X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.....It's them - they are brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
      It goes into John's tomato cake soup - officially Mongolian Cream of Tomato Cake. You can use tinned milk if you don't have any mare's milk to hand at home.

Lucy seems well relaxed in Mongolia. She sounds like she is in love with the country. Now, here's the stuff - I don't think any country comes anywhere near to Mongolia for throat singing.
      Tuva ?
      having met Huun Huur Tu last year I would say they are some of the greatest musicians I have encountered

Comment

Yeah but have they really heard of Robin Hood in Outer Mongolia?

Cultural assumption I was surprised to hear Head Girl make.

Comment

Mr GongGong - Great to hear from you. I don't know all the names. I don't even know if Prime Minister Sükhbaataryn Batbold sings the National Anthem, Mongol ulsyn töriin duulal, as part of an overtone group. All I know is that it was written by Bilegiin Damdinsüren, Luvsanjambyn Mördorj and Tsendiin Damdinsüren.

Comment

....Global, I think she had forests on her mind like most of us - Lat.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
              ....Global, I think she had forests on her mind like most of us - Lat.
              V. Gentlemanly of you to defend her.
              Angkor Wat - I remember reading a certain Beat Poets trials and tribs in finding that place, now it sounds like it's just a ride away. As Biff says 'music planet is Down Your Way for nos jours'

And why not?

Comment

Yes, I remember Down Your Way. Biff's right. Some of this Cambodian stuff is grim. I find though, in some of the things we have heard in the series, values that we as a society have somehow lost.

Comment

.....I don't like these regimes that clamp down on music. Makes me shiver. This one is very 2011 but the original 60s piece - I can see where Dengue Fever are coming from.

Comment

I like it when Andy's having a good laugh which was through most of this - the King of Victoria Falls who was well able for AK - the old Zambian who sang the song about not going to a funeral empty handed had Andy going - and the willy festival had him going. But hearing the bleeped expletive as he witnessed the take off of a rocket heading up an estimated 8km was worth the whole thing. The music took a back seat with him this week. Don't want to detract in any way from the Amazonian section, but Andy really was on fine form.

And as a wee addition, if you want to see something pretty spectacular catch the Living Bridge in the mountains of India about 40 odd minutes into this week's Human Planet on Rivers among other great pieces. Stunning.

Comment

Oh and if you do catch Human Planet, try to see the great mud mosque in Jenet (I think) in Mali - in the middle of the whole rebuild with mud everywhere, a young guy wearing a Barca top with Messi on the back.

Comment

....and AK asking at the rocket festival if they have 'Health and Safety' in Laos - priceless. Dear Points of View, please please please can we have more Andy?

Comment

Hi John - I'm really sorry. I missed it. It sounds great though so looking forward to hearing it on the I-player - Lat

Comment

.....I finally caught up with this edition today. I thought it was pretty good. Amusing as you say and the rocket festival in Thailand sounded extraordinary. The music at and near that event was quite hypnotic. It could almost become the new "desert blues" in that sense.

I actually liked most of the snippets of music we heard, not so much in Zambia where the one note people were interesting but difficult to listen to, but certainly in Brazil. "Swamp Love" was very good - really thought that 70 year old singer had something, particularly with the sparse arrangement. The singers in the Amazon were pleasant too.

Comment

Last one tonight - it's flown past - seems no time since all you could hear wall-to-wall was Mozzie on the wireless and Andy and Lucy arrived to rescue us. It's cities - Kinshasa, Pretoria and Bamako - looks great.
                              Andy Kershaw and Lucy Duran explore music of three African cities.

Comment

A big shame that this is the last one. Far, far, too much of the first band in Kinshasa though. Not keen on it to be honest. Wassalou in Bamako interesting but not my favourite music from Mali. The prison choir in the Pretoria was the best bit. I'm definitely more of a rural than a urban person though, musically and in most other respects. Good to hear that Andy will be back soon on World Routes.
                                Last edited by Guest; 03-03-11, 23:01.

Comment

Working...
                                X