• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martucci
    Symphony 1 in D minor, Malaysian PO, Bakels

Comment

Britten:
      Piano Concerto in D Major, Op.13 (1938, rev. 1945)
      Original version of the third movement from Piano Concerto in D Major, Op. 13 (1938)
      Violin Concerto, Op. 15 (1939, rev. 1958)
      Tasmin Little (violin)
      Howard Shelley (piano)
      BBC Philharmonic Orchestra/Edward Gardner
      Recorded 2012 MediaCity UK, Salford
      Chandos

Mendelssohn:
      Piano Concerto No.1 in G minor, Op.25 (1831)
      Variations sérieuses Op. 54 (1841)
      10 Songs Without Words,
      Martin Stadtfeld (piano)
      Academy of St. Martin in the Fields/Sir Neville Marriner
      Recorded live 2012 Rheingau Musik Festival, Friedrich-von-Thiersch-Saal, Kurhaus Wiesbaden, Germany (Concerto) & 2012 SWR Studio, Kaiserslautern, Germany (solo piano)
      Sony Classical

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        Magnard Symphony No.1(1890); No.2(1896). (rec. 1980s/Toulouse Capitole/Plasson/EMI Angel CD)
        ...marvellous music!... and I never knew a note of it before last week, and the best is yet to come...[B]
        Ah yes, Magnard. I discovered him a few years ago and was delighted to have done so. Another instance of unjustified neglect.

Petrassi Piano Concerto (1936-9); (rec. 2008/Alberti/OSN RAI/Tamayo/Stradivarius CD)
        ...the 2nd movement here, "arietta con variazioni" is just exquisite; one of the most delicately beautiful and original of all 20thC concerti movements. This disc also has the best extant recording of the Partita per orchestra.
        I'm listening to this recording as I type this — and all thanks to your advocacy in recent posts. I totally agree about the piano concerto's second movement (and the end of the first movement is pretty wonderful stuff too). I had never heard of Petrassi before you mentioned him. I'm off to track down and investigate. Many thanks for the pointer.

Comment

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
          Ah yes, Magnard. I discovered him a few years ago and was delighted to have done so. Another instance of unjustified neglect.

I'm listening to this recording as I type this — and all thanks to your advocacy in recent posts. I totally agree about the piano concerto's second movement (and the end of the first movement is pretty wonderful stuff too). I had never heard of Petrassi before you mentioned him. I'm off to track down and investigate. Many thanks for the pointer.
          DJ, you might be interested in this thread started by GrahamH highlighting changes at Qobuz: http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...-Qobuz-changes
          It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Schumann: Arabeske, Op. 18. Evgeny Kissin.

Comment

The Verdi Album- Jonas Kaufmann
              Opera arias from Rigoletto, Aida, Un Ballo in Maschera, Il Trovatore, Luisa Miller, Simon Boccanegra, La Forza del Destino, I Masnadieri, Otello, Macbeth

Jonas Kaufmann (tenor)
              Orchestra dell'Opera di Parma, Coro del Teatro Municipale di Piacenza/Pier Giorgio Morandi
              Recorded 2013 Niccolò Paganini Auditorium, Parma
              Sony Classical

Stanford:
              Partsongs by Sir Charles Villiers Stanford

(Including the set of Eight Part-Songs opus 119 that features The Bluebird)
              Birmingham Conservatoire Chamber Choir/Paul Spicer
              Recorded 2012 Church of St. Alban the Martyr, Highgate, Birmingham
              Somm

Comment

Handel Overtures transcribed for keyboard (some by Handel himself) played on the 1755 Kirkman Harpsichord in the Russell Collection by John Kitchen (Delphian Records). The music is so good and the harpsichord so resonant that these transcriptions work beautifully. I have been in touch with John and he says they work beautifully on the organ too

Comment

Roberto Gerhard, Symphony #1.
                  Orquesta Sinfónica de Tenerife
                  Víctor Pablo Pérez

Compelling, as is all the (admittedly very little) of his music I have heard. Must try to figure out why it works so well .
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                    Roberto Gerhard, Symphony #1.
                    Orquesta Sinfónica de Tenerife
                    Víctor Pablo Pérez

Compelling, as is all the (admittedly very little) of his music I have heard. Must try to figure out why it works so well .
                    It's b....y well written, often with dodecaphony stiffeners in its collar but Spanish rhythms in its swaying hips. I recommnd the Dances from the ballet Don Quixote!

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                      It's b....y well written, often with dodecaphony stiffeners in its collar but Spanish rhythms in its swaying hips. I recommnd the Dances from the ballet Don Quixote!
                      Thanks Ed, I have to admit i have only dabbled so far , after recommendations from wise heads hereabouts.

I'll spin those dances soon, going to try to concentrate on him for a while !!
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Finally ordered Jonas Kaufmann's Schöne Müllerin which arrived this morning. Amazing voice to able to do both Parsifal and Schöne Müllerin so convincingly.

In the newsagent this morning I spotted a magazine called Uncut doing a Joni Mitchell 70th Birthday issue, which I of course had to buy (for £4.80 adding up to a neat £5 purchase with my 20p i paper). I'm now enjoying their cover disc of tracks from new albums by artists, none of whom I had previously heard of.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                          Finally ordered Jonas Kaufmann's Schöne Müllerin which arrived this morning. Amazing voice to able to do both Parsifal and Schöne Müllerin so convincingly.

In the newsagent this morning I spotted a magazine called Uncut doing a Joni Mitchell 70th Birthday issue, which I of course had to buy (for £4.80 adding up to a neat £5 purchase with my 20p i paper). I'm now enjoying their cover disc of tracks from new albums by artists, none of whom I had previously heard of.
                          Not this one, I'm sure, but with performers equally unknown to me on the free disc - the Parquet Courts - http://www.magazinesdirect.com/az-ma...FfHItAodDXoAcw

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parquet_Courts for info on the Parquet Courts.

Do you think this could replace Gramophone, IRR or BBC MM?

Comment

Romantische Arien - Christian Gerhaher
                            Schubert, Wagner, Schumann, Nicolai, von Weber

Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks/Daniel Harding
                            Recorded 2012 Herkulessaal, Munchen
                            Sony

Schubert:
                            The Final Year - ‘The Schubert Edition’ vol. 37

20 Lieder featuring: Auf dem Strom (On the River) for tenor, piano and horn, D.943;
                            Anthony Rolfe Johnson (tenor), John Mark Ainsley (tenor); Michael Schade (tenor), Graham Johnson (piano) and David Pyatt (horn)
                            Recorded 1998/99 Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel, London
                            Hyperion

Ben Webster:
                            ‘King of the Tenors’
                            Verve (1953)
                            ‘Coleman Hawkins Encounters Ben Webster’
                            Verve (1957)

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                              I noticed this on my trip to Sainsbury's today - http://www.mojo4music.com/magazine/

I restrained myself, but the December issue of MOJO apparently has 20 hit tracks from the last decade or so on a CD. Again, I had not heard of any of the performers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                                Not this one, I'm sure, but with performers equally unknown to me on the free disc - the Parquet Courts - http://www.magazinesdirect.com/az-ma...FfHItAodDXoAcw

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parquet_Courts for info on the Parquet Courts.

Do you think this could replace Gramophone, IRR or BBC MM?
                                This one. I gave up Gramophone a few years ago having bought every issue since 1972. Uncut was more fun than the average issue of Gramophone but I won't be subscribing.

Comment

Working...
                                X