Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon thought I should try Barenboim's new Bruckner 7 with the Berlin Staatskapelle, so I'm giving it a go. It's on it's way. You can't have too many Bruckner 7s. And staying with Barenboim, I heard some Brahms Lieder with Jessye Norman on Essential Classics () this morning and thought it sounded marvellous - so I ordered that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      And staying with Barenboim, I heard some Brahms Lieder with Jessye Norman on Essential Classics () this morning and thought it sounded marvellous - so I ordered that too.
      Time is flying. IIRC these Brahms Lieder stem from the 1983 DGG Brahms Edition. An 11 LP-set I still cherish, not only for its magnificent documentation.

Comment

Amazon thought I should try Barenboim's new Bruckner 7 with the Berlin Staatskapelle, so I'm giving it a go. It's on it's way. You can't have too many Bruckner 7s.
        I'll be very interested to know what you think of Barenboim's new recording. I found his Berlin Philharmonic version to be so slow in the slow movement that I thought that the music more than lost its way somewhat. I note that he is over 3 minutes faster this time so maybe he has re-thought his approach. I admire Barenboim greatly as a musician - and more - so feel that I ought to like his Bruckner more than I do. This new recording might be, fingers crossed, what changes my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
          I'll be very interested to know what you think of Barenboim's new recording. I found his Berlin Philharmonic version to be so slow in the slow movement that I thought that the music more than lost its way somewhat. I note that he is over 3 minutes faster this time so maybe he has re-thought his approach. I admire Barenboim greatly as a musician - and more - so feel that I ought to like his Bruckner more than I do. This new recording might be, fingers crossed, what changes my mind.
          Thanks Dougie, I'll keep you posted!

Comment

Amazon thought I should try Barenboim's new Bruckner 7 with the Berlin Staatskapelle, so I'm giving it a go. It's on it's way. You can't have too many Bruckner 7s. And staying with Barenboim, I heard some Brahms Lieder with Jessye Norman on Essential Classics () this morning and thought it sounded marvellous - so I ordered that too.
            I bought the Norman/Barenboim twofer from DG only recently and couldn't understand why I had waited so long. Superb singing and playing + full texts.

I have also recently been enjoying a book that any Brahms Lieder fan might be interested in. Dietrich-Fischer Dieskau's has not been not slacking in his old age and has come up with "Johannes Brahms, Life and Songs", published in 2006 when he was 81. Great to have his insights into these songs in one place, but German only so far, it seems.

Comment

Roberto Gerhard: Concerto for Ochestra, Mathias Bamert, BBC SO, Chandos
              " ": Symphony 2

Downloads from eMusic - £1.26 total.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                Hmmm. Puzzling - on a first hearing - a fine live performance, that much is obvious. I don't know his Berlin Phil version. Some interesting detail, and bits of phrasing (especially in the brass) and orchestral detail and balance which I need to listen to again. The first movement coda somehow left me unmoved, thought the slow movement climax had the tingle factor. The slow movement coda - well I'm still getting over the BBC NOW's Wagner tuba players' performance in Cardiff back in November. This didn't come close.

Not my BAL choice....It was the last two movements which did not work so well for me - the scherzo just a little too slow, and the finale a full two minutes slower than Haitink/Concertgebouw (2005). It lacked the lightness of touch this movement needs, IMV. It probably worked well in the hall (the applause cuts in just a little too quickly - I'm quite happy not to have applause on live performances).

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  I bought the Norman/Barenboim twofer from DG only recently and couldn't understand why I had waited so long. Superb singing and playing + full texts.
                  (and Roehre) . I'm afraid I'm going to have to wait for the translation of the DF-D!

Comment

On the doormat when I got home, a spare copy of Stravinsky's The Soldier's Tale (Redgrave, Sting, McKellen, London Sinfonietta, Nagano), £1.84 including p&p.

Comment

Honegger: Le Roi David (the 1962 Baudo recording in its Accord CD transfer, to replace my old Concert Hall LPs).

Comment

Schubert / Roderick Williams - Der Wanderer. Excellent new recital on Delphian.

Comment

Waiting for amazon to deliver Andrew Davis's edition of Handel's Messiah
                          Don’t cry for me
                          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Purchased tonight at iklectik, John Cage: "Indeterminacy" (Stewart Lee, Steve Beresford, Tania Chen).

John Cage: "Music of Changes" (Tania Chen).

Comment

Jean Hanelle Cypriot Vespers Graindelavoix, dir Bjorn Schmelzer on Glossa GCD P32112. IMI this is the finest group currently performing medieval vocal music - their recent recording of Machault's Messe de Nostre Dame is the finest available.

Comment

Netherlands Radio PO / Van Zweden as a 24/196 download from the e-classical advent calender

Terrific performance and the sound is exquisite - the Wagner tubas at the end of the slow movement sound truly amazing!

Reminds me of time I went to the Concertgebouw (hall) and heard the same combo do Bruckner 4 plus some lovely Diepenbrock

Comment

Working...
                                X