Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
    That'll be the smoke from Dr. Lucy's pipe.
    That mixture of old shag and finest golden St. Bruno is a heady mix which brings tears to the eyes I'm told.
    All them years on the World Routes Trail is beginning to take its toll on the good doctor.

Comment

Had a listen to Lopa from Womex - some nice stuff - a good if slightly commercial Klezmer outfit; a Vanuatan sounding like a reincarnation of Cat Stevens; a joyful crew from Lesotho ( if you don't listen to anything else etc); nice but serious bit of Danish fiddle; and a very good Mexican crew doing Colombian accordion. I suppose some of these bands end up here feeling like they can make a name for themselves. Sotho Sounds said in response to Lopa's question that they had come here but had to try to find their own money; that Aid is not available to help people when they want to break out and take their music to new markets - so they got a bit of help and pretty much did it themselves. Their first piece was a cracker. Overall I enjoyed the programme - really enjoyed the Celso Piña pieces - though listening on spotty I ended up with a track rather over-influenced by Manu Chao and another that sounded like a Buena Vista lift. I do like his voice mind you. More from Lopa at Womex next week.

Comment

good Mexican crew doing Colombian accordion.

loved it too.

I suppose some of these bands end up here feeling like they can make a name for themselves.

presumably little realising that it's tough, especially for unknown musicians? interesting that they came to euro, didn't just hop over the border, to the US....?

Sotho Sounds said in response to Lopa's question that they had come here but had to try to find their own money; that Aid is not available to help people when they want to break out and take their music to new markets - so they got a bit of help and pretty much did it themselves.

a bit of an understatement, where nth mex is concerned. best of luck to them - in 'doing it for themselves' ....they'll probably be very adept, as in rhino-skinned and hungry which'll be useful. they've obviously hit the jackpot, playing at 'womex', i hope someone will take 'sotho sounds' under their wing here.

statistically, life expectancy isn't very high in parts of mex. and unfortunately, didn't he say he was from monterrey, north mex? (poor sids). sometimes, cash isn't everything, if 'sotho sounds-sinawali' stay here, it might just add a decade, or so, to their lives.

no wonder the band's music is electrifying, the accordian possessed, as though there's no tomorrow. (although typing the above makes me feel like caligula, or some loony character from an r3 opera).

imv they sound absolutely fantastic.

Sotho Sounds — Sinawali

Performers: Josepha Kojoane Chaka (One String Fiddle, Lead Vocals, Accordion) Khothatso Ranoosi (Vocals, guitar) Paseka Mohale (Percussion, vocals & dance) Risenga Makondo (Drums) Tankiso Pita (Vocals, Bass Guitar) Tseliso Rantho (Vocals, Lead Guitar)

(ps over-influenced by Manu Chao

yes, it's an annoyingly familiar problem. slightly countered by the reasoning: better to have many influenced by mc, than other unmentionables ........arguably?

also very much enjoyed lopa's special 'throaty witch laugh' ...hope she does this again soon! why wait for halloween)!?

Comment

I seem to remember the corresponding programmes last year, hsf and felt very uncomfortable - perhaps it's my dodgy recall but they concentrated quite a bit on the business side of things - this time Lopa was very concentrated on the music.
          I suppose for Celso Piña the opportunity to break out from Mexico is easier outside North America - I imagine a large amount of the media outlet, and thus the audience for his music may well straddle the border but not permit any crossover. I really enjoyed his stuff - by the way, it was a track on spotify that had a bit of the MC influence not the two he was playing on WR, but I take your point nonetheless.

....and your comments about what awaits these artistes and others at Womex were very strong. It was called a Festival by the Sotho Sounds, but it never quite sounds like that - I think what I felt uncomfortable about last year's broadcasts was that it sounded more like a cattle market to me. At least with R3 coverage this year a couple of these bands might make a breakthrough.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            I

....and your comments about what awaits these artistes and others at Womex were very strong. It was called a Festival by the Sotho Sounds, but it never quite sounds like that - I think what I felt uncomfortable about last year's broadcasts was that it sounded more like a cattle market to me. At least with R3 coverage this year a couple of these bands might make a breakthrough.
            Interesting post from you both - encapsulated by the 'cattle market' comment from JC - I heartily agree, and annually rail against this.

Particularly when you see the advertising... but UNESCO say

"The most important international professional market of world music of every kind. This international fair brings together professionals from the worlds of folk, roots, ethnic and traditional music and also includes concerts, conferences and documentary films. It contributes to networking as an effective means of promoting music and culture of all kinds across frontiers."

I suppose if you look at it in those terms then the transactional side perhaps has to be an acceptable aspect.
            Although I'm not convincing myself here - I still feel on some occasions that a new WM group is heavily promoted, performs around the globe and then sinks back into obscurity.
            There are a lot of similarities with Cirque du Soleil performers, their lifetimes as performers can be short, some of the attraction is from their
            exotic
            value, they must become mightily bored doing exactly the same act over and over again unless they are allowed to evolve, but World Music artistes are even more dependent on the people who pay for product or to attend performances - how many Sa Ding Ding concerts would you go to in a lifetime? How much of her product would you buy?

So should we consciously shun the WM hype as we shun the frumious bandersnatch?
            Last edited by Globaltruth; 16-11-11, 15:40. Reason: wanted to get the vorpal blade in somewhere...

Comment

For those who realise that soul does not just mean Otis and Percy, I can heartily recommend Kayhan Kalhor and co on this week's World Routes. Thankfully, nobody called it Persian blues.

Comment

Originally posted by zola View Post
                For those who realise that soul does not just mean Otis and Percy, I can heartily recommend Kayhan Kalhor and co on this week's World Routes. Thankfully, nobody called it Persian blues.
                Thanks zola. I'll have another go to listen.

Back when WR was on a Saturday afternoon, if you switched on and heard a blast of something vaguely classical you were immediately aware that WR had been bumped in favour of something from the Wigmore Hall or the like, and I usually headed for the footie.

Since the shift to Sunday, WR can start any time from about 8 onwards till about 10.30 and beyond. It's just shifted here and there at somebody's whim, it would seem. I mean I don't expect total uniformity but a wee bit of it might help. So I was completely scunnered last night to turn it on and find out after a listings check that I'd already missed it - ok I should have looked before- after all silly old sausage me was expecting Womex part two at some time vaguely resembling the time Womex part one was on the week before.
                I mean last week WR was 10pm, this week 8.30pm, next week it's 10.30 pm. Give us a break R3 folks - how much info are we supposed to store in our aging heads. Yours sincerely, Fair Vexed and Confused, Angus.
                Last edited by johncorrigan; 21-11-11, 21:11. Reason: Honestly!!!!

Comment

Thanks zola. I'll have another go to listen.

Back when WR was on a Saturday afternoon, if you switched on and heard a blast of something vaguely classical you were immediately aware that WR had been bumped in favour of something from the Wigmore Hall or the like, and I usually headed for the footie.

Since the shift to Sunday, WR can start any time from about 8 onwards till about 10.30 and beyond. It's just shifted here and there at somebody's whim, it would seem. I mean I don't expect total uniformity but a wee bit of it might help. So I was completely scunnered last night to turn it on and find out after a listings check that I'd already missed it - ok I should have looked before- after all silly old sausage me was expecting Womex part two at some time vaguely resembling the time Womex part one was on the week before.
                  I mean last week WR was 10pm, this week 8.30pm, next week it's 10.30 pm. Give us a break R3 folks - how much info are we supposed to store in our aging heads. Yours sincerely, Fair Vexed and Confused, Angus.
                  Well, a big to this post - I have given up trying to listen to WR because of this.
                  Which is a real shame given the hard work that goes into producing the programme.

I wonder if there IS a regular slot? Or is it a new style of 'mystery' scheduling for reasons unknown to mere mortals.

In the past I'd have dropped a quick email to roger.wright@bbc.co.uk but it's pointless.

We should be grateful I suppose that it is still there - but I wouldn't be surprised if they cancel it due to poor listening figures...

Comment

In the past I'd have dropped a quick email to roger.wright@bbc.co.uk but it's pointless.
                    grr:
                    To paraphrase Chairman Jack from last week's 'I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue', I fear that, regarding the listener, Rog and his mates in the higher echelons can't decide whether to not give a toss or a monkeys.
                    Last edited by johncorrigan; 22-11-11, 10:37. Reason: ....or a flying &$%*!

Comment

To paraphrase Chairman Jack from last week's 'I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue', I fear that, regarding the listener, Rog and his mates in the higher echelons can't decide whether to not give a toss or a monkeys.
                      I actually emailed World Routes,but they also have not deigned to reply (that's world.routes@bbc.co.uk). Discourteous but predictable.

However I took the time to register this thread in their 'Buzz' section, and it has now appeared... (thanks to someone called Dave)
                      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006tnmp

so not only will the popularity of Buzz be proved by loads of new World music fans on this forum, but also I'm sure someone responsible for the non-scheduling will be shamed into answering.

On a positive note, this weeks upcoming show, a retrospective look at the work of music collector and ethnographer Jean Jenkins, looks a real cracker. It's on SUNDAY at 22.30. Maybe.
                      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017lz83

Wonder if they'll ever put the collection online...
                      http://www.nms.ac.uk/our_museums/nat...and_lives.aspx
                      Last edited by Globaltruth; 23-11-11, 13:27. Reason: quick plug for Sundays show - wonder if Lucy knew her...

Comment

>>>>Wonder if they'll ever put the collection online...

I can't say that I'm being 100% accurate with this claim but The British Sound Archive has stacks of fascinating stuff on file ...
                        which I think you could only access ( ie listen to ) if you had some legitimate academic status. Well I had a look around the house but could
                        only find a well-worn cycling proficiency badge but no certificate. But Sunday's Lucy Show does sound like one to make a date with.
                        Whatever time it's on !

PS
                        I know someone who borrowed a few items from the BSA without the required qualifications but she or he has now fled the country.

Comment

On a positive note, this weeks upcoming show, a retrospective look at the work of music collector and ethnographer Jean Jenkins, looks a real cracker. It's on SUNDAY at 22.30. Maybe.
                          http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017lz83

Wonder if they'll ever put the collection online...
                          http://www.nms.ac.uk/our_museums/nat...and_lives.aspx
                          Thanks for all that stuff Global - I'm going to go look for that next time I'm in Edina for a visit.

Now to the main topic of this post - the Jean Jenkins programme was interesting but the programme was only 30 minutes - some nice sounds mind you and a few good Doctor Duran insights.

....and next week we've got Lopa on part 2 from Womex - 22.40. 50 minutes long - can't wait to find the timings for the following week - I'm thinking of running a sweep on the times of forthcoming WRs. I can foresee a lot of rollovers occurring. (no insider dealing allowed)

Comment

They still haven't replied to my email on the scheduling, which is quite entertaining as there is a link to this actual thread on the Bbc World Routes website.

90 mins WM a week...yikes

Comment

Don't worry - they never ever even acknowledged my very friendly comments that started after this post Global,; and that was ages ago - in fact I'd forgotten it till now.
                              Last edited by johncorrigan; 29-11-11, 02:16. Reason: note to self - arrange that curry with Rog!

Comment

- the Jean Jenkins programme was interesting but the programme was only 30 minutes - some nice sounds mind you and a few good Doctor Duran insights.
                                this was a TV programme put on the radio.

A mistake the BBC sometimes make.

There was so much intriguing material, only the surface was skimmed and the briefest insight into her character came across.

30 mins on the radio was pathetically short.

Having said that, a terrific programme - I suspect Jean Jenkins was really the pioneer of World Music not those Johnny-come-lately's who like to lay claim to 'inventing' it...

Comment

Working...
                                X