Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the concept of a single-handed clapper!

Comment

Originally posted by mybigtrombone View Post
      I like the concept of a single-handed clapper!
      Very Zen!
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

That was careless of me!! I used to be a wringer-out for a one-armed window cleaner. I believe, from the highest authority, that the cretin has been spoken to!

Comment

The CD may be available in time for the Proms - here's hoping!

Comment

Originally posted by BassOne83 View Post
            That was careless of me!! I used to be a wringer-out for a one-armed window cleaner. I believe, from the highest authority, that the cretin has been spoken to!

The CD may be available in time for the Proms - here's hoping!

I'm just rather upset that I can't go to the Proms performance.

Comment

CD release of the Halle / Elder ' Apostles ' currently scheduled for 3 September 2012.

Elgar: The Apostles, Op. 49. Hallé: CDHLD7534. Buy 2 CDs or download online. Rebecca Evans (The Angel Gabriel/The Blessed Virgin Mary), Alice Coote (Mary Magdalene/Narrator 2), Paul Groves (Narrator 1/John), Jacques Imbrailo (Jesus), David Kempster (Peter) & Brindley Sherratt (Judas) Hallé & Hallé Youth Choir & Hallé Choir, Sir Mark Elder

Comment

Following such a superb live performance, I was slow to order the CD of the concert, knowing that nothing could bring back the true sounds heard in the Bridgewater Hall. However, it arrived on my doormat today. I've listened to part of if, and much of the impact remains.

Has anyone else noticed a "pumping" effect, caused by sound compression? It isn't good, and in these days of digital sound, there isn't much excuse for it (expect for low bit-rate broadcasts, perhaps).
                There was no mention of this in the reviews I read.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  Following such a superb live performance, I was slow to order the CD of the concert, knowing that nothing could bring back the true sounds heard in the Bridgewater Hall. However, it arrived on my doormat today. I've listened to part of if, and much of the impact remains.

Has anyone else noticed a "pumping" effect, caused by sound compression? It isn't good, and in these days of digital sound, there isn't much excuse for it (expect for low bit-rate broadcasts, perhaps).
                  There was no mention of this in the reviews I read.
                  Hello Eine Alpensinfonie,

I was very interested by your post concerning the Hallé/Elder recording of the 'The Apostles'. Please can you explain more what you mean by the ""pumping" effect, caused by sound compression"?

Comment

It's a term that was used to describe the side effects of limiters and some noise reduction systems. I listened again to the "Dawn" sequence in Part 1 and there does seem to be something strange about it, which may or may not be related to a recording method not fully working the way it should.

That said, all the rest is quite magnificent and lives up to the experience in the concert as well as any recording could. I suppose I found the spotlight miking of the soloists slightly overdone, but less so than in the Hickox and similar to the Boult recording. Strongly recommended overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      It's a term that was used to describe the side effects of limiters and some noise reduction systems. I listened again to the "Dawn" sequence in Part 1 and there does seem to be something strange about it, which may or may not be related to a recording method not fully working the way it should.

That said, all the rest is quite magnificent and lives up to the experience in the concert as well as any recording could. I suppose I found the spotlight miking of the soloists slightly overdone, but less so than in the Hickox and similar to the Boult recording. Strongly recommended overall.

Hiya Eine Alpensinfonie,

Thanks for that. On the brand new releases from the Hallé/Sir Mark Elder of the Vaughan Williams Symphonies 5 & 8on the Hallé's own label I think I detect the same thing going on with the Symphony No. 5. The Symphony No. 5 was recorded live at the Bridgewater Hall (I was there) and patched in studio conditions and the Symphony No. 8 is a studio only recording. The Hallé and Sir Mark Elder are excellent guides here and this is an wonderful release.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                        Hiya Eine Alpensinfonie,

Thanks for that. On the brand new releases from the Hallé/Sir Mark Elder of the Vaughan Williams Symphonies 5 & 8on the Hallé's own label I think I detect the same thing going on with the Symphony No. 5. The Symphony No. 5 was recorded live at the Bridgewater Hall (I was there) and patched in studio conditions and the Symphony No. 8 is a studio only recording. The Hallé and Sir Mark Elder are excellent guides here and this is an wonderful release.
                        That's most interesting. The Apostles is a patched/live recording too. Could this be a factor? I wouldn't have thought so, but maybe...?

Comment

Good to see that the live recording won the Choral category in the Gramophone Awards.

Comment

Working...
                          X