X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
    [all that Alor and Bof stuff]
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
      Sun-kissed pile of predictable **** isn’t it…

I didn’t last long.

Apart from anything else, I have never seen (nor can I imagine) wine for a hifallutin’ reception in France being served from wine boxes

Nice Citroën DS though
      Being a pleb and a sucker for series based in Provence, that are not too serious or requiring much analysis I enjoyed watching it. I’ll analyse Cynthia’s Prom today via Sounds?

Comment

Sun-kissed pile of predictable **** isn’t it…

I didn’t last long.

Apart from anything else, I have never seen (nor can I imagine) wine for a hifallutin’ reception in France being served from wine boxes

Nice Citroën DS though
        I watched this last night (I watched the Prom on Sunday night).

What a pile of steaming merde. At no stage did any of the characters convince that they were French, and not just because they were speaking in English. Clothes, posture, gestures and attitudes all wrong, as well as the overuse of colloquial English. It was also painfully obvious that, apart from a few carefully chosen exterior shots, that it was filmed almost entirely in England, and judging by the pedestrian direction and camerawork probably by the same people responsible for Midsomer Murders.
        "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
        Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Originally posted by LHC View Post
          I watched this last night (I watched the Prom on Sunday night). What a pile of steaming merde.
          Qu'est que c'est, cette merde?

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            Qu'est que c'est, cette merde?

“Murder in Provence” ….

Sorry, neither 8tho nor I named it, did we.

To paraphrase the old Michelin Guides, cela ne vaut pas le détour
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

“Murder in Provence” ….

Sorry, neither 8tho nor I named it, did we.

To paraphrase the old Michelin Guides, cela ne vaut pas le détour
              I did wonder, briefly, if it could have been 'allo, 'allo...!

Comment

Quite! Though nothing like a well-written or performed.

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                  ....it must have/and with new characters every week, it will cost large amounts to do such a production. Must be a huge amount spent on imaginary 'having lunch' situations.

....I would have been more happy if some Gallic gestures and postures had been used ....not enough hand gestures/exclaimations/lip twisting [with all this large budget being spent you'd have thought the characters would have had an all important Lip-Twisting coach as bare minimum]....Somewhere in this episode I thought it would be better if the actors continually swung and flicked their fingers, shrugged negatively [all that Alor and Bof stuff] - while English dialogue would be replaced by unintelligable French sounding grunts....The dialogue would then be consumed via sub-title as in Montalbano....Allam needs French Greeting Kissing coaching too....
                  That would need viewers not only to tolerate all that forrin stuff wot we've got rid of, but also to be able to read... A step too far perhaps?

Comment

....Actually Kb I thought that too....it could so easily have ended up that way....I was playing with that senario too....all it needed was a couple of berets, and secretive 4th wall dialogue....spot on, At the end when Allam was on the roof he should have done a to the audience sardonic/laconic soliloquy [hand cupping chin....]
                    Last edited by eighthobstruction; 19-07-22, 13:32.
                    bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                      That would need viewers not only to tolerate all that forrin stuff wot we've got rid of, but also to be able to read... A step too far perhaps?
                      ....surely them lot is all "danthepub getnumin"....or ello ello stylee "pob"
                      bong ching

Comment

An interesting 2-part documentary (from 2014) on the hydrological society of Angkor:

Archaeologists use new imaging technology to unlock the secrets of Angkor in Cambodia.

and

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04kn99x ("available soon").

Comment

Last night BBC4 repeated the excellent Natural World documentary 'The Octopus in My House'. What amazing creatures they are - fascinating programme about this animal which Professor David Scheel says is so different from any other species on the planet. He brings Heidi, a day octopus, to live in his living room with him and his daughter and in the process tells us about octopuses. Just as fascinating second time around as it was the first.
                          A professor invites an octopus into his home to learn about its amazing intelligence.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                            Last night BBC4 repeated the excellent Natural World documentary 'The Octopus in My House'. What amazing creatures they are - fascinating programme about this animal which Professor David Scheel says is so different from any other species on the planet. He brings Heidi, a day octopus, to live in his living room with him and his daughter and in the process tells us about octopuses. Just as fascinating second time around.
                            https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0007snt
                            Indeed, BBC FOUR served up a trio of fine "Nature programmes last night:

Film that shows how ocean waves are not only beautiful but also profoundly important.

Comment

Last night BBC4 repeated the excellent Natural World documentary 'The Octopus in My House'.
                              Thanks for the heads up on this film, John. I just watched it for the first time: fascinating.

Comment

Last night BBC4 repeated the excellent Natural World documentary 'The Octopus in My House'. What amazing creatures they are - fascinating programme about this animal which Professor David Scheel says is so different from any other species on the planet. He brings Heidi, a day octopus, to live in his living room with him and his daughter and in the process tells us about octopuses. Just as fascinating second time around as it was the first.
                                https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0007snt
                                Er... octopi???

Comment

Working...
                                X