X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Oldcrofter View Post
    Which of the likely ladies did the listener opt for, Bax - Lady Mary or Helen Jessie - who inspired Elgar's nostalgic throbbing engine ?
    Helen Jessie? Surely Hielan Jessie, a famous Glasgow pub.

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
      Helen Jessie? Surely Hielan Jessie, a famous Glasgow pub.
      Aye. Just alang frae Poosie Nancy's!

Comment

• Oldcrofter
        • Dec 2010

Och aye, maybe Eddie Elgar had wee throbbing encounter wi' Hielan Jessie and set it to music ?

Comment

• Zucchini
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
          One has to ask how it is that a R3 presenter had to be told by a listener that there was a connection between Mendelssohn's "Calm Sea and Prosperous Voyage" and Elgar's "Enigma Variations".
          How supercilious. There may even be things you don't know. To keep the nautical theme, try these:

(a) How many passengers were on the Titanic? (b) What were their names?

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
            How supercilious. There may even be things you don't know.[/I]
            Though, to be fair, this particular presenter doesn't really know much at all about classical music: she's an experienced BBC presenter who lives not too far away from Salford.

A bit of research into the Goethe poems would have also filled a knowledge gap.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Though, to be fair, this particular presenter doesn't really know much at all about classical music: she's an experienced BBC presenter who lives not too far away from Salford.
              I was born in Salford and Barbirolli lived there. Not all its residents are musical nincompoops.

Comment

• AndyJW
                • Jan 2011

'Clemmy' at the start of the programme did refer to him as a much loved jazz trumpeter!!
                Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
                Acker Bilk!

RIP...

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  I was born in Salford and Barbirolli lived there. Not all its residents are musical nincompoops.
                  I was referring to the fact that the programme is broadcast from Salford at the weekend, which is not very convenient for a presenter who lives in London! Hence we are getting several northern-based presenters, rather than R3 regulars, to do weekend duty
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AndyJW View Post
                    'Clemmy' at the start of the programme did refer to him as a much loved jazz trumpeter!!
                    Oh dear! Clemmy isn't from Salford either.

Comment

• Oldcrofter
                      • Dec 2010

Is that 'supercilious' as in 'super silly ass', Zucchini ? (4714)

As Bax probably knows, they talk of little else in Salford - not that she ever knew anything - Little Else, I mean.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by AndyJW View Post
                        Yes, oh dear. The opening announcement was Ravel's Miroirs but the first note and a half were the recognisable tones of Stranger on the Shore which abruptly ceased - 'a tantalising slither of Acker Bilk's trumpet ...' Engagingly, the playlist has recorded the first item as being Stranger on the Shore - all 2 seconds of it. As they played it later in the programme, I did wonder why they were playing it twice.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                          How supercilious. There may even be things you don't know. To keep the nautical theme, try these:

(a) How many passengers were on the Titanic? (b) What were their names?
                          If I was being paid taxpayer's money to present a programme on the Titanic I'd sure as hell do some research and A) know the figure and B) have the reference work to hand to be able to name them.
                          O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            I was referring to the fact that the programme is broadcast from Salford at the weekend, which is not very convenient for a presenter who lives in London! Hence we are getting several northern-based presenters, rather than R3 regulars, to do weekend duty
                            Have they stopped enforcing Martin Handley to travel from Kent up to Salford for the weekend then? I thought I heard him a couple of weekends ago and the impression I got was that he was broadcasting from London on that particular occasion.
                            O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post
                              Have they stopped enforcing Martin Handley to travel from Kent up to Salford for the weekend then? I thought I heard him a couple of weekends ago and the impression I got was that he was broadcasting from London on that particular occasion.
                              They may make exceptions for valued presenters ... On one of my rare expeditions to Breakfast I certainly caught a reference to 'down in London'.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

I had to smile the other day when during a quiz one of the presenters, I'm not sure which one it was, said the Is-Ley Brothers for the Isley Brothers. Clearly she does not know much about Tamla Motown. Another time on Classic FM some time ago its resident Beethoven expert and ex-newsreader said he hadn't heard of Sir John Stainer; but why should I be surprised.
                                Last edited by Stanfordian; 12-11-14, 14:52.

Comment

Working...
                                X