Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LJ's very own Verity was guest playlist picker in the most recent 'Songlines' and among her she chose a tune by Inuit punk throat singer, Tanya Tagaq, called 'Fracking' - it seemed to fit the bill for snowy, idiosyncratic, Monday.
    Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesFracking · Tanya TagaqAnimism℗ 2014 Six Shooter Records Inc.Released on: 2014-05-27Producer: Jesse ZubotMusic ...

Comment

Not idiosyncratic at all, (think you'll find Claude Debussy agrees) an excellent video:

Enjoy this music video as part of the Sound Tracker & Genelec series. https://www.genelec.com/genelec-music-channelPerformers: Gamelan Semara Ratih of Ubud, ...

Comment

Home Made Mouth Bow played by Buffy Saint Marie (I think)* courtesy of those nice people at Sesame Street - 'Cripple Creek'
        If you're watching videos with your preschooler and would like to do so in a safe, child-friendly environment, please join us at http://www.sesamestreet.orgB...

*actually, I'm pretty sure!

Comment

I notice that Poet, publisher and bookshop owner, Lawrence Ferlinghetti died this week aged 101. Here he reads 'The World is a Beautiful Place' celebrating life and foreseeing his death accompanied by Dana Colley.

Last edited by johncorrigan; 01-03-21, 11:28.

Comment

Never a wrong thread to sneak a little Martin Hayes in...
            Martin Hayes gives us a short solo concert from his rural retreat in Northern Spain. This is music he has explored with his new Common Ground Ensemble ahead ...

on Friday's LJ amongst all the banging, shouting, crashing and overwhelming dronery, Verity gave us a track from the recently released EP of the streaming concert MH did at the NCH.
            As he says, this 15 minute clip gives us the bare bones of the tracks on the EP. Having said that, one of the tracks is Aisling Gheal, Bright Vision, a track we have discussed previously here - it is also much loved by Iaral O'Lionaird; but it doesn't feature on the EP.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
              Martin Hayes gives us a short solo concert from his rural retreat in Northern Spain. This is music he has explored with his new Common Ground Ensemble ahead ...

on Friday's LJ amongst all the banging, shouting, crashing and overwhelming dronery, Verity gave us a track from the recently released EP of the streaming concert MH did at the NCH.
              As he says, this 15 minute clip gives us the bare bones of the tracks on the EP. Having said that, one of the tracks is Aisling Gheal, Bright Vision, a track we have discussed previously here - it is also much loved by Iaral O'Lionaird; but it doesn't feature on the EP.
              Brilliant, G. The Clare accent, like the Galway cousin, fades like a wisp of mist - or is it me? But MH's playing is always clear and sparkling. He even makes the Boyne Water sound like a rebel anthem!

That calls for a pint - but seeing what day it is, an idiosyncratic one. Down the hatch!

A pretty girl challenges me to a Guinness drinking contest outside a pub in Galway, Ireland. She destroys me in seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post

Great to hear 'Lafferty's Reel' in there, GT...my Mum is a Lafferty; but of course the whole thing was a delight...the guy is a treasure!

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  Great to hear 'Lafferty's Reel' in there, GT...my Mum is a Lafferty; but of course the whole thing was a delight...the guy is a treasure!
                  I've always thought you were a right old Lafferty JC - turns out I was right. (actually my daughter is a Wright - and a teacher... )

MH is a national treasure and should be UNESCO protected, bit like the wonderful Armenian Djivan Gasparyan
                  Armenian Duduk - Djivan Gasparyanhttps://www.facebook.com/ArmeniansUnited

Comment

"Now It Is Here, The Right Time" - let's hope so. Gregg E. Schneeman, playing his bowed psaltery.
                    genuinely unclassifiable - so this thread is the right place....

My Bowed Psaltery Psolo of this melody written by Louis Pinck in 1928 used as the setting for "Nun ist sie da, die rechte Zeit" - "Now It Is Here, The Right ...

Comment

Lopa Kothari chose the 5-track playlist for the recent edition of Songlines magazine, and among them was this this take on Korean opera by Leenalchi - 'Tiger is Coming' - more idiosyncratic than random I would attest. Takes a wee bit to attune the ear, but I've started to rather enjoy it. Spacy video to go along with it - reminds me of staring at one of those 3-D books that were popular for a while, where you had to try to get your eyes out of focus to see what was hidden on the page - do not attempt while operating machinery.
                      범 내려온다. 범이 내려온다.장림깊은 골로 대한 짐승이 내려온다.몸은 얼숭덜숭, 꼬리는 잔뜩 한 발이 넘고, 누에머리 흔들며,전동같은 앞다리,동아같은 뒷발로양 귀 찌어지고,쇠낫같은 발톱으로 잔디뿌리 왕모래를 촤르르르르 흩치며, 주홍 입 쩍 벌리고 ‘워리렁’ 허는 소리하늘이 무너지고...

Comment

Ballake Sissoko is pretty much dominating the airwaves in these parts at the moment...and the 'idiosyncratic' bit could be that he is so welcoming of a female kora player.
                        Seems ridiculous, but Sona Jobarteh who comes from one of 5 main kora-playing griot families, is the first female virtuoso ever.

📀 New album Djourou: https://idol.lnk.to/Djourou🔔 Subscribe to Nø Førmat!: https://bit.ly/NoFormatYT► Watch Ballaké's videos: https://bit.ly/DjourouPlaylis...

As one of the comments says "the only sound better than one kora is two koras"

Comment

Back to Petroc, Global. I was watching 'Chernobyl' this last week or so and a wonderful series it was. Today is the thirty-fifth anniversary of the explosion and he played this piece from the terrific soundtrack by Hildur Guðnadóttir. This is 'Vichnaya Pamyat' (Eternal Memory) performed by the Homin Lviv Municipal Choir.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                            Back to Petroc, Global. I was watching 'Chernobyl' this last week or so and a wonderful series it was. Today is the thirty-fifth anniversary of the explosion and he played this piece from the terrific soundtrack by Hildur Guðnadóttir. This is 'Vichnaya Pamyat' (Eternal Memory) performed by the Homin Lviv Municipal Choir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNNNuipslK4
                            V partial to the works of Ms Guðnadóttir from time to time.
                            Thinking of starting a “What Petroc played next”... thread cos earlier he’d played some Jobarteh and Trenet. What a guy...

Comment

Thought I'd post this item about the 'Collective Signal - Miss Millivolt' from Holland - an early warning siren that can be heard across the whole of Holland. There's a piece that has been composed to celebrate the death knell (perhaps) of the siren, which is at the end of the article.

Comment

High tea in Brighton Floral Pavilion and a guy with a shiny suit introducing seems idiosyncratic enough for me to post Karine and co doing a great take on 'New England'.
                                Karine Polwart Trio sing Billy Bragg's "A New England" (the mighty Kirsty MacColl version) backstage at the Floral Pavilion in New Brighton, October 2012.

Comment

Working...
                                X