Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
    ....not so much actually as my GP practise in their castle with portcullis down and draw-bridge up....
    Mine has an outgoing telephone message, before the bit about which buttons to push, saying how overwhelmed they are with enquiries and begging for patience [sic] and polteness to their staff: fair enough. I simply game the system, am invariably super polite with their staff, hang up when the system tells me I'm no 15 in the queue, but sometimes grit my teeth and hang on: thus seem to be able to get what I want/need. I think they do magnificently - and try to remember to say that whenever possible.

I'm curious why they're overwhelmed - the main reason I believe is that intensive new house-building round here has led to a huge increase in their patient numbers, without, of course, a concomitant increase in funding. I also wonder whether Covid-n-lockdown has simply increased a general level of anxiety in folk, so that they are less reliant than in pre-pandemic years on good ol' common sense and grandma's nostrums.

Comment

I think you're right there, kernelbogey, and I applaud your response to the problem. This February I was iller than at any previous time in my life, but it never occurred to me to go to the doctor, despite their being only a five-minute walk away, perhaps because I felt it would be more trouble than it was worth.

Comment

I wonder what percentage of the breakfast programme is nothing to do with the music.

Comment

Originally posted by Kernow Malc View Post
          I wonder what percentage of the breakfast programme is nothing to do with the music.
          We used to calculate the figures on that years ago. From what people say (and also enjoy, apparently) it gets to be more like a magazine programme than a music programme. Correct me if I'm wrong someone
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

We used to calculate the figures on that years ago. From what people say (and also enjoy, apparently) it gets to be more like a magazine programme than a music programme. Correct me if I'm wrong someone
            I like the we …. Closer to me …..
            This week is a special Petroc wander but normally I see no real difference in the “moans” of years gone, sadly, by ……

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post

This week is a special Petroc wander but normally I see no real difference in the “moans” of years gone, sadly, by ……
              But the moans have been going on since Breakfast began in 2007 when, if I remember, you were Waking up to Wogan.

And

Not sure what that means. 'We' meant FoR3. I don't think you were involved unless by 'closer to me', you meant me not you?​
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Breakfast did get worse, and became impossible. However the worst bits were gradually ditched, and quite some time ago now it settled down....
                i don't listen everyday, but my subjective impression is that (a) Petroc is a good 'central' presenter with much experience; and (b) that distractions like tweets (Xs? ) are no longer promoted (except possibly on Saturdays - how would I know? ); and (c) the presenters alongside Petroc when he's absent are musically well-informed; and (d) producers are coming up with interesting pieces, and composers, that are totally new to me. All that said I'm a devotee of Sunday Breakfast with Martin (see a-d above passim).

Comment

But the moans have been going on since Breakfast began in 2007 when, if I remember, you were Waking up to Wogan.

And

Not sure what that means. 'We' meant FoR3. I don't think you were involved unless by 'closer to me', you meant me not you?​
                  Yes expressed appalling …. I meant I - then Young and Keen, did a fair bit of analysis ……

Yes I was a TOG way back then ….. and have made the journey to R3 ….. perhaps I should be a focus group …..

Comment

Yes expressed appalling …. I meant I - then Young and Keen, did a fair bit of analysis ……

Yes I was a TOG way back then ….. and have made the journey to R3 ….. perhaps I should be a focus group …..
                    I think the FoR3 analysis started fairly soon into the new millennium. This was about the time when I felt it was still 'serious' (perhaps you would think that it's better now, but who knows?):

Comment

appalling ….
                      Saturday morning looks even more unlistenable-to than normal… which was already ‘completely’…
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Saturday morning looks even more unlistenable-to than normal… which was already ‘completely’…
                        To adapt an old joke, you could record it and play it back while you're out.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                          To adapt an old joke, you could record it and play it back while you're out.
                          What a brilliant idea kernelbogey.
                          How about also including "Ultimate Calm" with Ólafur Arnalds & "Happy Harmonies" with Laufey, (both repeats of drivel.)

I think the FoR3 analysis started fairly soon into the new millennium. This was about the time when I felt it was still 'serious' (perhaps you would think that it's better now, but who knows?):
                          https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedule...ree/2000-07-14
                          I'd happily listen to most of that R3 schedule - do you have a time machine going spare?

Comment

Gosh Look at how far you have come Anton....not just a few millimetres on the radio dial, not just a few digits of auto-tune....no, you have spanned a sweep of modern popular culture to a golden castle on a hill where ethereal angels do sing and play harps....aaawhh, it must be a long way down when you look now....is it possible that even HS2 will reach near to you some day....
                            bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post

Gosh Look at how far you have come Anton....not just a few millimetres on the radio dial, not just a few digits of auto-tune....no, you have spanned a sweep of modern popular culture to a golden castle on a hill where ethereal angels do sing and play harps....aaawhh, it must be a long way down when you look now....is it possible that even HS2 will reach near to you some day....
                              Brilliant as always 8o …… unlikely to get HS2 though we only got 3G last week ….

Comment

though we only got 3G last week ….
                                Ahhhhh...

...here we dream of 3G, or even a phone signal!

Comment

Working...
                                X