Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
    The above sums up very neatly why I now listen to Radio3 less than I ever have before. And I fear things will get worse before they get better. If they ever do....
    Same here! These sorts of trivia, like sex and violence, we can get enough of at home.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
      oops, the timings look a bit strange on this morning's playlist everything's happening between 7:00 and 8:00

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01463nc
      It's the new plan. Get all the intrusive musical snippets over quickly - then settle down to the chat.

Comment

0814: Chopin: Minute Waltz
        0856: The best of this week's 'Embarrassing Extracts from My Holiday Diary'
        0957: Mahler: Adagietto from the 5th symphony (the bit where Dirk Bogarde's gondola passes under the bridge)
        0959: Result of the 'My Favourite Music to Trim My Beard to' poll.

Comment

My bet is something by Carlos Chavez.

Comment

The winner turned out to be Haydn's String Quartet Op. 55 No. 2, followed by a compilation of Samuel Barber's greatest hits.

Comment

I'm sure we will all be up with Petroc at 06.30 on Monday - I know I shall. If the knives are still sharp the playlist has appeared! I thought Mr. Cowan went out quite gracefully this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                I'm sure we will all be up with Petroc at 06.30 on Monday - I know I shall. If the knives are still sharp the playlist has appeared! I thought Mr. Cowan went out quite gracefully this morning.
                Here's Monday's offerings:
                06:31
                Telemann
                Fanfare from Suite in D major TWV 55 D:18
                Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin
                Harmonia Mundi HMX 2901795
                Tr. 13

06:34
                Parry
                I was glad
                Choir of Winchester Cathedral
                Waynflete Singers
                Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra
                David Hill
                Argo 430 836-2
                Tr. 1

06:42
                Faure
                Dolly - suite for piano duet (Op.56), no.1; Berceuse
                Katia & Marielle Labeque [piano]
                Philips 420 1592
                Tr. 13

06:45
                Brahms
                Academic festival overture (Op.80)
                Berlin Philharmonic
                Claudio Abbado
                DG 435 6832
                Tr. 1

07:03
                Bernstein
                Mambo from West Side Story
                Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra of Venezuela
                Gustavo Dudamel [conductor]
                DG 477 8337
                Tr. 11

07:06
                Claude DEBUSSY
                Images - no.1; Reflets dans l'eau
                Pierre-Laurent Aimard [piano]
                Warner 8573 83940-2
                Tr. 1

07:11
                Marin Marais
                Sonnerie de St Genevieve du Mont de Paris
                Le Concert des Nations
                Jordi Savall [bass viol and direction]
                Alia Vox AV 9821
                Tr. 16

07:20
                Delibes
                Les Chasseresses from Sylvia
                New Philharmonia Orchestra
                Richard Bonynge [conductor]
                Decca 478 1526
                CD8 Tr. 15

07:31
                Vivaldi
                L’Olimpiade RV 725 (Sinfonia)
                Orfeo 55
                Nathalie Stutzmann [director]
                DG 476 4390
                Tr. 15-17

07:37
                Chopin
                Nocturne Op 27 no 2
                Maria Joao Pires [piano]
                DG 477 8445
                CD7 Tr. 8

07:44
                Shostakovich
                Festival Overture Op 96
                Russian National Orchestra
                Mikhail Pletnev [conductor]
                DG 439 8922
                Tr. 3

07:53
                Haydn
                Symphony no.104 (H.1.104) in D major "London", 4th movement; Finale
                Les Musiciens du Louvre-Grenobles
                Marc Minkowski [conductor]
                Naïve V 5176
                Tr. 12

08:03
                Copland
                Hoedown from Rodeo
                San Francisco Symphony Orchestra
                Michael Tilson Thomas [conductor]
                RCA 09026635112
                Tr. 6

08:07
                Pergolesi
                Stabat Mater
                The Academy of Ancient Music
                Emma Kirkby [soprano]
                ames Bowman [counter tenor]
                Christopher Hogwood [conductor]
                L'Oiseau-Lyre 425 692-2
                Tr. 1

08:12
                Mozart
                Divertimento K251: 1st mvt: Allegro molto
                Scottish Chamber Orchestra
                Alexander Janiczek [director]
                LINN CKD 320
                Tr. 10

08:17
                Rachmaninov
                Concerto for piano and orchestra no. 2 (Op. 18) in C minor: 2nd mvt - Adagio Sostenuto
                Simon Trpceski [piano]
                Royal Liverpool Philharmonic
                Vasily Petrenko [conductor]
                Avie AV 2192
                Tr. 2

08:31
                Bach
                Gloria from Mass in F major BWV 233
                Chorus and Orchestra of Collegium Vocale Ghent
                Philippe Herreweghe [director]
                Virgin 6 28481 2 1
                CD1 Tr. 2

08:37
                Elgar
                Where Corals lie from Sea Pictures
                Dame Janet Baker
                London Symphony Orchestra
                Sir John Barbirolli [conductor]
                Philips 465 253-2
                Tr. 2

08:42
                Sibelius
                Symphony No 5 – 3rd mvt (Finale)
                Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra
                Maris Jansons [conductor]
                Label tbc
                Tr. tbc

A confection of (very) familiar pieces and bleeding chunks tumbled together into a cake of unutterable blandness that would sit well in CFM schedules at any time of the day or night.

It so happens that I am handling (for the estate) the library of books and CDs of a late and dear customer of mine. The Cds number into thousands (gulp!) and I am having a marvellous weekend opening box after box of fascinating material. What has struck me about the material among the CDs is how LITTLE of it we ever hear on R3. Here is a recording of Rubbra's Four Medieval Latin Lyrics using the same texts as the Orff Carmina Burana - but how much more delicate and intriguing is the Rubbra!! And the beautiful Spenser sonnets. Any of these would be perfect material for the Breakfast programme yet we get the same old, same old, rehashed and regurgitated week after week.
                O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                  .... we get the same old, same old, rehashed and regurgitated week after week.
                  yes, I find it odd that of the hundreds (more than six hundred, I think?) of Schubert Lieder we hear, again and again, perhaps the same dozen - and of the hundreds of Bach organ works (what, two hundred or so?) we hear, again and again, the same handful - but mostly just the one, weakest, piece, of doubtful attribution....

I love Schubert Lieder and Bach organ works. Doesn't the BBC have people of sufficient imagination and range to move away from the corny 'hundred best tunes'?

Comment

Probably no longer the knowledge, vint.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      Doesn't the BBC have people of sufficient imagination and range to move away from the corny 'hundred best tunes'?
                      It almost certainly has those with imagination(tho not in leadership positions) but the marketing dept believes that its audience doesnt have sufficient imagination and actually wants corn - preferably doused in syrup and spoon fed

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        I love Schubert Lieder and Bach organ works. Doesn't the BBC have people of sufficient imagination and range to move away from the corny 'hundred best tunes'?
                        Well, there's certainly no absolute need to do so if the target audience of 'new listeners' (presumably not even listening to R3 at the moment) don't know that they're corny old 'hundred best tunes'. (Good to see the Listen With Mother theme tune has made it to welcome them on the first morning.)
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Ah, FF, but do the compilers of this mish-mash actually KNOW it's the theme that was used for "Listen With Mother"? Somehow I suspect they don't...
                          O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

Three thoughts have occurred to me

1. Looking at that playlist, it presents for me a programme of music not worth switching on for. It would be having the radio on just for the sake of it. If I were going off to work I would probably listen to the news headlines and then turn off and get on with whatever I needed to do. Nae bother.

2.But on top of a nil interest programme of music, what for me is worse is what I perceive to be an assault on my intelligence by Radio 3, with all the chatter and 'features' - whether charts, comedians, trails, quizzes, votes, emails, phone-ins. I can't think of any repetitive music that would make me start the day feeling more miserable that I would being forced to listen to all that.

3. It seems to me that there is absolutely no need to exclude any particular audience. You don't have to have 70-minute Bruckner symphonies or the Birtwistle violin concerto at that time in the morning. Nor do you need Classic FM. You could hit a middle way in terms of length, familiarity and musical interest. My memory is that they used to do that. So where did the idea come from that it all had to be Jolly Simple? The new listeners weren't listening - so were they complaining, hammering on the door wanting to invade the neighbouring territory?

This all seems so unnecessary.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              .........the target audience of 'new listeners' (presumably not even listening to R3 at the moment)
                              I worry about the "if you say it often enough it must be true" element to the Two Nations view of Radio 3. Are there any statistics to support the claim that those who listen to Breakfast are text, talk and phone in junkies who never listen to a second of R3 after 10.00? What I hear on a fair breadth of R3 and glean on reading as many of the threads on these Boards as I can manage would suggest it might be an extreme view!?
                              Last edited by antongould; 10-09-11, 19:08.

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                                Are there any statistics to support the claim that those who listen to Breakfast are text, talk and phone in junkies who never listen to a second of R3 after 10.00?
                                No. And, in fact, Essential Classics has been designed to actually keep the breakfast listeners listening as far as possible.

But I do know people who have been switching on at 10am because they found Classical Collection tolerable and Breakfast not.

Comment

Working...
                                X