• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email from Wigmore:

Ravel Celebration Concert
    Sonata for violin and cello
    Chansons madécasses
    Piano Trio in A minor

On Friday 7 March BBC Radio 3 will celebrate Maurice Ravel, with the whole day focusing on the life and works of the French impressionist composer. This concert will be recorded for transmission on 7 March as part of the events which mark the composer’s birthday.

It seems appropriate to record three of his major chamber works at Wigmore Hall, the venue in which Ravel made his first British appearance on 26 April 1909. The Nash Ensemble has been associated with Ravel’s music for 50 years, and is joined by mezzo-soprano Clara Mouriz, a former BBC Radio 3 New Generation Artist.

Tuesday 25 February 2014 – 1:00pm

£12.50 concessions £10

Let's see how Ravel Day is done. On the cheap (usual programmes and presenters, and just Ravel instead of a variety of things. Or an imaginative schedule which makes us listen to some of these pieces afresh and tells us interesting things we didn't know.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I see that they are having problems finding people to present the programme this week: Monday and Tuesday see two different stand-ins before a run of three days with one person from Wednesday.

Comment

This will be interesting. At least 2 days with out CB-H. Which is fine by me.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
          I see that they are having problems finding people to present the programme this week: Monday and Tuesday see two different stand-ins before a run of three days with one person from Wednesday.
          Ian Skelly and Louise Fryer. I wonder if they'll be able to overcome all the obstacles militating against a decent programme?
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post

This is just not good enough! I will not tolerate any more surprise Clemmy-less Monday mornings.

Where is that woman?
            "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

Hopefully she's done the sensible thing and handed her notice in, realising how detrimental to her future career presenting the CBeebies3 Breakfast 'show' actually is.

Comment

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
                This is just not good enough! I will not tolerate any more surprise Clemmy-less Monday mornings.

Where is that woman?
                Radio, perhaps the answer to your question lies herein!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                  Preggers!!!!?!??! no! no!!! ...

aww

Comment

This should be a cause for celebration, Radio64. I think she should take the maximum amount of maternity leave to which she is entitled.

PS exactly what aspect of this news upsets you

Comment

If we have to have a 'Breakfast' programme in the present style other presenters should listen to Ian Skelly to see how it should be done.

Comment

while we have the morning sickness by proxy
                        ...... just my little joke

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                          This should be a cause for celebration, Radio64. I think she should take the maximum amount of maternity leave to which she is entitled.

PS exactly what aspect of this news upsets you
                          Well of course I'm happy for her .... and him I suppose.
                          Seems a bit of a cheek though getting preggers just after she was given the breakfast slot!

Originally posted by AndyJW View Post
                          If we have to have a 'Breakfast' programme in the present style other presenters should listen to Ian Skelly to see how it should be done.
                          I found him to be a bit dull to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                            What is striking is the shift to the presenter as the more important component of any " show". Thus this morning we had a trailer for Opera on 3 which concluded with the words "So, its Opera on 3 with me Sarah Mohr-Petsch" followed very quickly with "you're listening to Breakfast with me Clemmy Burton-Hill" and a little later "Essential Classics with Sarah Walker".
                            Yes, it's the same on TTN (just about the only bit of R3 I still listen too these days) "You're listening to Through the Night with me Jonathan Swain, thank you for your company" well a) he doesn't have our "company" 'cos he isn't there! and b) even if he were there we wouldn't be listening to it with him as he's not listening to it, he's presenting it!

Interestingly, a few weeks ago it was presented by Catriona Young and I didn't hear any such nonsense, a much better style of presentation.

Frankly, I couldn't give a fish's t*t who the presenter is, I'm not interested in their journey to work, whether they have a cold or what they have for breakfast!
                            Just put the disc in the slot, tell us what it is and press "play"
                            I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Comment

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
                              Seems a bit of a cheek though getting preggers just after she was given the breakfast slot!
                              She's by no means unique in this respect - think (not on R3 of course) such high-profile signings as Stephanie Flanders and Natasha Kaplinsky.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                                That's what comes of no one reading the R3 blog, except kleines c.

Comment

Working...
                                X