBC ?

Comment

don't think so - maybe someone would care to oblige?

anyway, I'll plump for a slightly surprising choice
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eloWCh-Z68E

or maybe it's just another starter...

Apparently some people have seen a 6 foot white rabbit in this video - I can't say I have...

Comment

Ach no, Fado is another unreasonable pet hate of mine, unconstrained Portugese miserableness.

I blame it on the bacalhau.

(Incidentally I see Mariza is retiring for a bit - it's all caught up with her, you see)
                Fado's not one of my faves either, but I was really enjoying her voice - mind you, she does remind of Mariza

Comment

Here's another from TOTW 77 that I've been really enjoying.
                  Sarah Jarosz performs "Annabelle Lee" from her album "Follow Me Down" live on the Lee Michael Demsey show on WAMU's Bluegrass Country in Washington, DC.Liste...

Great voice I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                    Here's another from TOTW 77 that I've been really enjoying.
                    Sarah Jarosz performs "Annabelle Lee" from her album "Follow Me Down" live on the Lee Michael Demsey show on WAMU's Bluegrass Country in Washington, DC.Liste...

Great voice I thought.
                    The strings lift it imo - inspired.

Comment

Ahh, that old Polksa Roots album - so 09:15.

Now, why now, the young prodigy Pokey LaFarge
                      http://www.pokeylafarge.net/multimedia/video/

JC - I predict you will become a fan...why he even looks like a young Ahh Crum.

Feels good.
                      I don't get out much but noticed that Pokey and the boys were in St Andrews this evening - so me and my wife (a notoriously tough audience) headed over there and it was a very very enjoyable couple of hours. Four terrific musicians, a lot of humour, perhaps the best moothie player I ever saw and a host of great songs old and new - well worth the price of admission - wife thoroughly enjoyed it - she's happy, I'm happy.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                        I don't get out much but noticed that Pokey and the boys were in St Andrews this evening - so me and my wife (a notoriously tough audience) headed over there and it was a very very enjoyable couple of hours. Four terrific musicians, a lot of humour, perhaps the best moothie player I ever saw and a host of great songs old and new - well worth the price of admission - wife thoroughly enjoyed it - she's happy, I'm happy.
                        Hey, that's great to hear.
                        Now tell me - how did we summon him out of the ether and then materialised near to you?
                        Astonishing.

Comment

Astonishing indeed !
                          John was here

But is that posh venue really near to you, JC ?

Comment

PS
                            Good albums of the moment.
                            That Gillian Welch is now out and about.

Comment

PPS

Moothie Man

So often communications from JC and that MAK send me off to the language research lab.
                              Very pleasureable it is too !

( Today's was an easy one, I'll admite )

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                                Astonishing indeed !
                                John was here

But is that posh venue really near to you, JC ?
                                About an hour South across the Tay Bridge Paul - you have to navigate through Dundee. St Andrews is one of those places you happen upon - it's a bit Brigadoonish really - characters emerge in the back streets that exist nowhere else* - it's the kind of place where invisibility cloaks exist - I'm sure I got a glimpse of Diagon Alley last night. Anyway here's one of them fine Pokey tunes.
                                Pokey LaFarge and the South City Three perform La La Blues from the album 'Riverboat Soul' out Feb. 17th, 2010 on Free Dirt Records.www.filipebessa.comDirect...

* Global maybe that's how they ended up here - they'd apparently been playing in Skye and Stornoway the previous couple of nights.

Comment

Working...
                                X