Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
    Wow - looks like the move to Sat afts is really working for LK.
    Another good episode - esp the road trip to Argentina.
    Much excellent accordion work, and a knowledgable easy going host too.

Lovely Cuban track to finish with.

A rare bouquet for r3....
    Thanks for this. Talk of Dr L and Argentina has whetted my appetite. In the old days of linear broadcasting (or a cassette, I guess) I used to enjoy listening to World Routes before the "jazz zone" on Saturday afternoons. On the strength of these recommendations I have just added Music Planet to my Sounds "subscribed" list.

OG

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
      Thanks for this. Talk of Dr L and Argentina has whetted my appetite. In the old days of linear broadcasting (or a cassette, I guess) I used to enjoy listening to World Routes before the "jazz zone" on Saturday afternoons. On the strength of these recommendations I have just added Music Planet to my Sounds "subscribed" list.

OG
      be interested to know what you think OG.

Comment

Just listened to this. I quite enjoyed it, especially the Argentinian road trip feature and the final track. I am not primarily a "world" music listener, but some of my "jazz" likes verge on world at times. I will keep Music Planet on my subscribed list on BBC Sounds.

OG

Comment

Music Planet fits better on a Saturday afternoon than Late Junction does on a Friday night, to my ears anyway. Great to hear Kershaw getting a run-out this afternoon, with Rachid Taha from his road trip to Algeria in 2006, ahead of a track from Rachid's posthumous CD released earlier this year. Here's a link to the archives for the Algeria programme.

Too bad they had to repeat - so soon it seems - the road trip to Greenland. It would appear that we can expect more Greenland sounds on R3 before the end of the year.

Comment

Sounds of the summer with WOMAD highlights on Music Planet yesterday and especially featuring the wonderful voice of Salif Keita, still sounding great, but apparently heading into retirement.

Comment

Enjoyed the Norwegian Road trip on Lopa today, all hardanger fiddle and the like - it was another repeat, of course. But great to be reminded of the wonderful Mari Boine, and especially 'Elle'.
              Lyrics by Rawdna Carita Eira, music by Mari Boine. Live on NRK, Norway, March 2011. The song was written for the Norwegian movie "Kautokeino-opprøret" / "The...

Comment

This Tuesday, 7th April, is the 100th anniversary of the birth of Ravi Shankar, born in Varanasi in 1920. To celebrate Music Planet had a tribute to this giant of Indian Classical music on Saturday's show. There is an extract from Radio 3's 'World Routes' from the late 90s, as well as a recording from the Third programme in 1956.

Comment

Great tribute to U Srinavas on yesterdays programme.

Here's a favourite track of mine from the '95 album with Michael Brook
                  Dream
                  NOTICE: I DO NOT OWN ANY COPYRIGHTS OF THIS SONG.From the magnificent album "Dream". East meets west. 1995. Enjoy! :)

Also good to hear Djivan Gasparyan [Õ‹Õ«Õ¾Õ¡Õ¶ Ô³Õ¡Õ½ÕºÕ¡Ö€ÕµÕ¡Õ¶] get an airing. Incidentally he also played with Michael Brook..
                  Take My Heart
                  Provided to YouTube by RealWorldRecordsTake My Heart · Djivan Gasparyan & Michael BrookBlack Rock℗ 1998 Real World Records LtdReleased on: 2018-09-12Auto-gen...

Comment

Really enjoyed the Kenyan Road Trip on yesterday's 'Music Planet', and in particular the track by Muthoni Drummer Queen, 'Kenyan Message', a rather excellent reworking of the Grandmaster Flash original. I thought it was great.

Muthoni Drummer Queen teams up with Swiss producers GR! & HOOK to create a banging, socio-politically charged hip-hop anthem for Kenya titled "Kenyan Message...

Comment

Comment

It would have been Womad this weekend and Lopa gave us a run through some highlights from days gone by. Amazing performance of 'Nijaay' by the mighty Orchestra Baobab was the highlight for me, but there were lots of cracking tracks from past years and from people who should have been there this year, had it not been for you-know-what!

...and you can go visit the 'Womad at Home' webpages and listen to DJ sets and old favourites, including selections from Lopa.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                          It would have been Womad this weekend and Lopa gave us a run through some highlights from days gone by. Amazing performance of 'Nijaay' by the mighty Orchestra Baobab was the highlight for me, but there were lots of cracking tracks from past years and from people who should have been there this year, had it not been for you-know-what!

...and you can go visit the 'Womad at Home' webpages and listen to DJ sets and old favourites, including selections from Lopa.
                          https://womad.co.uk/music-at-home/
                          Thanks JC. Having a friend round tomorrow in lieu of our usual Wickham festival meet up, so we need a playlist. That might do nicely.
                          Looks like festival weather too.....
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Fair enjoyed Saturday's Music Planet and, in particular, the home session by young Leeds-based (I think) Indian classical sitar player, Jasdeep Singh Degun playing with Harkiret Bahra. Particularly enjoyed 'Raag Bageshri'. ...and Woody Guthrie was classic artist of the week!
                            The best roots-based music from across the world with Lopa Kothari.

Comment

Enjoyed the live guest, Kurdish singer Olcar Bayir, on Saturday's show...and always great to hear a bit of the Bhundus. And still enjoying that Mulatu Astatke music with Black Jesus Experience...got a great groove going.
                              For More: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBvNEC9baXL597rEn0ZP9VwAlbum: To Know Without Knowing (2020)Label: Agogo Records (Hanover, Germany)http://www.agog...

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                                Enjoyed the live guest, Kurdish singer Olcar Bayir, on Saturday's show...and always great to hear a bit of the Bhundus. And still enjoying that Mulatu Astatke music with Black Jesus Experience...got a great groove going.
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QamPXnB7m2o
                                Lopa also played this great bit of gospel, 'True Friendship', from 1927 by the Rev. J.C. Burnett (no relation!)...been playing it all week...the voices are so wonderful!
                                I do not own the copyright to this recording. This video is for historical and educational purposes only. Rev. J.C. Burnett:Vocals & Sermon Sisters Ethel Gra...

Comment

Working...
                                X