Radio 3 schedule changes (‘edging away from speech')

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

There’s a weird symmetry to it all as not a few months ago (it seems like but probably over a year) he announced that he was moving to Afternoon Concert on Essential Classics.
    Perhaps they should use the theme from 'The Magic Roundabout' to introduce Essential Classics. 'Look, here comes Ian again!'

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Perhaps they should use the theme from 'The Magic Roundabout' to introduce Essential Classics. 'Look, here comes Ian again!'
      I think he has handled the whole (bizarre even by BBC standards) episode with considerable dignity.

Comment

There’s a weird symmetry to it all as not a few months ago (it seems like but probably over a year) he announced that he was moving to Afternoon Concert on Essential Classics.
        The symmetry being, surely, that now EC and AC are, perhaps, mirror images of each other; much the same programme. The presenters can be interchangeable.

Comment

Originally posted by hmvman View Post

The symmetry being, surely, that now EC and AC are, perhaps, mirror images of each other; much the same programme. The presenters can be interchangeable.
          Save that in the arcane game of presenter politics EC is of higher prestige partly because it has a higher aUdience and partly because it’s more built around the personality of the presenter. You have much more to do .

Comment

...partly because it’s more built around the personality of the presenter...
            Aye, there's the rub....

Comment

Save that in the arcane game of presenter politics EC is of higher prestige partly because it has a higher aUdience and partly because it’s more built around the personality of the presenter. .
              But EC has a higher audience because it's on at 9am and for the rest of the morning. The afternoons are the trough of daytime radio broadcasting. If they swapped slots, Afternoon Concert would have a higher reach.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I think he has handled the whole (bizarre even by BBC standards) episode with considerable dignity.

Comment

I was referring to the 'episode', not to Ian Skelly personally, to whom I always enjoy listening.

Comment

This afternoon we have a new programme : 'Classical Live' , described as 'specially-recorded music'.

Well, I suppose every recording was once 'live' when it was being recorded, but surely, on Radio, 'live' means 'musicians performing now'. I'm afraid this is more evidence that they don't really know what they're doing .

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                      This afternoon we have a new programme : 'Classical Live' , described as 'specially-recorded music'.

Well, I suppose every recording was once 'live' when it was being recorded, but surely, on Radio, 'live' means 'musicians performing now'. I'm afraid this is more evidence that they don't really know what they're doing .
                      The R3 definition of "live" changed a good few years ago, and it can be confusing and tiresome trying to sort out which version is being used in the various online listings.
                      BTW I can only see the (so-called) Afternoon Concert listed - when is this Classical Live on?

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

The R3 definition of "live" changed a good few years ago, and it can be confusing and tiresome trying to sort out which version is being used in the various online listings.
                        BTW I can only see the (so-called) Afternoon Concert listed - when is this Classical Live on?
                        1302 Monday to Friday starting on 1st April (honestly!) according to 'BBC Radio 3 Schedules'

Comment

Comment

1302 Monday to Friday starting on 1st April (honestly!) according to 'BBC Radio 3 Schedules'
                            Ah, so not "this afternoon" as in "today", that explains it.
                            I note from the listing that the Wigmore Hall contains music by a Welsh composer new to me - Johann Sebastian bach, and that the 3pm slot is apparently going to have 2 items - not simultaneously I hope...
                            At 3.00 .... Mitsuko Uchida plays the first set of Schubert's ..... Impromptus and the Danish Radio Symphony Orchestra .... perform a symphony......

Comment

The new schedule usually begins just after Easter. From the 8th the Wigmore Hall recitals resume at 1pm (and that's it as far as Lunchtime Concerts are concerned). With the news of plans in prospect for the abolition of the licence fee it's clear that R3 is not the real villain here.

Btw, the link to the forthcoming schedules is on the forum homepage - which increasingly people don't seem to bother with . And I assume the regular use of mobile phones to access the forum is the reason (?) why so few (lengthy) quotes get properly edited (yes, I've tried myself and it's a bore which is why I don't use my phone to reply to posts).
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Ah, so not "this afternoon" as in "today", that explains it.
                                I note from the listing that the Wigmore Hall contains music by a Welsh composer new to me - Johann Sebastian bach, and that the 3pm slot is apparently going to have 2 items - not simultaneously I hope...
                                ... and the performers have been relegated to parentheses.

Comment

Working...
                                X