Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very entertaining 'Music Planet' this afternoon as Kathryn Tickell went back to Glasgow's winter festival for the annual 'Transatlantic Sessions' from Glasgow Concert Hall. Highlight for me was Martha Wainwright singing 'Going Back to Harlan', a favourite of the McGarrigle Sisters; but there was plenty great music to enjoy.
    Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Comment

Great show today from KT today - great to hear the Four Brothers after ages -and there's a new record out from Catryn Finch, this time with Irish fiddle player Aoife Ni Bhriain - the track was beautiful. I loved the forthcoming South African gospel piece by Diepkloof United Voice, but my highlight was a Japanese track - I must go and find out more of Umeko Ando. Oh yes, and there was a great track from a new record by Cormac Begley - yes, I really enjoyed this show.
      Kathryn Tickell talks to Vik Sohonie, founder of Ostinato Records.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
        Great show today from KT today - great to hear the Four Brothers after ages -and there's a new record out from Catryn Finch, this time with Irish fiddle player Aoife Ni Bhriain - the track was beautiful. I loved the forthcoming South African gospel piece by Diepkloof United Voice, but my highlight was a Japanese track - I must go and find out more of Umeko Ando. Oh yes, and there was a great track from a new record by Cormac Begley - yes, I really enjoyed this show.
        Kathryn Tickell talks to Vik Sohonie, founder of Ostinato Records.

Well I logged on to pretty much post exactly the same. The Catryn Finch track was excellent and sent me listening to her music for the rest of the afternoon. It was brilliant listening to Vik Sohonie, founder of Ostinato Records, talk with genuine passion and enthusiasm.
        Along the way I've learnt that if you look at the show tracklist on BBC Sounds, then click on the 3 parallel dots next to the track name you can open the specific in Spotify or Apple music; if the track is on there.
        Cormac Begley is on BandCamp.
        More power to his elbow.
        And to Kathryn T.

Comment

Lisa O'Neill is in session with Kathryn on this afternoon's Music Planet.

Comment

KT's got a bunch of Cubans for company this afternoon all the way from Germany...highly enjoyable so far, including Ana Carla Maza with her cello and Eliades Ochoa

​Such excellent entertainment for this drab, rain-soaked Angus afternoon.

Comment

Eliades Ochoa

Eliades is the live guest on Cerys this morning on radio 6 ahead of his London show this evening.

Comment

Eliades is the live guest on Cerys this morning on radio 6 ahead of his London show this evening.
                Absolutely excellent session. Well worth checking out. He's on for half-an-hour after the first hour of the show.
                Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Comment

Thx JC. Caught them on KT, now off to listen to them on catch up on Cerys.

Comment

What an extraordinarily good Music Planet mainly thanks to the voice and songs of Peni Candra Rini on gamelan.
                    Just off to find out more about her on her eponymous website.

Comment

Agreed, GT, though I also loved a piece from Britanny which I found joyous. Need to check back what it was as I was making the tea at the time.

Comment

All I have to say about this week's MP is try not to miss it. A most entertaining hour's listening.

Comment

Kathryn had a most enjoyable visit to see Maddy Prior in her house in Cumbria for this week's show - plenty from Maddy's back catalogue to enjoy.

Comment

Kathryn had a most enjoyable visit to see Maddy Prior in her house in Cumbria for this week's show - plenty from Maddy's back catalogue to enjoy.
                            https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001t9vb
                            Afraid I didn't like it and found this weeks shortened version not that much better. Probably me, but I'm not that into pure folk and I do feel a little cheated that we haven't had much 'world' music over the past two weeks. Just me being a Chrimbo Humbug I expect :-)

Comment

KT was in Glasgow for Celtic Connections yesterday afternoon. Highlight for me was the Breton group Barzaz. I hadn't heard of them before but will go look out a bit more...not sure they would appreciate being on French Wednesday - they sounded quite snippy, I thought, when KT talked about France. But they were terrific. I think she's back in Glescae for next week's show too.

Comment

Whereas, for once, I disagree. They were the specific reason I bailed out before the full time whistle; also noted the snippiness - but that wasn't why I had enough.
                                Found them repetitive and a bit precious.
                                Should have moved from a safe 4-3-3 to a more attacking formation and played the wings more upfront. They had all the ball possession but didn't do enough with it. (shome mishtake shurely?)

Comment

Working...
                                X