Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Well, now that the new 'class divisions' in UK society make it clear that going to concerts, theatre, listening to classical music are not the kind of pastimes to lift you into the new 'elite' class (using Facebook and Twitter do), at least we can't be accused of 'elitism' - though I presume Nu-Radio 3 can...?
    I did that Class test ...... when I skewed the results by saying I hung out with high class Solicitors and even listened to Jazz, I still was Traditional Working Class. If only I tweeted and facebooked and listened to Hip-Hop ..... My life could be so much more Elite and enriched!
    Ontopic: I've only listened to R3 for around 10 years, so not really entitled to comment, but mornings now is really a dog's dinner.

Comment

[...] For the first few years, from 1996 and to my amazement, not understanding the system, it was Donald MacLeod, every night for weeks on end. [...]
      As I recall from reading Humphrey Carpenter's excellent history of R3, Donald MacLeod 'created' TTN (in the sense that the term is used in ballet).

Comment

well speaking as a proletarian of quite the worst sort [educated alas] i find r3 overweening and arrogant in the condescension of its fake geniality and chattiness; as if that was what i needed in order to listen to serious music ... i am TWC the BBC Class Test says so .. in fact quite a lot of us serious listeners around here appear to be TWC ... strange that they worry so about accessibility and upper class elitism ... when the majority of us listeners seem to be working class puritans ....
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Though I have an inkling Catriona Young was even on the CotW rota before Donald MacLeod took over permanently (?). Or am I confusing her with (?) Jill (??) ....
          Jill Anderson

(Also trad working class ...) Me, I mean. Don't know about JA.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            As I recall from reading Humphrey Carpenter's excellent history of R3, Donald MacLeod 'created' TTN (in the sense that the term is used in ballet).
            I was only an irregular listener to R3 in the 1980s, but when I listened to Radio 4's TTN (aka the World Service) I eventually got fed up with it and twiddled the knob in the small hours to find the real TTN and D MacLeod. That's all it took to hook me totally to R3.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
              i am TWC the BBC Class Test says so .. in fact quite a lot of us serious listeners around here appear to be TWC ... strange that they worry so about accessibility and upper class elitism ... when the majority of us listeners seem to be working class puritans ....
              I was a bit disconcerted, I always thought I was terribly middle-class. However, I now know my place! "Ever so 'umble" touching forelock, grateful for your crumbs, Sir, bows whilst exiting backwards from room and sincere apologies I have friends who work as cleaners and in supermarkets (Oh, I am so, totally, like, ashamed)

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                well speaking as a proletarian of quite the worst sort [educated alas] i find r3 overweening and arrogant in the condescension of its fake geniality and chattiness; as if that was what i needed in order to listen to serious music ... i am TWC the BBC Class Test says so .. in fact quite a lot of us serious listeners around here appear to be TWC ... strange that they worry so about accessibility and upper class elitism ... when the majority of us listeners seem to be working class puritans ....
                I'm sure I recall reading Orwell saying how well-read he found the TWC in The Road to Wigan Pier.

The policy wonks at BBC demand "inclusivity". Ironic, then, that the ones perceived as being as excluded (TWC) formerly felt included but now find themselves excluded by dint of this "inclusive" text/email/tweeting-Hungarian-hoedown-dosey-doeing drivel.
                It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                  ...but mornings now is really a dog's dinner.
                  dish at wrong orifice surely?

Comment

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                    [...] The policy wonks at BBC demand "inclusivity". Ironic, then, that the ones perceived as being as excluded (TWC) formerly felt included but now find themselves excluded by dint of this "inclusive" text/email/tweeting-Hungarian-hoedown-dosey-doeing drivel.

Last edited by kernelbogey; 07-04-13, 17:15. Reason: A beer for Throps who's lost his hard drive.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

Thanks, KB. Bit of a rotten day for the ol' Thropp-meister. The pith helmet is no longer tipped at a rakish angle but lies somewhat dishevelled and skew whiff o'the noggin.
                      It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

thropplenoggin methinks you deserve a large cognac and a double espresso ....
                        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Thanks, KB. Bit of a rotten day for the ol' Thropp-meister. The pith helmet is no longer tipped at a rakish angle but lies somewhat dishevelled and skew whiff o'the noggin.
                          Cripes, Throppers. I cannot imagine the pain it must cost to a man to lose his hard drive.

Comment

I'm sure I recall reading Orwell saying how well-read he found the TWC in The Road to Wigan Pier.

The policy wonks at BBC demand "inclusivity". Ironic, then, that the ones perceived as being as excluded (TWC) formerly felt included but now find themselves excluded by dint of this "inclusive" text/email/tweeting-Hungarian-hoedown-dosey-doeing drivel.
                            Never researched this, but I did read somewhere that the nation as a whole was never so literate(not sure by what measure) as around the turn of the C19/20.
                            This can be observed apparently in the high quality of letters from the WW1 trenches, and can in part be put down to the fact that the written word was the principle medium for news,and entertainment(Dickens, weekly Sherlock Holmes etc).

Edit: hope things perk up, Noggo.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

I see that this morning there was technically part of a single movement - the allegro from the first section of Mozart's violin sonata K 379 but not the adagio which comes just before it (I suppose it made sense as there'd already been the adagio from Spartacus, recalling that good old TV series). But also Rosamunde, Una furtiva lagrima, the Overture from Lawrence of Arabia, the Flight of the Bumblebee, April in Paris, the Karelia Suite, Handel in the Strand, a bit from a bit of the Four Seasons, about 8 other single movements, plus bits of suites. Is this the best ever Hall of Fame soundalike? (I know people like Farewell to Stromness, so I don't include it - I always expect to hear P McCartney joining in.)

Yes, I know, this is what Breakfast is supposed to be like but ...

For those who are bored by the carping:

Comment

I don't like Farewell to Stromness horribly dull little piece, a real CFM Hall of Fame special.Classic FM though from my occasional dips in, is rapidly becoming more civilized and professional than parts of R3.

Comment

Working...
                                X