Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got round to listening to Saturday's Music Planet. Thoroughly recommend listening to Lopa's guests this week with beautiful Carnatic music from Sushma Soma and Aditya Prakash - really interesting interview too...did I really say that? The mighty Dick Gaughan is this week's classic artist ahead of the forthcoming Celtic Connections which starts next week.

Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Comment

Some great tunes on the programme today, but highlight for me by far was a great road trip round Bengal by Dipannita Acharya exploring, in particular, Baul music...a really enjoyable eye-opener.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
        Some great tunes on the programme today, but highlight for me by far was a great road trip round Bengal by Dipannita Acharya exploring, in particular, Baul music...a really enjoyable eye-opener.
        https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001jlc5
        Yes, I agree.

The Bob Dylan cover was unexpected.

I hope the people on the Indian music thread here listen to this episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
          Yes, I agree.

The Bob Dylan cover was unexpected.

I hope the people on the Indian music thread here listen to this episode.
          Here's that 'Mr Tambourine Man' Bengali cover you mentioned by Purna Das Baul, Global.
          From Another World: A Tribute to Bob DylanPurna & Bapi Das Baul/Bengal, India

Comment

Here's that 'Mr Tambourine Man' Bengali cover you mentioned by Purna Das Baul, Global.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiYn9DzWCNU
            Thanks for digging this out JC - turns out there is some of his music on Spotify too

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
              Thanks for digging this out JC - turns out there is some of his music on Spotify too
              I didn't hear all of yesterday's 'Music Planet', partly because I turned it on late and, at one point in the car, Mrs C said: 'Can you turn that down as it's boring a hole in my skull?' However she did agree with me that the Togo All Stars were top guests. Worth the price of admission.

Comment

Seems like Bela Fleck and Lopa Kothari are indulging in a spot of musical ping-pong this Saturday, within which they're apparently having Joni as classic artist of the week. Tempted to guess 'The Jungle Line'.

Comment

Seems like Bela Fleck and Lopa Kothari are indulging in a spot of musical ping-pong this Saturday, within which they're apparently having Joni as classic artist of the week. Tempted to guess 'The Jungle Line'.
                  That was a most entertaining hour of radio, I thought - some grand records in there and Bela was a very pleasant guest. Had heard the hi-life jazz version of 'Love Supreme' before - worth the price of admission alone, but there was plenty keeping me entertained in there.

Comment

Great to hear that irrepressible force of nature, Benin's mighty Angelique Kidjo, on Lopa's show yesterday. The show was dedicated to her - lots of great tunes from the last forty years. I just read that her full name is Angélique Kpasseloko Hinto Hounsinou Kandjo Manta Zogbin Kidjo. Lopa played songs from throughout her career up to the present day.

Comment

Great to hear that irrepressible force of nature, Benin's mighty Angelique Kidjo, on Lopa's show yesterday. The show was dedicated to her - lots of great tunes from the last forty years. I just read that her full name is Angélique Kpasseloko Hinto Hounsinou Kandjo Manta Zogbin Kidjo. Lopa played songs from throughout her career up to the present day.
                      https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001lkgg
                      Usually I swerve LK shows nowdays but thanks to your mention I gave it a listen an thoroughly enjoyed listening. For once LK sounded relaxed and enthusiastic - I think Angélique Kpasseloko Hinto Hounsinou Kandjo Manta Zogbin Kidjo played a part in that. As you, irrepressible.

Comment

I notice that there's a double dunt of Lopa this weekend on Music Planet as it's WOMAD. There's an hour and a half from Charlton Park this afternoon and then a further programme tomorrow evening.

Comment

I notice that there's a double dunt of Lopa this weekend on Music Planet as it's WOMAD. There's an hour and a half from Charlton Park this afternoon and then a further programme tomorrow evening.
                          I'm catching up with Sunday evening's WOMAD Planet and very enjoyable it is - Lopa struggling as usual with the interviews, but some great stuff from the likes of Femi Kuti; a brilliant collab between Colombia's Cimarron with Wales' Catrin Finch; a bit of the irrepressible Ian Brennan introducing music by Sarmaccan Sound from Surinam; and a fine collaboration from Mauro Durante & Justin Adams. Some fine sounds and I haven't even got to the end yet.
                          https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001p1zn

Comment

For one week only, two 'specially curated' mixes of music from the archives was what arrived yesterday. However, there were some fine tunes in there including Sardinia's magnificent Tenores di Bitti performing 'Lamentu' - glorious.

Comment

For one week only, two 'specially curated' mixes of music from the archives was what arrived yesterday. However, there were some fine tunes in there including Sardinia's magnificent Tenores di Bitti performing 'Lamentu' - glorious.
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEFmf38k-MU
                              That was a standout track for sure. I wondered why I was enjoying the show so much - no talking between tracks…..

Comment

Recordings from Radio France from both Fatoumata Diawara and from Tinariwen, and grand they are too. But my highlight so far has been 'Classic Artist of the Week', Algerian Chaabi artist, Amar Ezzahi - never heard of him before, but what a voice!

Comment

Working...
                                X