Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxerphil View Post
    I was singing on the 5th in this concert (1st tenor) - it certainly felt like an awesome experience to me - I believe one of the best we've done in the six years I have been in the Halle Choir. We are all buzzing at the wonderful reviews (the Guardian especially - who gave us 5 stars).
    In that case, pleas allow me to thank you for your part in that superb performance.
    Anyway, I actually had a chance to speak to the 'shofar' player. It is true that Elgar didn't want an actual ram's horn but a longer trumpet. The player (whose name escapes me)
    Bob Farley, according to the programme.
    and who I got the chance to talk to, said that it was in fact a recreation of a temple trumpet thought to have been used around the time period of the drama. It was a very strange beast indeed, and looked for all the world like a set of copper plumbing pipes with a curved horn at the end - rather like an elongated French Horn bell. But what a wonderful declamatory sound it made (though I wouldn't have liked being sat close to it!)
    Thank you very much for sharing this with us.

Comment

Ah, here's the Guardian review.

Comment

Sang Bass 1 last Saturday and have followed the thread with interest. Here are two more reviews -

I also deplored the early clapper who totally and single-handedly destroyed the moments of silence and contemplation demanded at the end of both halves.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          It seemed to be a hybrid - a straight trumpet with a bell with a vague resemblance to a shofar. Its impact was tremendous. Hearing the Thursday night broadcast (apparently with a real shofar) convinced me that Elgar was right in not wanting the "real thing".
          Here's a pic, courtesy of a twitter tweet - http://t.co/4FMJ5o92

Comment

Originally posted by BassOne83 View Post
            I also deplored the early clapper who totally and single-handedly destroyed the moments of silence and contemplation demanded at the end of both halves.
            The Bridgewater ought to take a lead from Sport and find that a**eh**e and ban them from the Hall for life.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
              It said in the programe notes to the Hallé/Sir Mark Elder concert of The Apostles last Saturday at the Bridgewater Hall that "for tonight Sir Mark Elder has tracked down a genuine schofar player". That's as maybe but the player wasn't playing a schofar (the original Hebrew Ram’s horn instrument). Does anyone know the name of what was being played on the night; it looked like some form of a long straight brass instrument to me?
              As a member of the HYC I can tell you that it was a shofar, just not traditionally made out of a ram's horn as Jewish shofars usually are One thing we enjoyed in the Thursday night rehearsal was S. Mark's vocal rendition of a shofar! But yes, this was actually a shofar, it just wasn't made out of a ram's horn but instead out of hardwood and metal

Comment

I was singing on the 5th in this concert (1st tenor) - it certainly felt like an awesome experience to me - I believe one of the best we've done in the six years I have been in the Halle Choir. We are all buzzing at the wonderful reviews (the Guardian especially - who gave us 5 stars). Anyway, I actually had a chance to speak to the 'shofar' player. It is true that Elgar didn't want an actual ram's horn but a longer trumpet. The player (whose name escapes me) and who I got the chance to talk to, said that it was in fact a recreation of a temple trumpet thought to have been used around the time period of the drama. It was a very strange beast indeed, and looked for all the world like a set of copper plumbing pipes with a curved horn at the end - rather like an elongated French Horn bell. But what a wonderful declamatory sound it made (though I wouldn't have liked being sat close to it!)
                He was a fun guy indeed! I need to see the Guardian's review then, I don't know about HC, but certainly the majority of HYC are still buzzing over The Apostles and I'm sure would love to see the five stars if they haven't already. I must say, S. Mark's vocal representation certainly wasn't swamped by the orchestra and choirs but definitely the instrument itself was far louder!
                Hope to see you at the Proms, I wonder if they'll have the same temple trumpet (and player) then?

Comment

Originally posted by BassOne83 View Post
                  Sang Bass 1 last Saturday and have followed the thread with interest. Here are two more reviews -

Someone clapped once/twice at the end of "He hath chosen the weak to confound the mighty"--that whole section of amazing music and they nearly ruined it by coming close to breaking into applause at the end of page 52. I assume HC still have their copies for Proms 37, HYC members have, and luckily so, as we are currently suffering from Post-Concert Depression

Comment

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                    The Bridgewater ought to take a lead from Sport and find that a**eh**e and ban them from the Hall for life.
                    Better still; send him a bill for the cost of the patching sessions which his self-indulgence necessitated. #that'lllearn'em.

Comment

Yes indeed. The idiot who clapped first at the end of both halves was sitting almost immediately behind me in the side circle. He looked like an older version of Lex Luther. I gave him the most withering look possible.

But I agree with the plaudits for the performance. Sir Mark Elder had researched Elgar's "seating plan" and followed it closely. This was truly HIPP Elgar. The shofar part was played on anstrument that was a cross between a posthorn and a genuine Shofar. The Halle Youth Choir were simply superb in their "alleluyas" in Part 2.
                      Thank you! All the reviews (three) which I have read, and thread posts so far, and not one of them has mentioned out Alleluias, I'm glad to see they stood out for you

Comment

I was in the Side Circle (right) on row B. The Lex Luther clapper was on row D on the door - the only "negative" I can recall from the whole evening. But I'll not dwell upon it.
                        I felt a bit sorry for the boys in the Halle Youth Choir. They had very little to do.
                        Strange how in the rehearsals it doesn't actually feel like they have little to do, though in retrospect they didn't have an awful lot in the score--it was mainly about the actual performance, directions, making it different.

Comment

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
                          Do you know if the performance was recorded for future release , as previously with ' Gerontius ' etc ?
                          Yes, it was, though may sound slightly different to the concert due to patching, and it will be time before it is released.

Comment

Originally posted by indie1337 View Post
                            Thank you! All the reviews (three) which I have read, and thread posts so far, and not one of them has mentioned out Alleluias, I'm glad to see they stood out for you
                            When I first heard The Apostles, at a live performance under Sir Charles Groves in Liverpool Cathedral, the Alleluyas were given an extra lift - literally, for the young choir was placed on a high tier in the cathedral. This would have been possible in the Bridgewater Hall too, but that may not have been part of Elgar's "plan".

Comment

It feels wonderful to get feedback like this. Thanks!

Comment

It feels wonderful to get feedback like this. Thanks!
                                You're welcome. And do tell your choir colleagues how much it was appreciated by those of us in the audience.

Comment

Working...
                                X