Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lopa's Music Planet

Enjoyed the Colombian Road Trip last night, especially Systema Solar's 'Yo Voy Ganao'.
    Systema Solar - Yo Voy Ganao (Video Oficial)___________________________________________☀️“Huy! Yo salgo es a buscá mi Mojarra frita, Camarón, Chipi Chipi y m...

...then she introduced the great Jon Boden...not sure I managed half a tune. That's my review (Missed Eliza and Angelique)...may try later! I notice LK played King Sunny Ade so perhaps DJ Rita was on talking about Nigeria...maybe!

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    Enjoyed the Colombian Road Trip last night, especially Systema Solar's 'Yo Voy Ganao'.
    Systema Solar - Yo Voy Ganao (Video Oficial)___________________________________________☀️“Huy! Yo salgo es a buscá mi Mojarra frita, Camarón, Chipi Chipi y m...

...then she introduced the great Jon Boden...not sure I managed half a tune. That's my review (Missed Eliza and Angelique)...may try later! I notice LK played King Sunny Ade so perhaps DJ Rita was on talking about Nigeria...maybe!
    Can I also thoroughly recommend Simon Reeve in Colombia and Venezuela.

Absolutely fascinating.

We are not at all the same - perhaps let's ditch the "all" - or in complete kilter but I really identify with almost everything he does and to some extent is and I regard him as a mate.

I'd feel quite happy to pitch my tent alongside his although I have in my mind Totland, Isle of Wight.

BBC2 : Caribbean with Simon Reeve - Episode 2:

"They say that you've bought shitting land"...er…….."This was say, shall we say this was a toilet area, (sir)".

Love it, perhaps the rest of tv can take the lead!

Especially as the values of the sweary man deserve the word "sir".
    Last edited by Lat-Literal; 02-06-18, 21:00.

Comment

Enjoyed the recording by Radio Austria of Blick Basse and his band on World Planet last night. A fine performer with a fairly unique voice and inspired by Skip James, so great to hear Skip's 'Washington D.C. Hospital Center Blues' too. I really enjoyed the enthusiasm Reem Kelani showed in her road trip through the music of pre-1948 Palestine in this the 70th anniversary of the Palestinian Exodus. Didn't get to Analog Africa's Samy Ben Redjeb's mixtape last night but I won't be missing out on that. I find I'm generally enjoying this new format for the show.

Comment

Don't know if Lopa is back in fashion on this bored, but I felt there were some very bright spots in Friday's session.

The Road Trip from Kingston Jamaica. Alex Roberts presented an unarguable case.

The main guest Fatoumata Diawara is a gifted singer and I particularly enjoyed her discussion of her music - a meditation - motive force is expressing truth in her music rather than giving pleasure (which will create problems)....

Heart felt rendition of Sinner Man - never heard Nina Simone described as a Classical Musician before!

Could have done without the Mix Tape by Bombay bicycle club.

My main issue with Lopa's Music Planet is that she races all over the globe from Track to track - difficult to keep up - and what's the point?

Comment

Originally posted by Vespare View Post
          Heart felt rendition of Sinner Man - never heard Nina Simone described as a Classical Musician before!
          She wanted to be and set out to be

Wiki:
          "Simone was born Eunice Kathleen Waymon in North Carolina and raised in Tryon, North Carolina. The sixth of eight children in a poor family, she began playing piano at the age of three; ...But her concert debut, a classical recital, was given when she was 12. ... Simone's music teacher helped establish a special fund to pay for her education.[15] ...After her graduation, Simone spent the summer of 1950 at the Juilliard School, as a student of Carl Friedberg,[16]preparing for an audition at the Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia. Her application, however, was denied. "
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Originally posted by Vespare View Post
            Don't know if Lopa is back in fashion on this bored, but I felt there were some very bright spots in Friday's session.

The Road Trip from Kingston Jamaica. Alex Roberts presented an unarguable case.

The main guest Fatoumata Diawara is a gifted singer and I particularly enjoyed her discussion of her music - a meditation - motive force is expressing truth in her music rather than giving pleasure (which will create problems)....

Could have done without the Mix Tape by Bombay bicycle club.

My main issue with Lopa's Music Planet is that she races all over the globe from Track to track - difficult to keep up - and what's the point?
            Thanks for your interesting comments. I don't have especial problems with Lopa and never have done although I don't wholly disagree with some comments made by other people here. Because of other matters - sport etc - I have not yet fully formed a view on the new format although I have listened to a couple of editions from beginning to end. What I would say - and I will visit this edition on the I-Player now that you have made reference to it - is that I did, actually, tune in at one point on the night and that point was when it was being said that next up was the mixtape. Up till now, the mixtape concept hasn't grabbed me so I switched off. Had I joined it at a different point, I would have probably stayed with the programme.

Comment

I came in late to last night's show. The Road Trip explored British Asian music around the UK with broadcaster Ashanti Omkar - it may have been the time of night but I felt I was being shouted at...still it was good to hear Apache Indian again.

Then after a couple of tunes came ....'Now, a question I have to ask you...how have you managed to record so many albums?' which was about the level that Lopa's interview with Attaullah Khan Esakhelvi achieved. Afraid I didn't wait around to hear the answer.

Comment

Mariza was on last night and what a wonderful voice she has. Only thing I found out was that she was originally from Mozambique - usual standard of interviewing and presenting from Lopa!

Comment

Korean Kyungso Park was excellent last night on Wo3 - she didn't even have to put up with being interviewed by Lopa. Some great tunes in the show too including something from the forthcoming Bassekou Kouyate record - terrific song. I look forward to hearing more of that one.

However, if you only listen to one thing may I recommend the excellent Road Trip looking at Mexican Narcocorrido with Betto Arcos...now on BBC Sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                    Korean Kyungso Park was excellent last night on Wo3 - she didn't even have to put up with being interviewed by Lopa.
                    Good call JC. Both the arist who I would happily listen to all day and probably will, and the format for letting her talk - what an innovative concept!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gULuANY4nLU

Comment

Enjoyed hearing Moonlight Benjamin from Womex on Lopa's show last night, though stuff from Womex often sounds a bit flat to me, like there's nobody there. Lopa was also getting a lesson in music broadcasting from a certain Knight of the realm.

Comment

Amazingly LK chose to play Life on Mars by Seu Jorge too. (after the repeat of Mr Sawneys show)

I suspect deep-state conspiracy JC. check these Martian traffic lights out (from rt.com so must be true)

It's a sign I tell you, a sign

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                          Amazingly LK chose to play Life on Mars by Seu Jorge too. (after the repeat of Mr Sawneys show)

I suspect deep-state conspiracy JC. check these Martian traffic lights out (from rt.com so must be true)

It's a sign I tell you, a sign

I noticed, GT! I also noticed that LK got away half an hour early on Friday so we could enjoy a world mixtape. Not sure what I think about all that - this week the theme was the sax and it's always great to get a wee bit Getachew Mekurya on the wireless, and I really enjoyed hearing 'Wiyathul' again after so long, and less Lopa is normally more in my book to be honest, but it just felt like another lazy feature...so we've got Road Trip, Classic Artist, and there was a wee tribute to Oliver, and now half-hour mixtape. Not a lot of room for new stuff. Must look at the previous World mixtapes...on BBC SOUNDS!!!!
                          Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Maybe we should send them a mixtape suggestion.

Comment

Maybe a retro of great songs, of the lesser known variety, that we've been introduced to over the years by
                            messrs Kershaw, MAK, Charlie G et al. Whatever happened to Al?
                            This would be my first - played by Andy K. must be about 12 years ago:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDGfEWzn-Ts

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                              Maybe a retro of great songs, of the lesser known variety, that we've been introduced to over the years by
                              messrs Kershaw, MAK, Charlie G et al. Whatever happened to Al?
                              This would be my first - played by Andy K. must be about 12 years ago:
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDGfEWzn-Ts
                              Tip top, GT. What about 'I'm considering a move to Memphis' - probably doesn't fit in the WM file mind you - I recall Andy playing this a couple of weeks in a row.
                              By Colorblind James ExperienceI do not own the rights to this music.

Comment

Working...
                              X