Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Monday's Wigmore Hall concerts seem to have survived and will form part of 'Classical Live'.
    Have they? I don't see any mention of them on the BBC release.
    What is currently playing is a (properly) live recital.I don't see that this, .
    ..the programme will bring listeners exclusive performances of orchestral and chamber music recorded by...
    from the BBC release gives any indication that such would continue, despite in the same sentence trumpeting yet again the now largely meaningless
    Radio 3 as the home of live classical music
    Apologies. I've just read to the bottom of the page and see that Wigmore hall is specifically mentioned for the "from April" schedule. I still have my doubts though.
    Last edited by oddoneout; 26-02-24, 14:34. Reason: Read beyond the TV slot!

Comment

Monday's Wigmore Hall concerts seem to have survived and will form part of 'Classical Live'.
      Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Have they? I don't see any mention of them on the BBC release.
      What is currently playing is a (properly) live recital.I don't see that this, . from the BBC release gives any indication that such would continue, despite in the same sentence trumpeting yet again the now largely meaningless
      If you scroll down below the TV bit on the BBC press release, there's an outline schedule, which mentions the WH concert on Mondays. (I missed it at first, because I assumed that the TV bit marked the end of the R3 bit.)

One ominous omission from the schedule is TTN on Saturday mornings - to be replaced with more tear-jerking?

I note that The Essay has been moved forward to 9-45pm, limiting R3iC to two hours and three quarters. Usually that would be enough, but occasionally live concerts do extend right up to 10pm (and beyond, occasionally). Does this imply that there will be no more live concerts, a return to the dark days of 'cut-and-shut' evening concerts?

It's all rather depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post

If you scroll down below the TV bit on the BBC press release, there's an outline schedule, which mentions the WH concert on Mondays. (I missed it at first, because I assumed that the TV bit marked the end of the R3 bit.)

One ominous omission from the schedule is TTN on Saturday mornings - to be replaced with more tear-jerking?

I note that The Essay has been moved forward to 9-45pm, limiting R3iC to two hours and three quarters. Usually that would be enough, but occasionally live concerts do extend right up to 10pm (and beyond, occasionally). Does this imply that there will be no more live concerts, a return to the dark days of 'cut-and-shut' evening concerts?

It's all rather depressing.
        Yes I stopped at the TV bit as well - I amended my reply to LMcD when I realised there was more radio stuff.
        I have read it several times now and can't find anything to raise my spirits about R3 output in 2024. And the TV offerings, for all the trumpeting, don't seem to be exactly earth shattering in terms of quantity. Having Young Musician finals back on BBC2 is good in one respect - that it's more likely to be seen - but I doubt its presentation will be improved(all back story/journeys and gushing), and just showing the finals rather misses the point.

Comment

I've been looking at the new schedules again. It seems that the Lunchtime Concert slot has been lost, apart from the Monday Wigmore Hall one, absorbed into the Classical Live pot, so sunk without trace in effect.

Comment

I've been looking at the new schedules again. It seems that the Lunchtime Concert slot has been lost, apart from the Monday Wigmore Hall one, absorbed into the Classical Live pot, so sunk without trace in effect.
            That is a disgrace. That’s seriously annoyed me, another step in the decline of our civilisation.

Comment

As confirmed under 'Lunchtime Concerts One Stop Shop'.

Comment

Though there won't have been much choice about this. The hall and performers will be booked well ahead. Hopefully the Wigmore lunchtimes are there to stay, but with the rest of the week going and the Sunday repeat disappearing the signs don't look good. Though the release does mention Edinburgh Festival coverage, presumably that will be live lunchtime concerts rather than just recording the well thought out programmed concerts and chopping them up.

Comment

Today's lunchtime recital featured two acclaimed singers, Alessandro Fisher and the mezzo Helen Charlston who possesses the most distinctive voice I've heard in a while. Until I read who was performing I assumed in my ignorance that it was the voice of a male alto. Well worth a listen if you haven't heard her.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                    Today's lunchtime recital featured two acclaimed singers, Alessandro Fisher and the mezzo Helen Charlston who possesses the most distinctive voice I've heard in a while. Until I read who was performing I assumed in my ignorance that it was the voice of a male alto. Well worth a listen if you haven't heard her.
                    A truly wonderful concert - I was going to post but got distracted .Completely agree re Helen - a real find and such a lovely blend with the tenor, And as for Alessandro he has that wonderful light tenor with beautiful vibrato that gets me thinking John McCormack , then the mind drifts to that masterful Joyce short story The Dead where light song plays a big part.

Comment

Originally posted by OtherwiseSatis View Post

.........Though the release does mention Edinburgh Festival coverage, presumably that will be live lunchtime concerts rather than just recording the well thought out programmed concerts and chopping them up.
                      And as it doesn't mention Cheltenham Festival lunchtime concerts, these are probably to be axed. I have enjoyed those live and then the lunchtime 'smorgasbord' hour's worth at home.

Comment

A terrfiic lunchtime song recital today by Masabane Cecilia Rangwanasha with Simon Leper and Anna Blackmur. A highlight of the week and well worth catching on repeat.

Comment

A terrfiic lunchtime song recital today by Masabane Cecilia Rangwanasha with Simon Leper and Anna Blackmur. A highlight of the week and well worth catching on repeat.
                          She has an extraordinary voice providing that sort of power so high in the range and thrillingly in tune. But I wonder whether she could be more subtle in both the Strauss and the Mahler .It’s all too big a voice for a recital sometimes. That Climb Every Mountain was way over the top wasn’t it ?
                          I’m much preferring Asmik Grigorians Four Last Songs on Radio 3 In Concert now. This is really beautiful singing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

She has an extraordinary voice providing that sort of power so high in the range and thrillingly in tune. But I wonder whether she could be more subtle in both the Strauss and the Mahler .It’s all too big a voice for a recital sometimes. That Climb Every Mountain was way over the top wasn’t it ?
                            I’m much preferring Asmik Grigorians Four Last Songs on Radio 3 In Concert now. This is really beautiful singing.
                            There were moments when I felt as you describe but I thought the Wagner was radiant as indeed those two songs should be. With such a magnificent voice it must be very difficult to resist going for it - a feeling that I have had with Bryn Terfel sometimes.

Comment

There were moments when I felt as you describe but I thought the Wagner was radiant as indeed those two songs should be. With such a magnificent voice it must be very difficult to resist going for it - a feeling that I have had with Bryn Terfel sometimes.
                              A good comparison . Bryn has damaged his voice by singing roles that are too big for it, I’m not sure there are roles too big for Masabane Cecilia . Her voice is now at its height - if she keeps forcing it even on songs like Climb Every Mountain which aren’t worth it I’m worried she will just get a wider and wider vibrato as has happened to Bryn. Thrilling sound though and magnetic stage presence - truly she has the world at her feet at the moment. Try Asmik Grigorian in Four Last Songs - so much subtler singing in my view.

Comment

Nelson Goerner - Wigmore Hall March 25

i was looking forward to this, especially as he programmed Balakirev, Islamey.
                                Oh dear, a veritable car crash of a ‘performance’. He needs an honest agent, it was a shocker!

Comment

Working...
                                X