Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

Well I’m a straw man or rather proof that’s is not a straw man argument! I Iistened to HVK and the VPO doing Mahler 9 on the 10.15 train to Paddington followed by the BAL recommendation of Bruckner 8 Tennstedt /LPO . At the same time Mrs H listened to the Solti Elektra in prep for that night’s performance.
    If Radio 3 did a Mahler / Bruckner symphony every morning till doomsday I’d be ecstatic - happier indeed than listening to Georgia M and the saga of her producer’s earrings which took up part of todays offerings.
    You must be the one referred to in the (What no one?) query so that doesn't refute the straw man claim! By 10.15 you're in the ambit of Essential Classics. I imagine that the majority of listeners to Breakfast are doing as claimed: busily (or not) getting ready to cope with their day. But that is hardly a reason for serving up what they do. There will always be some who have no complaint.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

You must be the one referred to in the (What no one?) query so that doesn't refute the straw man claim! By 10.15 you're in the ambit of Essential Classics. I imagine that the majority of listeners to Breakfast are doing as claimed: busily (or not) getting ready to cope with their day. But that is hardly a reason for serving up what they do. There will always be some who have no complaint.
      Equally happy with Mahler / Bruckner during Breakfast. In terms of music played there’s very little difference between that and EC - which is part of the problem . There’s nothing distinctive about them (to use that tedious BBC phrase ) other than the presenters.

Comment

The scherzo of Bruckner's 7th symphony is quite a regular on Breakfast. As LMcD has said, it's a shame that the same old bits get trotted out ad nauseam. The last movement of Saint-Saëns Symphony No.3 is another one. But if R3 is following the CFM style a limited playlist is part of it. I don't think Breakfast is quite that bad yet as there are sometimes some unusual and interesting pieces played.

I should add, having mentioned Mahler and Bruckner symphonies at breakfast time and been upbraided for offering a straw man argument, that I was only giving an extreme example in response to LMcD's point about being in the mood for different musical experiences at different times of the day. I rest my case, M'Lud.

Comment

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
          I should add, having mentioned Mahler and Bruckner symphonies at breakfast time and been upbraided for offering a straw man argument, that I was only giving an extreme example in response to LMcD's point about being in the mood for different musical experiences at different times of the day. I rest my case, M'Lud.
          Point taken, and no offence intended . Speaking of an 'extreme example', though, answers the straw man fallacy by offering an "exaggerated answer" to an argument which may (or may not!) be quite mild moderate.

"I really can't stand all the short scrappy pieces." "Well, I can't stand Bruckner or Mahler symphonies at that time in the morning."
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Point taken, and no offence intended .
            And none taken

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

They could always play a Mahler or Bruckner symphony with trails between movements, I suppose.
              You mean the Beeb edition to add to all the others?

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

You mean the Beeb edition to add to all the others?
                Why not trail the following day's Breakfast Bruckner symphony and ask listeners to vote for which version they would prefer?

Comment

Taking a cue from 'Afternoon Concert' they could play a Bruckner symphony in bits over a whole week.

Comment

Oh please, now they'll adopt your suggestion, and even play Barry Manilow betweeen the movements.

Comment

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                      Taking a cue from 'Afternoon Concert' they could play a Bruckner symphony in bits over a whole week.
                      ... at the end of which I'd be in bits!

Comment

What dear listeners has become of #CroissantCorner …… ??????

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                          What dear listeners has become of #CroissantCorner …… ??????
                          Almost certainly a consequence of Brexit....
                          Last edited by kernelbogey; 27-01-24, 13:00.

Comment

I - exceptionally - listened to a bit of Breakfast this morning, and found myself reflecting, hearing the music for The Traitors tv programme and EA withering on about the tv show, that R3 programmes have drifted inexorably towards a focus on the presenter and their witterings.... The model seems to be the Ken Bruce R2 show, which I had dipped into occasionally before he left/was 'let go'.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                              I - exceptionally - listened to a bit of Breakfast this morning, and found myself reflecting, hearing the music for The Traitors tv programme and EA withering on about the tv show, that R3 programmes have drifted inexorably towards a focus on the presenter and their witterings.... The model seems to be the Ken Bruce R2 show, which I had dipped into occasionally before he left/was 'let go'.
                              Saturday's version is not the best from that point of view. The weekday ones are less infected (but sadly intrusion and irrelevance creep is occurring) and this week Petroc was in Bristol Thursday and Friday. I was only able to catch a couple of short bits unfortunately but it seemed he was talking to people involved with the cultural life of the city.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                ...sadly intrusion and irrelevance creep is occurring...
                                My reading is that this is now policy.

Comment

Working...
                                X