Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... one of my niche interests - staffage - finally gets an exhibition of its own. And tied in with one of my favourite architects, Soane -
    Aah! A new word!

Comment

Yes, many thanks. I've often noticed these little people and wondered if there was a term for them. I can well understand why this could be a particular fascination.

I might mention a similar odd predilection of my own : what I call 'forgotten corners'. Here are two examples.

Along the old A5 (Watling Street) in Telford (part of that very long east-west dead straight alignment of the road the Romans put in ) the course of the road was bent southwards to meet a junction with the M54. This left a 100yard stretch stranded, leading nowhere, but perfectly tarmac'd. For nearly 2,000 years it had been a busy main road; now it is a silent backwater except for the occasional tinkers' caravan.

I was once in a large new building full of glass corridors,,etc. As I wandered around I came upon a little glazed-in courtyard, where no-one went. I don't think you could even get into it. It's nice to think that one day a pussycat will find it a good place to hide away peacefully and lick his paws.

Comment

Thanks for the various staffage links - new term for me as well. My wife was born in Saxony and we have Canaletto's Dresden Altmarkt in our living room wall (a reminder of what Dresden once looked like). Many years ago I held a birthday party at home, guests including various school colleagues. The art teacher was there and he took an interest in this picture and drew my attention to several figures standing in profile who appeared to have only one leg. Why take the trouble to paint their concealed rear leg?

Comment

thanks, Gurnemanz - interesting indeed!

Your Canaletto is of course the 'other Canaletto', viz Bernardo Bellotto rather than Giovanni Antonio Canal 'Canaletto'

When Warsaw was rebuilt after the war they were able to use the highly detailed paintings by Bellotto to, effectively, build from the ground up. When I was based in Warsaw I was confused by the fact that the many Bellottos in the museum were all labelled 'Canaletto'!
          [ wiki informs : "He was the student and nephew of the renowned Giovanni Antonio Canal Canaletto and sometimes used the latter's illustrious name, signing himself as Bernardo Canaletto. In Germany and Poland, Bellotto called himself by his uncle's name, Canaletto. This caused some confusion... "]
          Last edited by vinteuil; 22-03-24, 11:14.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            thanks, Gurnemanz - interesting indeed!

Your Canaletto is of course the 'other Canaletto', viz Bernardo Bellotto rather than Giovanni Antonio Canal 'Canaletto'

Thanks for update. I had not fully grasped that fact. I should have. Just looked, it does say so on the back.​

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I'm reminded of the figures depicted in Canaletto's paintings of London.
              I have fond memories of an exhibition of Canaletto's London paintings at the Dulwich Art Gallery a few years ago, not just for the paintings but of taking my 90+ father along. He had grown up round there and we did a small nostalgia tour of the area. Special memories for him upon seeing the pictures, having known London well pre-Blitz.

Comment

My first visit to the refurbished Burrell Collection in Glasgow today on a fine spring morning. Many examples of enhanced educational material, much of it interactive, some of it really informative. Such an eclectic collection is, I find, overwhelming in its sheer profusion. Next time I'll confine myself to one area and concentrate on that. My eye is on the Nottingham alabasters. NB A Degas exhibition coming up from 24th of May to September for those who are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

I have fond memories of an exhibition of Canaletto's London paintings at the Dulwich Art Gallery a few years ago, not just for the paintings but of taking my 90+ father along. He had grown up round there and we did a small nostalgia tour of the area. Special memories for him upon seeing the pictures, having known London well pre-Blitz.
                  My wife and I also went to that Canaletto exhibition. Very enjoyable indeed. I came away with a print of this Canaletto Capriccio, which is on the wall not far from where I'm typing this post. It's such a charming painting, with lots of playful details. Nothing is spick and span. The walls and paving stones are filthy. The shades over the windows are hanging down at awkward angles. There's laundry hanging out of a window. And all these figures. Wealthy dandies and humble servants. I like to imagine that Canaletto is saying to us - there's a story here, but what is it?

Comment

Working...
                  X