Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    Somehow the choice of music from Kathryn's shows is always much more to my liking than Lopa's programmes, and so it proved again today. Some fine choices in there including more excellent sounds from Benin's Star Feminine Band, and the star of Benin, Angelique Kidjo...great to hear her.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000sxvk
    Remember back in the day when we were spoiled for choice - with more than two presenters....

Comment

Was travelling back from the central belt conurbs and managed to catch some of KT's show yesterday - great road trip to Colombia celebrating Vallenato music (my road trip was less interesting, I should add)...and other things including Ballake and a track near the end by Casey Driessen which I would like to hear more of - very entertaining.
      Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Comment

The programme is worth listening to in full, if only because years after I first posted about this idea, she finally does a feature on the one and only Yma Sumac, and a very clear explanation of the way her American promoters presented her to the public "this ain't no folk singer, this is a GENUINE PRINCESS"

Also here is the Casey Driessen track which I came on here to post.

Track 8 • Otherlands:ONEFor short films and stories from this performance and other collaborations on Otherlands:ONE, please visit: http://www.caseydriessen....

This time the voice reminds me of a Martyn Bennett track...or is it just me JC?

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
          The programme is worth listening to in full, if only because years after I first posted about this idea, she finally does a feature on the one and only Yma Sumac, and a very clear explanation of the way her American promoters presented her to the public "this ain't no folk singer, this is a GENUINE PRINCESS"

Also here is the Casey Driessen track which I came on here to post.

Track 8 • Otherlands:ONEFor short films and stories from this performance and other collaborations on Otherlands:ONE, please visit: http://www.caseydriessen....

This time the voice reminds me of a Martyn Bennett track...or is it just me JC?
          That is one great track, GT...thanks! I joined the programme after Yma Sumac but caught her on the i-player - she is a one off! Most enjoyable show as usual from KT.

Comment

Great to hear the mighty Toumanu Diabate on KT's programme on Saturday. Played a track from his recent collaboration with the London Symphony Orchestra among other things.There was a wee tribute to that recent octogenarian, Martin Carthy in there too.
            Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Comment

Carthy one of the very greats.
              Need to hear more of him.

Comment

Great to hear the mighty Toumanu Diabate on KT's programme on Saturday. Played a track from his recent collaboration with the London Symphony Orchestra among other things.There was a wee tribute to that recent octogenarian, Martin Carthy in there too.
                https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000wkd6
                One of the best shows for a while. Great interview with Toumani... I’d love to hear more.
                To paraphrase “ the LSO all had their music written on bits of paper, I didn’t, some of these songs have been passed down in my family for 700 years old yet there is no such thing as African classical music”

Comment

Great to be reminded of 'Fuego de Cumbia' by Los Gaiteros de San Jacinto on KT's Music Planet on Saturday - such a mesmerising sound.
                  Listen to the official audio for Los Gaiteros de San Jacinto's "Fuego de Cumbia (Cumbia Fire)" from their 2006 release on Smithsonian Folkways, 'Un Fuego de ...

Comment

Another fine show from Kathryn Tickell yesterday - I was particularly surprised at how much I enjoyed the section with Cypriot, Antonis Antoniou. The background to the music about the line dividing the two parts of Cyprus, and how Covid had forced the closure of the crossing points was interesting, and I enjoyed the music Antoniou was making. And there was also a track by the amazing sound of Tuva's Yat-Kha...there really is no sound quite like it.

Comment

Our favourite Pet morning DJ played this fine piece this week, part of his Watty Scott tribute - KT accompanying June Tabor on 'The Battle of Otterburn'.
                      Provided to YouTube by IDOLThe Battle of Otterburn · June TaborAn Echo of Hooves℗ TopicReleased on: 2003-01-01Lyricist: Kathryn TickellLyricist: June TaborCo...

Comment

Sorry to grumble, but Music Planet has, once again, and for the following two weeks, decided to mine the archives of their World Music mixtapes. I mean, they're not even new ones - they've 'mined the archives'...not like they've been digging through some recently unearthed crates of 78s - they're just sticking an old tape on and linking it together with a a bit of KT trying to put a bit of gloss on it.

Comment

Sorry to grumble, but Music Planet has, once again, and for the following two weeks, decided to mine the archives of their World Music mixtapes. I mean, they're not even new ones - they've 'mined the archives'...not like they've been digging through some recently unearthed crates of 78s - they're just sticking an old tape on and linking it together with a a bit of KT trying to put a bit of gloss on it.
                          Perhaps it's a test to see if anyone actually notices?

Comment

I’m wondering how much longer Music Planet will actually survive?

This is totally uninspired mixtape work.
                            I’d prefer 30 mins of Dr L chomping down on her trusty briar and telling us ethnomusicology stories…. Bet they only pay Ms. T enough for a bag of chips and a pint of mild too. Underused to the max.Dire.

(Gave up at the synth track)

A programme dedicated to the music of Afghanistan may have some wider resonance ?

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post

A programme dedicated to the music of Afghanistan may have some wider resonance ?
                              Great call, Global. There's nothing in the World Music Archive as far as I can see, otherwise the MP people could have stuck a tape on, I suppose. So this'll involve a bit of effort.

Comment

Its going on on BBC TV, and other BBC Stations. This is all my supposition (but then, its not like the BBC ever disloses this sort of matter...... Anyone who knows from the inside is welcome to confirm or correct.....

Some programmes can't be straight repeated - "language would offend modern day audiences". Also, it can make the material sufficiently interesting (not to keen followers iike here) to the audience.

To some extent the reason is there is an interruption in the supply because makers haven't been able to get out and travel or have guests into the studio. (For me, there is already enough poor quality zoom interactions in programmes post March 2020). On the other hand, its a way of cutting costs and if some of the programmes in the series cost a lot more, these selections from the [ast programmes balance out with a lower cost.

Thinking about it, its been part of the way 4 extra has worked for years - 3 hour programmes on Saturday mornings (not that I listen - I just check the schedules....)... and others on Radio 4.
                                (TV has been re-running Parkinson interviews...)

Comment

Working...
                                X