Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    Enjoyed the tune from Ye Vagabonds - might try to catch them in Glasgow in a couple of weeks. Loved the classic artist of the week, Vinicius De Moraes, and that crackin' samba track with Odette Lara. Interesting sounds from Northern Ethiopia too. Kept me entertained and interested for an hour while I tried to avoid the Buddies' football score.
    Mrs GT listened it (quite a rare occurrence) and thoroughly enjoyed the Ethiopian bit - KT may have another convert. Not listened yet.

Comment

As with last week's trip to the South Pacific, it was great to hear from Siberia this week, courtesy of a new compilation called 'Folk And Great Tunes From Siberia and Far East', put together by folk singer Daryana Antipova, who was talking to KT from just out of Moscow. Sounds like a big place, Siberia...people could get lost in there. Some great tunes indeed. Also enjoyed KT's trip back home to celebrate the influence of the High Level Ranters on the music of North East England. There was also a great bit of Duduk playing too, plus a dodger from Scotland, of all things.

Comment

I like the guy who does the Road Trips from Colombia, Betto Arcos. He's got a right enthusiastic voice and he usually plays some unusual tunes during the ten minute slot. Thus it was in KT's MP this weekend - Betto was at the Festival de Cuerdas Pulsadas and sounded like he was, as usual, having a good time of it. Also KT played some Mississippi blues and decided that Memphis Minnie should be classic artist of the week...a couple of crackin' tracks.
        Kathryn Tickell with new releases from around the world, plus a Road Trip to Colombia.

Comment

Having returned from the travels, it was great to sit down to an hour of KT on the 'Music Planet' duties this afternoon - some belting Norwegian hardangar to get us started; excellent Cojunto courtesy of classic artist of the week Gilberto Pérez y sus Compadres; some excellent Romanian tunes from very different styles; and all topped off with wonderful bluegrass from Hazel Dickens and Alice Gerrard.
          But what caught me most was studio guest, the Korean pensori artist, Jaram Lee. Listening to the first piece she played alongside her percussionist I almost turned the programme off - fortunately I stuck with it and it paid off because the second piece from her opera based on Hemingway's 'Old Man and the Sea' was mesmerising - certainly one of the stranger pieces of music I've heard this year.

Comment

Fandango overload yesterday on KT’s WM.
            WARNING: Please don’t play that drinking game and take a shot of mescal every time the Road Trip presenter says ‘fandango’, you’ll pass out before he’s half way though.

Ps other tracks were played, including Horace Andy Skylarking and Joseph Spence.

Comment

Global, I'm trying for the Ultimate Off Topic Award here, but with mitigating circumstances pleaded. Over on Bach on Friday (today) there is a cello item. It involves 6 young cellists, under 18, which a younger girl might gain from in some way if her grandfather approved.

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                Global, I'm trying for the Ultimate Off Topic Award here, but with mitigating circumstances pleaded. Over on Bach on Friday (today) there is a cello item. It involves 6 young cellists, under 18, which a younger girl might gain from in some way if her grandfather approved.
                Thanks for spotting this Padraig, the host of this thread is pretty tolerant so he'll be fine with this I am sure - her younger sister (12) also plays so I will mention to both of them when next I see them.
                Staying firmly off topic, the older one is more bemused by one of her A-level works, Death of A Salesman.
                We watched an old version with her starring Lee J Cobb and a scene stealing Gene Wilder ...
                sitting and watching with her worked v well with Othello - we found an RSC version that was pretty poor but oddly illuminating

Comment

Great session guest today from Japan, though at times sounding almost Scandinavian - Oki and his band with him playing the five-string harp called the Tonkori -mind you he had a wide array of music and I thought he was a great guest. Apparently he's on Late Junction this coming week and I may well stay up late and have a listen in.
                  Actually there was a crackin' Scandi track early on by Tuultenpesä (Is Finland Scandi?) - anyway I loved that too - really entertaining programme.

Comment

Kathryn's been in Oman for the Aga Khan Music Awards aimed at exceptional creativity in societies across the world in which Muslims have a significant presence. She returned with recordings of musicians from Tanzania, Java, India, Iran among others. KT clearly enjoyed herself among the ouds, tablas and gamelans and I found the programme extremely unusual and very enjoyable indeed.
                    Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Comment

Here's one for the diary...New Year's Eve

At home with the Carthys
                      Music Planet

The first family of English folk: Kathryn Tickell visits Martin and Eliza Carthy at home in Robin Hood's Bay in Yorkshire. There will be live music-making, some classic tracks from the Waterson-Carthy family heritage, and a look back on the life of Norma Waterson, who died earlier this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                        Here's one for the diary...New Year's Eve

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001ghhk
                        I turned up and very glad I did, Global. Most entertaining and moving edition of the show to end the year. Eliza sounding very like her Mum these days in places, I thought.

Comment

I turned up and very glad I did, Global. Most entertaining and moving edition of the show to end the year. Eliza sounding very like her Mum these days in places, I thought.
                          Definitely was worth a listen. One or two new stories....

Here's the track Rubber Band by Blue Murder, originally on Bright Phoebus - Blue Murder were a band of the usual suspects plus 1 or 2, recorded in 2013. By then Mike's voice was a bit wobbly but just lovely to hear them singing in their plain way with Martin on guitar.
                          Provided to YouTube by IIP-DDSRubber Band · Blue MurderNo One Stands Alone℗ TopicReleased on: 2016-12-29Music Publisher: Copyright ControlComposer, Lyricist...

Comment

I enjoyed Music Planet yesterday. There was a recording of half a dozen songs from Trio Di Kali's set at Celtic Connections last week - the one I missed because I got the date wrong. It would appear that only two of the group made it to Glasgow due to visa issues, and the remaining twosome was joined by a range of musicians from West Africa, USA and Scotland. I enjoyed the music though I was left thinking that I might have been disappointed not to have seen the group itself. The recording had just too little of Kassé Mady Diabaté for my liking.

Comment

Listings suggested that Music Planet was Lopa Kothari playing some highlights from Womex this past October. I have to say it didn't fill me with high expectations - over the years programmes from Womex have not always been very exciting. Anyway, ended up that Lopa was doing her Kathryn Tickell impersonation this week, and it being Lisbon there was some fine fado in there. Highlight for me was Flamenco performer Israel Fernandez whose piece drew me in as it went on. Also a very moving piece by Pakistani poet, Amir Hayat, in praise of a Japanese mountaineer who had been very kind to Amir's village before his death last year. Programme much more enjoyable than I Womexpected - no bad thing in my book.
                              Lopa Kothari presents recordings made in October 2022 at the WOMEX event in Lisbon.

Comment

Listings suggested that Music Planet was Lopa Kothari playing some highlights from Womex this past October. I have to say it didn't fill me with high expectations - over the years programmes from Womex have not always been very exciting. Anyway, ended up that Lopa was doing her Kathryn Tickell impersonation this week, and it being Lisbon there was some fine fado in there. Highlight for me was Flamenco performer Israel Fernandez whose piece drew me in as it went on. Also a very moving piece by Pakistani poet, Amir Hayat, in praise of a Japanese mountaineer who had been very kind to Amir's village before his death last year. Programme much more enjoyable than I Womexpected - no bad thing in my book.
                                https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001jcjv
                                Cheers JC - I too had taken a look at the listing and decided to give it a swerve. Will always give a listen to the blessed KT

Comment

Working...
                                X