Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Saturday's version is not the best from that point of view. The weekday ones are less infected (but sadly intrusion and irrelevance creep is occurring) and this week Petroc was in Bristol Thursday and Friday. I was only able to catch a couple of short bits unfortunately but it seemed he was talking to people involved with the cultural life of the city.
    Petroc was reporting on and from the annual conference of the Association of British Orchestras and the recent reopening of the Bristol Beacon (formerly the Colston Hall).

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Petroc was reporting on and from the annual conference of the Association of British Orchestras and the recent reopening of the Bristol Beacon (formerly the Colston Hall).
      That might have been a subject for Music Matters. I can't see that it was a good fit for Breakfast (not that my opinion is worth anything but it might have been worth a more searching coverage than Breakfast would allow).
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

Almost certainly a consequence of Brexit....
        of course kb should have realised

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

That might have been a subject for Music Matters. I can't see that it was a good fit for Breakfast (not that my opinion is worth anything but it might have been worth a more searching coverage than Breakfast would allow).
          But it wasn't going to get it was it? So might as well let Breakfast listeners have the benefit of something a bit different from the usual fare, instead of ignoring it completely. Some of them, shock horror, might also be Music Matters listeners and therefore might be able to follow up what they heard in the inferior(!) programme if it was not something they already knew about.
          Petroc is very good, in my opinion, at these free-range episodes, interested in the people he encounters and a good interviewer; it was a pity I couldn't listen properly. It's not something which Essential Classic does, although arguably, given its level of duplication of the Breakfast format, it would be a good use of the time slot.

Comment

But it wasn't going to get it was it? So might as well let Breakfast listeners have the benefit of something a bit different from the usual fare, instead of ignoring it completely. Some of them, shock horror, might also be Music Matters listeners and therefore might be able to follow up what they heard in the inferior(!) programme if it was not something they already knew about.
            Petroc is very good, in my opinion, at these free-range episodes, interested in the people he encounters and a good interviewer; it was a pity I couldn't listen properly. It's not something which Essential Classic does, although arguably, given its level of duplication of the Breakfast format, it would be a good use of the time slot.

Comment

But it wasn't going to get it was it?
              No, but constructive criticism is better than just griping, isn't it? (Not that anyone was griping over this: I'm just speaking generally )

So might as well let Breakfast listeners have the benefit of something a bit different from the usual fare, instead of ignoring it completely.
              But given the R3 rationale for trivialising the content of Breakfast - people getting ready to go to work/take the children to school/make packed lunches or whatever - I can't see that such listeners will be concentrating on such an item. The retired gentry may have the time to listen over their muesli or devilled kidneys, but they are also the ones who would have the time to sit and listen to pieces of music that lasted longer than 6 minutes, and those regularly punctuated with trails, chat and other lovesome features. The broadcasters' arguments don't stack up.

That was Petroc's backgound - arts journalism. It is his strong point. Give him a slot on EC.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

But given the R3 rationale for trivialising the content of Breakfast - people getting ready to go to work/take the children to school/make packed lunches or whatever - I can't see that such listeners will be concentrating on such an item. The retired gentry may have the time to listen over their muesli or devilled kidneys, but they are also the ones who would have the time to sit and listen to pieces of music that lasted longer than 6 minutes, and those regularly punctuated with trails, chat and other lovesome features. The broadcasters' arguments don't stack up.

Give him a slot on EC.
                It wasn't just a single item, and the Bristol focus was over two days - although I don't know if the subject matter was the same over both days.
                And no - I prefer him to be on Breakfast, and then take or leave EC!

Comment

It wasn't just a single item, and the Bristol focus was over two days - although I don't know if the subject matter was the same over both days.
                  I'd need to listen to all the material to be able to make a 'constructive' suggestion Why bother? a small voice in my head says ).

And no - I prefer him to be on Breakfast, and then take or leave EC!
                  Well EC itself would need to change - among a number of other things. But R3 will go to hell in its chosen handcart, no doubt ...

Comment

That was Petroc's backgound - arts journalism. It is his strong point. Give him a slot on EC.
                    Are you saying take him off Breakfast and give him 17 minutes on EC ….. surely not ….. ?????

Comment

I think the core problem is that Radio 3 is run by not very bright people. Nobody with any brains wants to play modern management games to get into positions of influence.

Comment

Originally posted by Kernow Malc View Post
                        I think the core problem is that Radio 3 is run by not very bright people. Nobody with any brains wants to play modern management games to get into positions of influence.
                        It’s probably got the brightest cohort of graduates of any section of the BBC ( with the exception on the graduate only engineering department). The problem is the BBC is full of very bright people trying to guess what people who are less bright than them want to watch or listen to and , in my view , underestimating their tastes and intellectual ability, There is also I have to say within broadcasting generally a lot of cynicism “ we know it’s cobblers but that’s what they want. “ I don’t think that’s a phrase you would hear much in R3.

Comment

Martin Handley seemed to be in valedictory mood at times this morning, referring to 'recordings of' bells over the years' at one point and 'the next couple of months' at another..

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

It’s probably got the brightest cohort of graduates of any section of the BBC ( with the exception on the graduate only engineering department). The problem is the BBC is full of very bright people trying to guess what people who are less bright than them want to watch or listen to and , in my view , underestimating their tastes and intellectual ability, There is also I have to say within broadcasting generally a lot of cynicism “ we know it’s cobblers but that’s what they want. “ I don’t think that’s a phrase you would hear much in R3.
                            Yes- there is certainly a lot of that, I suspect. Not very bright of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                              The problem is the BBC is full of very bright people trying to guess what people who are less bright than them want to watch or listen to and , in my view , underestimating their tastes and intellectual ability, There is also I have to say within broadcasting generally a lot of cynicism “ we know it’s cobblers but that’s what they want. “ I don’t think that’s a phrase you would hear much in R3.
                              Definitely the problem with R3. As I've said millions of times as far as R3 is concerned, it shouldn't be about 'what people want to listen to'. It should be what Radio 3 is for and therefore what it should broadcast. I'd be interested to know if I'm a lone voice in expressing this view ?

Classic FM and Scala Radio broadcast 'classical music' if people have no other criterion. And stop talking about presenters!!!! (unless they're awful). I throw down the gauntlet.

Comment

Definitely the problem with R3. As I've said millions of times as far as R3 is concerned, it shouldn't be about 'what people want to listen to'. It should be what Radio 3 is for and therefore what it should broadcast. I'd be interested to know if I'm a lone voice in expressing this view ?

Classic FM and Scala Radio broadcast 'classical music' if people have no other criterion. And stop talking about presenters!!!! (unless they're awful). I throw down the gauntlet.
                                By no means!

Comment

Working...
                                X