Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
    And what an excellent show it was from the good doctor. The griot version of 'rap' sounds more like a natural musical evolution - a form well suited to their needs. Some superb musicianship, presented with intelligence & thought. If you didn't catch it, remember that's what iplayer is for...
    Aoua Kassemady has a very beautiful voice and Amkoullel and Dr Duran were a great double act. Rap sounds much more at home in West Africa and feels like it is moving on rather than standing still as it feels like it does in UK and US. The language feels so much more appropriate for the genre. Great show. Let's hope that the music is there forever as was said in the programme and doesn't get squished by the present troubles.

Comment

I once spent a few days in a Katmandhu Hospital recovering from malaria (I caught it somewhere in Iran or Pakistan - at first the docs didn't know what it was - but that's another tale for another day). So it was fascinating to revisit the anarchy of Nepal which Lucy experienced in the first half of the excellent World Routes visit to Bhaktapur broadcast on Sunday - loads of drums, bells and screaming kids - culminating in the magnificently titled 'Inside the Open Toilet Group'. Dr Duran sounded like she was struggling to keep it together - but in a nice way.

Then followed a very different last twenty minutes of calming restful mountain music to send us gently to slumberland - very beautiful.

Comment

Nothing unexpected in the Album Review this evening... however Japanese Koto player Fuyuki Enokido is in the studio, which looks good.

Including a review of new world music albums, and a studio session with Fuyuki Enokido.

Comment

Looking forward to hearing World Routes from Kenya this evening. A troupe of Massai Warriors came to the local High School recently and it was most enjoyable to meet and see them perform. I particularly loved the whistling - wish I could whistle like that. Wonder if there will be any of that tonight.

Lucy Duran is in Kenya to record the Massai singing about the dangers of cattle raiding.
          Last edited by johncorrigan; 21-10-12, 12:22. Reason: whistles!

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            Looking forward to hearing World Routes from Kenya this evening. A troupe of Massai Warriors came to the local High School recently and it was most enjoyable to meet and see them perform. I particularly loved the whistling - wish I could whistle like that. Wonder if there will be any of that tonight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ngnjx
            great percussion but no whistling tonight - this far jc..... but it's early days, (after a late kick off, and a burst of ravel).

plus i've only just noticed that on the iplayer the doc is photographed with her tardis behind her, waiting to go on another valiant mission no doubt! (i've always been too distracted by the striking design on her shirt to notice).

it sounds like tonight is an especially magical dibble dabble with the recording gear.

hark! i hear whistling jc, you're in luck!
            Last edited by Guest; 21-10-12, 23:12. Reason: yes

Comment

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
              great percussion but no whistling tonight - this far jc..... but it's early days, (after a late kick off, and a burst of ravel).

plus i've only just noticed that on the iplayer the doc is photographed with her tardis behind her, waiting to go on another valiant mission no doubt! (i've always been too distracted by the striking design on her shirt to notice).

it sounds like tonight is an especially magical dibble dabble with the recording gear.

hark! i hear whistling jc, you're in luck!
              Dr Lucy would make an excellent Time Lord, handsome - digging out the old songs of the cybermen and investigating the adapted thumb pianos of the Daleks. Loved the opening songs and though there was a wee bit whistling I could have done with a spot more.

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nphb9.html
                In which Dr.Lucy goes all the way to Greece for a piece of fresh fish & to sort out the economic situation with some cool sounds, a few kind words and a pint of ouzo to wash down her kokoretsi.
                I can think of no-one better equipped.

Oh yes, she went to Womex too; listen to Dr. Lucy playing for us right now the people we're going to be listening to over the next year. Includes a surprising description of Afro-Peruvian dances such as cone burning and hip tying told in Dr. L's usual calm style...

It's good WOMEX is still going innit?

Comment

In which the good doctor cleverly bridges several worlds with the incomparable sounds of a certain Mulatu Astatke.

Couldn't we have him as Composer of the week?

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                    In which the good doctor cleverly bridges several worlds with the incomparable sounds of a certain Mulatu Astatke.
                    Scottish grannie in there somewhere, Global, it would appear - he's coming to Celtic Connections in Jan.

Comment

Scottish grannie in there somewhere, Global, it would appear - he's coming to Celtic Connections in Jan.
                      And this too -

The Celtic Connections festival is to stage a tribute concert to the late Scottish folk legend Michael Marra.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                        This looks mighty appealing too, Lat.

Comment

This looks mighty appealing too, Lat.
                          http://www.celticconnections.com/Eve...ev=428&ca=Folk
                          Yes indeed. Thanks for that John. I do hope they will televise it in England. CC is now one of the best festivals. If it was outdoors, in the summer and, dare I say it, here in the South East, I would be tempted to break my festival hiatus.

They have got Anais, that famous Bulgarian choir, Salif Keita, Eric Bibb, the Dardanelles, Anda Union, Mulatu Astatke, Steve Cropper and very much more besides. Funnily enough, I see that there is even a place for Martin Stephenson.

Speaking of the late 1980s, whatever happened to that mysterious singer who used to accompany the Bronte Brothers? There was a lot of talk that her writing, when scrutinised, wasn't quite as deep as she appeared. That is true. She was, though, young. The fading career seemed to prove the point. But there was charisma and her talent is entirely suited to a late, extraordinary, bloom.

Last edited by Guest; 05-12-12, 07:25.

Comment

Great session from Sidi Toure tonight - last track in particular - excellent.

Comment

Great session from Sidi Toure tonight - last track in particular - excellent.
                              Another programme that was too flaming short. I liked the reviewers, intelligent and constructive; that's a great format. Despite gently poking fun at the good Doctor she is the most authoritative person I know on what I suppose we have to call the'World Music Scene'. Long may she broadcast.

The situation in Mali is terrible though - sticking a knife into the musical soul of the world.
                              Last edited by Globaltruth; 04-12-12, 16:41. Reason: add a little plug for SOAS

Comment

Like the handsome one posted elsewhere I also very much enoyed the first of the Greek WRs especially Glykeria and her band. Moshe's no bad as the host either. Looking forward to part 2.
                                Moshe Morad visits Athens, presenting music from Manolis Karantinis and Glykeria.

Comment

Working...
                                X