Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really enjoy Fatoumata Diawara's voice and it was a fine session on KT's WP last night, a Radio France recording from last summer...wonder if we'll still get such things after the entity whose name I dare not speak occurs.

Comment

If such sharing is through the EBU we should be OK, I guess.

If otherwise, who knows!

Comment

Doing a spot of catch-up on previous Music Planet shows and I really enjoyed Argentinian singer La Yegros and her band from KT's show last week. Really terrific relaxed sounds from the north of the country.
        Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Enjoyed the road trip to the Philippines too.

Comment

Music Planet from Kathryn Tickell - quite dark in places but overall an excellent programme.
          Beginning with Miriam Makemba singing a protest song, Dubula in the Xhosa dialect (I think). If it's actually a version of Aw Dubul'ibhunu then it's about shooting Boers which is perhaps slightly unexpected.
          'Dubula, dubula' does mean 'shoot, shoot'

followed by Lisa O'Neill in session, her track Violet Gibson being very moving;
          more about Violet Gibson here:
          Irish woman Violet Gibson attempted to assassinate the Italian fascist leader Benito Mussolini and actually shot him in the face on April 7, 1926.

Mitigated later by Angélique Kidjo singing (perhaps appropriately) "Life is a carnival", so some proportion restored.

Road trip to the Réunion Island in the Indian Ocean, and the Taihitian Choir.
          Last edited by Globaltruth; 13-07-19, 13:39. Reason: Radio 3 plays a decent 'World Music" programme...worth commenting on that.

Comment

After K. Tickell we had the ubiquitous mixtape here known as the Music Planet World Mix - is it just to save a few quid on presenter fees?

Global beats and roots music from every corner of the world.

It’s not a great idea - there’s a bunch of algorithms on various streaming services straining at the leash which can generate this endlessly. Although it’s pleasant to be reminded of Caetano Veloso...
            Last edited by Globaltruth; 14-07-19, 08:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
              Music Planet from Kathryn Tickell - quite dark in places but overall an excellent programme.
              Beginning with Miriam Makemba singing a protest song, Dubula in the Xhosa dialect (I think). If it's actually a version of Aw Dubul'ibhunu then it's about shooting Boers which is perhaps slightly unexpected.
              'Dubula, dubula' does mean 'shoot, shoot'

followed by Lisa O'Neill in session, her track Violet Gibson being very moving;
              more about Violet Gibson here:
              Irish woman Violet Gibson attempted to assassinate the Italian fascist leader Benito Mussolini and actually shot him in the face on April 7, 1926.

Mitigated later by Angélique Kidjo singing (perhaps appropriately) "Life is a carnival", so some proportion restored.

Road trip to the Réunion Island in the Indian Ocean, and the Taihitian Choir.
              Decided to follow your recommendation, Global, and listen to KT's programme with the wonderful Lisa O'Neill...hadn't heard 'Violet Gibson' before, or heard of her. Thanks for the information about her. Loved hearing the Rapa Nui choir again - hadn't heard it in ages. Since KT and Lisa O'Neill mentioned Margaret Barry, here she is singing 'The Flower of Strabane'. I seem to recall that she was a favourite of David Attenborough who managed to get a message to her and got her to record for the BBC when he was starting out...think Lomax may have been involved.
              THE raw, uncompromising voice of the street singer had to carry above the noisy chatter of the fair or football crowd. Ballad singer Margaret Barry rarely fa...

Comment

It's not often that I have a laugh during Music Planet, but Cypriots, Monsieur Doumani, were a very entertaining and amusing interview crew and sang some fine songs...they've just got Group of the Year from Songlines magazine. The mighty Martyn Bennett was Artist of the week - excellent- and there was some more fine Scottish themed pieces including Fowlis and Polwart singing about the Mountain Hare....and Kadiale Kouyate's track was a beauty too. I do enjoy Music Planet on a Saturday afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  It's not often that I have a laugh during Music Planet, but Cypriots, Monsieur Doumani, were a very entertaining and amusing interview crew and sang some fine songs...they've just got Group of the Year from Songlines magazine. The mighty Martyn Bennett was Artist of the week - excellent- and there was some more fine Scottish themed pieces including Fowlis and Polwart singing about the Mountain Hare....and Kadiale Kouyate's track was a beauty too. I do enjoy Music Planet on a Saturday afternoon.
                  https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000c2rx
                  All the above plus a repeat of David Attenborough's excellent MixTape. A musical iconoclast.

Comment

Fair enjoyed the Serbian road trip yesterday...and the Irish/Chinese throat-singers who made good guests, I thought.
                    Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Comment

Enjoyable show from Ms Tickell this week. Bit of Mapfumo to mark the 40th anniversary of Zimbabwean Independence and a crackin', I thought, track from Fra Fra entitled 'Orphans'. Interesting guest too, calling in from NY, Moroccan-born musician, Amino Balyamani, who takes old Moroccan tapes and uploads them on his website - he played some fine tracks. Here's his site -

...great sleeves as you might imagine.

Comment

Very enjoyable show yesterday, even if an hour is not enough.. hadn't thought that for a while. And they repeated the Colombian Road Trip...I mean it's really enjoyable, but it doesn't seem that long since it was on. However, the ever personable Kathryn did have Cheikha Rimitti as classic artist of the week and played this crackin' bit of reggae-inspired rai, which she apparently made at the age of 83 (Cheikha, not Kathryn)...wow!
                        Découvrez les albums de Cheikha Rimitti : N’ta Goudami : http://po.st/rimittiNtagoudami Nouar : http://po.st/cheikharimittiNouar Sidi Mansour : http://po.st/...

Comment

Great liststening whilst making refried beans

Comment

refried road trip but yes, Top Tickell.

Comment

Nice to hear Max distancely visit the Music Planet studio this afternoon to talk about Tony Allen. The tributes keep coming to this giant of African music.

Comment

Crackin' edition today with KT, topped off by this delight from Shirley Collins' forthcoming record - 'Wondrous Love'...quite wondrous, actually!
                                Shirley Collins - "Wondrous Love", from 'Heart's Ease', out now on DominoSubscribe to Domino Record Co on YouTube: http://smarturl.it/DominoYTPre-order 'Hear...

Comment

Working...
                                X