Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brighton Gull View Post
    I've just heard that R3 is thinking of presenting a new programme on Saturdays, between 3 & 5pm, where celebs pick their favourite music - I think I have that info right. If I am correct, does anyone know what will happen to World Routes?
    As a newcomer to World Music and Late Junction, I hope I'm not just in time to see the whole of this musical genre axed from Radio 3 - along with Jazz, which has also suffered.

No doubt Roger Wright has plans to attract more listeners to Classical Music, but unfortunately such plans do not include my tastes.

Is there I wonder a commercial radio station that broadcasts World Music?.

Comment

I think we're safe for a while yet Oddball as BBC Corp still has boxes to tick and the worldly stuff is in very good broadcasting hands
      at R3. The untapped audiences of course are largely elsewhere at 1 & 2 ( 6 has sort of come on board after much criticism )
      And always remember that out there good old wfmu will give you a few ears and years worth of listening any time you choose.

PS
      Those ideas to attract 'classical' listeners are pretty lame, imo.

PPS
      Some worldly hotspots at wfmu:

Give The Drummer Some

Shrunken Planet

Transpacific Sound Paradise

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
        By the way Global - saw Alasdair Fraser in Dundee last night along with a couple of other artists- interesting event - they let three musicians on a residence to mark the 60th anniversary of the School of Scottish Studies.
        The Centre for Research Collections is the main space for anyone using Edinburgh University’s historic collections.

The guy who works under the name Wounded Knee had a great voice and did a re-working of Shoals of herring using lines that he picked up when listening to fishermen in the archives. Alasdair is doing work based around 'Galoshins' which is a rather obscure mummers type play that was performed by kids up till the thirties across Central Scotland. Anyway they're doing a tour. In the process I found out that one of my neighbours has been part of a project about the Dighty Burn in Dundee and AF did a song for his wee film. You could jump across the Dighty most of the way on its route from the Sidlaws to the Tay but when the jute was at its highest production it was one of the most industrialised bits of water in the coutry.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXEFB8_cCVc
        I'll check out Wounded Knee -the only 1 I know of similar ilk is a place where the Lakota were buried.
        And Galoshins too - there was talk of a mummers play in these parts based on what 'used to happen' (which seemed to involve a lot of and mocking comment whilst dressed as various characters - started off with a lantern procession led by kids.) and then there was the CW/Hugh Lupton investigation of same for LJ. It's getting to be that time of year again isn't it.

I liked the YouToob showing the dull, grey, shiny Dighty Burn - thought it was impressive what you could do with some moody lighting, a bit of creative editing, a headless doll, a torch and some imagination...

somewhere recently I read a piece about musicians borrowing each others guitars. Someone (wished I could remember who) said they'd lent Alasdair Fraser a guitar and it had never sounded the same again.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
          I think we're safe for a while yet .......
          And always remember that out there good old wfmu will give you a few ears and years worth of listening any time you choose.
          Many thanks Paul - that will keep me going, possibly for as long as I need.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
            Many thanks Paul - that will keep me going, possibly for as long as I need.
            And don't forget FIP, Mark Coles, froots radio and this bunch of guys on Spotify who have brought together a rare hybrid of constantly evolving toons.

If you have any probs tracking down any of the above, just post back here.
            And welcome aboard - plenty of room in this Quiet Corner...

Comment

Yes, a very warm welcome Oddball. Just one humble plea. Please don't put dodgy commercial pop music clips from Polskie Radio Trojka on here. You know the stuff I mean. We Are The Mutants. It really isn't acceptable and wouldn't be allowed.

Trójmiejska grupa udostępniła w sieci klip do singla zapowiadającego płytę "Mutanty".

(PS - Is that guy in the burgundy hat a young Andy?)

Comment

Only 50 mins for WR tomorrow as R3 has something much much more important to give us....though they do have those Voix Mystere on......... but MAK played a track from this tonight from WR on the road - looks interesting.

Comment

Even from the wee transistor in the corner of the kitchen the live sounds of 'Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares' remain pretty awe inspiring, and even though the performance contained some of the familiar greats I was gripped throughout.

Record review was on too - Rita Ray's two picks, African Gypsy and Aziz Sahmaoui and the University of Gnawa sounded great. I was less persuaded that we were listening to psychedelic South Korean music of the 60s - sounded more like a Spector girl band.

There's no WR next week - R3 are 'letting people sing' which has bumped a play by Ibsen back an hour and there's only one way R3 schedulers know how to compensate - bump World Routes ( so the continuity guy said anyway). Then same friendly continuity announcer informs that WR two weeks hence will start at the earlier time of something that I've forgotten - so basically WR could be on anytime between sunset and sunrise but only after the watershed and that only if Easter doesn't intervene and jupiter is aligned with mars but probably a Sunday maybe. etc etc etc.
                  Last edited by johncorrigan; 10-10-11, 14:14. Reason: continuity announcers...what are they like?

Comment

Yes, I noted this chop and change too. On paper, the additional quarter of an hour in two weeks time compensates for this week's lost minutes. That would be ok-ish if the gap of a week was a one-off. However, there is no way of knowing. Seeing that it has come so early in the new "schedule", I am pretty disgusted by it. What worries me is that this might be the biggest untold story of all the recent unhappy developments. World music? Oh, stick it there. We've got a few spare minutes etc. It looks that way.

This then is a formal request to anyone who might be able to help. People who have some insider knowledge. Yes, PS, GT and ff, your country needs you. Can we be told soon please what on earth RW is doing with WR? In other words, let's have the info as it is from the powers that be rather than as not told in the press releases. I'm planning my months up to Christmas now. Ta.

As for the programme on Sunday, I completely agree JC on LMDVB. Excellent - really excellent - and it is a shame it was so short. Did they do any more that we will get to hear at a later date? There was I thinking naively that we would at least have 50 minutes of them. As for the record review, no, I didn't go for it much. Wasn't overly keen on the two guests - and I know that RR is close to MR but still - and the tracks were pleasant enough without being thrilling. Think though that I was a bit miserable about that bit because there was that shadow of the axe man hovering ominously over the entire proceedings.
                    Last edited by Guest; 10-10-11, 20:32.

Comment

I have no insider knowledge on WR, my take on this is that compared to the jazzers we've got off lightly...so far.

Mind you there isn't much WM to mess about with so any tweaks, cuts and moves are highly noticeable.

Write to Roger Wright - right?

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                        Did they do any more that we will get to hear at a later date? .
                        Mary Ann played a song recorded by Les Voix for World Routes in Wo3 on Friday night Lat.

Comment

Thanks to both of you. I will write but he doesn't reply. He didn't reply to the one I sent on jazz to help Calum.

Comment

Mary Ann played a song recorded by Les Voix for World Routes in Wo3 on Friday night Lat.
                            I've been trying not to gloat over the fact that I saw them live in a cathedral not long ago. But I can resist no more.
                            Tres polyphonique. And a bit giggly.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                              I've been trying not to gloat over the fact that I saw them live in a cathedral not long ago. But I can resist no more.
                              Tres polyphonique. And a bit giggly.
                              ...at the end of WR they were a bit coughy.

Comment

...at the end of WR they were a bit coughy.
                                That'll be the smoke from Dr. Lucy's pipe.
                                That mixture of old shag and finest golden St. Bruno is a heady mix which brings tears to the eyes I'm told.

Comment

Working...
                                X