Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

It's something that's been going on for a long time. ....
    Would they otherwise have broadcast the Latvian Radio Choir (Silvestrov: To Thee We Sing)​? That's the point.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
      Would they otherwise have broadcast the Latvian Radio Choir (Silvestrov: To Thee We Sing)​? That's the point.
      Quite possibly not - but then I think you get into the realms of all the music that could (and arguably should as I've said before)be played , as standard output not dependent on links or specific reasons, but isn't. It's one of my criticisms of the mess that Afternoon Concert has become, that it seems to be so limited in scope. Anything that might be outside the seemingly preferred two centuries or so has to be chopped up in various ways and distributed in small doses - rather like trying to fool a child into eating unfamiliar food.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

It's something that's been going on for a long time. I'm pretty sure I'm not misremembering that Ian Skelly for instance, before his banishment from the morning schedule, would link items to evening concert content or similar. Such a link seems reasonable to me - although additional input from an advert I would consider unnecessary - as it's all directly R3 related. Linking to TV content I find more questionable, especially when it has absolutely nothing to do with R3 content. I was going to add "or purpose" but since that seems open to differing interpretations these days better to omit it.
        It has been going on for some time but I feel, and I could be wrong here, it has increased noticeably since Lord Sh***ole moved on …….

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post

It has been going on for some time but I feel, and I could be wrong here, it has increased noticeably since Lord Sh***ole moved on …….

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
            Is this the proper place to say that I enjoy Breakfast? I find the mix and length of pieces about right, both presenters excellent and the texts, emails, newspapers and trailers no real "problem".
            Although the increasingly frequent trails are increasingly irritating, the mixture of familiar and unfamiliar musical items, arts-related news items, birthday and anniversary celebrations and obituaries on weekday editions is otherwise just what I need over the first few hours of the day. Unfortunately, things generally start going downhill from 0900, the only remaining bright spot being, on occasions, the Lunchtime Concert. Am I the only person whose musical tastes and needs change as the day progresses?

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Although the increasingly frequent trails are increasingly irritating, the mixture of familiar and unfamiliar musical items, arts-related news items, birthday and anniversary celebrations and obituaries on weekday editions is otherwise just what I need over the first few hours of the day. Unfortunately, things generally start going downhill from 0900, the only remaining bright spot being, on occasions, the Lunchtime Concert. Am I the only person whose musical tastes and needs change as the day progresses?
              I feel much the same. If I'm at home and listening in the mornings after 9 o'clock when R3 is terrible, I switch over to YLE Klassinen where I can hear complete works with no endless chatter and ads. They often play chamber music in the mornings which I like to listen to at that time. The Breakfast hotch-potch is ok for me as I'm not really paying too much attention. I don't want a Mahler or Bruckner symphony at that early part of the day!

Comment

Originally posted by hmvman View Post

I feel much the same. If I'm at home and listening in the mornings after 9 o'clock when R3 is terrible, I switch over to YLE Klassinen where I can hear complete works with no endless chatter and ads. They often play chamber music in the mornings which I like to listen to at that time. The Breakfast hotch-potch is ok for me as I'm not really paying too much attention. I don't want a Mahler or Bruckner symphony at that early part of the day!
                They could always play a Mahler or Bruckner symphony with trails between movements, I suppose.

Comment

They could always play a Mahler or Bruckner symphony with trails between movements, I suppose.
                  Give it time....

Comment

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                    I don't want a Mahler or Bruckner symphony at that early part of the day!
                    But isn't it a straw man argument that people are asking, or secretly yearning, for 'a Mahler or Bruckner symphony at that early part of the day' or even single movements thereof? Surely something exists between the ridiculous and the ridiculous? The sublime, possibly.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

No, as I am another such person!

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

But isn't it a straw man argument that people are asking, or secretly yearning, for 'a Mahler or Bruckner symphony at that early part of the day' or even single movements thereof? Surely something exists between the ridiculous and the ridiculous? The sublime, possibly.
                        Better use of the 3 hours between 9am and midday, as I've been saying for I don't know how long.It was unlikely years ago and is now consigned to the "ain't goin' to happen" box, as Afternoon Concert has now been nobbled - the direction of travel is, sadly, obvious.

Comment

I must admit that, having never heard the expression 'straw man argument', I had to look it up and then failed to understand either the explanation or the accompanying example (involving a school pupil, a teacher and parents). Anyway - I have no idea whether somebody out there is secretly yearning for a Mahler or Bruckner symphony for breakfast or before lunch, but I seem to recall that CD Masters usually ended with something pretty substantial and I usually found that pretty digestible.
                          While on the subject of single movements, if we must have them could programme planners, schedulers or whatever they're called PLEASE give the Adagietto from Mahler's 5th a rest? How about giving the Andante from the 6th an occasional airing?

Comment

I must admit that, having never heard the expression 'straw man argument', I had to look it up and then failed to understand either the explanation or the accompanying example
                            In general it refers to opposing an argument/accusation which has never been made. No one (what no one?) is suggesting that they want to hear a Mahler or Bruckner symphony on Breakfast, so saying that you don't want to hear that (especially to defend a point of view) is a 'straw man' - easily blown over, I presume.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

In general it refers to opposing an argument/accusation which has never been made. No one (what no one?) is suggesting that they want to hear a Mahler or Bruckner symphony on Breakfast, so saying that you don't want to hear that (especially to defend a point of view) is a 'straw man' - easily blown over, I presume.
                              Thank you! ('Every day I learn, Mr Fawlty').

Comment

Well I’m a straw man or rather proof that’s is not a straw man argument! I Iistened to HVK and the VPO doing Mahler 9 on the 10.15 train to Paddington followed by the BAL recommendation of Bruckner 8 Tennstedt /LPO . At the same time Mrs H listened to the Solti Elektra in prep for that night’s performance.
                                If Radio 3 did a Mahler / Bruckner symphony every morning till doomsday I’d be ecstatic - happier indeed than listening to Georgia M and the saga of her producer’s earrings which took up part of todays offerings.

Comment

Working...
                                X