Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    ...Of course, if the instrument had been available to Elgar, and had he heard such excellent playing of it, then surely he would've preferred it to the Posthorn?
    Don't you sometimes wish there were giant emoticons?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      Had Elgar actually HEARD the sound of the Shofar ?
      Almost certainly not (see post 10), though he consulted a Rabbi on traditional Jewish music.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        But the letter says it all really, and it's a bit of a kick in the teeth to our dear old HIPPster friends who are so compulsive-obsessive about what is written in the score.
        I don't think so at all given what the "I" stands for in HIPP. It's precisely this kind of information that informs performance practice

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          Alvin is the man methinks

Excerpt from world premiere of Shofar III, composed by Alvin Curran for shofar, keyboard, electronics, bullroarer, corrugated tube, and percussion, performed...

as is

Crispian Steele-Perkins of course

though i'd go a long way to hear Alvin's piece .............
          Does it get better later?

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            I don't know whether this concert has been mentioned anywhere, but Elgarians will be pleased to know that "The Apostles" is to be performed in the Bridgewater Hall on 5th May.

I've already booked our tickets. I do have the secret hope that Sir Mark Elder will use a real shofar, instead of a trumpet pretending to be one.
            When the planned CD of the performance is issued, it would be great to have one that used the correct instrument used. I wonder whether the composer's own performances used a shofar?

I have also made arrangements for my tickets for The Apostles at the Bridgewater hall. I know that Sir Mark has been preparing for this night for some considerable time. I attend and report on many Hallé concerts each year and they are an excellent orchestra these days. After the experience of three weeks swinging with Bernstein's Wonderful Town down the road at the Salford Lowry close to the 'Theatre of Dreams' this versatile orchestra must be champing at the bit for some Elgar. I should think that this is the hottest ticket in town for any Elgarian this year.

Comment

R3 going to broadcast this?
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                R3 going to broadcast this?
                I'm not sure if they will broadcast it. But they will almost certainly record the performance and release it on their own Hallé label.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                  But they will almost certainly record the performance and release it on their own Hallé label.
                  They've already committed themselves to this.

Comment

Elgar's The Apostles at the Bridgewater Hall, Manchester Hallé/Sir Mark Elder

I attended Saturday evening’s performance at the Bridgewater Hall, Manchester of Elgar’s oratorio The Apostles performed by the Hallé Orchestra and Choirs conducted by Sir Mark Elder. I thought the performance was awesome, so dramatic at times, yet so reverential; really wonderful Elgar.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                      I attended Saturday evening’s performance at the Bridgewater Hall, Manchester of Elgar’s oratorio The Apostles performed by the Hallé Orchestra and Choirs conducted by Sir Mark Elder. I thought the performance was awesome, so dramatic at times, yet so reverential; really wonderful Elgar.
                      Do you know if the performance was recorded for future release , as previously with ' Gerontius ' etc ?

Comment

The performance conducted by Stephen Cleobury that was broadcast on R3 last Thursday afternoon is still available on the i-Player.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
                          Do you know if the performance was recorded for future release , as previously with ' Gerontius ' etc ?
                          Would be curious about that myself!

Comment

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
                            Yes, it was being recorded for commercial release. They'll have to have re recorded the end of part I (and to a lesser extent II) though, as the cretins suffering from a nasty bout of the clap had gravitated North for the evening...

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              The performance conducted by Stephen Cleobury that was broadcast on R3 last Thursday afternoon is still available on the i-Player.
                              Thanks for that fhg , will have a listen.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon B View Post
                                Yes, it was being recorded for commercial release. They'll have to have re recorded the end of part I (and to a lesser extent II) though, as the cretins suffering from a nasty bout of the clap had gravitated North for the evening...
                                Thanks. I await the recording with ' interest '.

Comment

Working...
                                X