No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... well, he is 72

Is he really ? Amazing I thought he was in his fifties. It sounds like he is still keeping his hand in though which is good news.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Yes, he is and he will be! However, IMHO we could have been landed with a much less agreeable replacement than Tom McKinney.
      Martin's 'watch this space' was clearly a hint that he's not going to be limited to introducing live concerts.
      I have enjoyed Tom McK's turns on the likes of Essential Classics, so am hoping he will make a good successor to MH, who will be a hard act to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
        A suitably nostalgic Sunday Breakfast from Martin Handley, presenting his last programme after twenty years on weekend Breakfast. He reviewed musical mileposts in his life and was clearly in a sentimental mood, which I thought appropriate. He's long been one of my favourite R3 presenters and my own Sunday mornings won't be the same.

Thank you, Martin, for all the music and for all your entertaining and informative scripts.
        Entirely agree (except I never listened to it on Sunday morning! )

I think I’ll be taking his cue to bow out of the Breakfast prog altogether now - the trailer sabotage has become too annoying, though MH and his team’s way with the rest of the Sunday programme made it worthwhile.

Time to skip Breakfast now…
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Probably already asked and answered somewhere in this thread.....
          Is Martin any relation of conductor Vernon (Tod)?

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            Probably already asked and answered somewhere in this thread.....
            Is Martin any relation of conductor Vernon (Tod)?
            I thought he was but I think my only source was this forum . There is no mention of him in Vernon’s obits nor of Vernon in Martin’s biogs . Also if Martin is 72 that doesn’t tie in with any of Vernon’s three marriages the first of which was in 1954 .
            Martin had a very extensive conducting career that I wasn’t aware of.
            Last edited by Ein Heldenleben; 31-03-24, 20:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

I thought he was but I think my only source was this forum . There is no mention of him in Vernon’s obits not of Vernon in Martin’s biogs . Also if Martin is 72 that doesn’t tie in with any of Vernon’s three marriages the first of which was in 1954 .
              Martin had a very extensive conducting career that I wasn’t aware of.
              I believe he actually answered this question on air some time ago and, if memory serves, the answer was 'no'.
              (He's probably also not related to ITMA star Tommy either. )
              Last edited by LMcD; 31-03-24, 17:29.

Comment

I thought he was but I think my only source was this forum . There is no mention of him in Vernon’s obits not of Vernon in Martin’s biogs .,.
                EH - can you give any information about MH's blogs? Can't find any trace....

Comment

I believe he actually answered this question on air some time ago and, if memory serves, the answer was 'no'.
                  Correct
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Indeed- Martin is a fine broadcaster who will be much missed.
                    Also a cause for great regret is that fact that his producer Tony is leaving at the same time, in fact leaving the BBC.

I’ve always sensed that he is at least as responsible for the class of Sunday Breakfast… were he staying, it would be a reason for optimism. But understandably, they have dovetailed their departures…

… a double blow, imho
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

EH - can you give any information about MH's blogs? Can't find any trace....
                      Apologies but if you look closely it’s Biogs short for biography…
                      It’s the one written by his agent.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Also a cause for great regret is that fact that his producer Tony is leaving at the same time, in fact leaving the BBC.

I’ve always sensed that he is at least as responsible for the class of Sunday Breakfast… were he staying, it would be a reason for optimism. But understandably, they have dovetailed their departures…

… a double blow, imho
                        interesting - yes acute observation : the producer must have had such a big role to play. I’ve noticed how often the R3 presenters credit their producer which is jolly decent of them.

Comment

(He's probably also not related to ITMA star Tommy either. )
                          No but Jenny Handley the former ITV Magpie presenter was Tommy’s daughter.

Comment

Apologies but if you look closely it’s Biogs short for biography…
                            It’s the one written by his agent.
                            Oops - thanks.

Comment

Oops - thanks.
                              KB - you're not the only one who read it as blogs...

...I access the forum on a smartphone and it can be difficult to read in some fonts.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

KB - you're not the only one who read it as blogs
                                Indeed you weren't!

Comment

Working...
                                X