• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leinster Lass
    Banned
    • Oct 2020

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    That would only apply to luncheon vultures, though...

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      We have gull-proof bins too. I think the problem is that there are still people who think it's right to feed them, despite all the notices urging us not to.
      They are intelligent birds. They’ll get the food whether you feed them or not. Believe it or not people regularly feed the gulls and pigeons in our park . If you think Scarborough is bad try St Ives - forget about eating a pasty or ice cream on the seafront .It’ll be gone in seconds .The consequences can be seen on car roofs throughout the town.

Comment

• hmvman
        • Mar 2007

Wasn't David Cameron going to have a 'big conversation' about seagulls - and has anyone heard it?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
          The consequences can be seen on car roofs throughout the town.
          Vanilla ice cream?

A visit to Trafalgar Square would suggest that after a time, city pigeons (at least) decide to quit a location where people once fed them, thereby justifying the order not to feed them. When feeding the pigeons was on the regular tourist itinerary, you almost couldn't walk across the square without treading on or tripping over them.

Comment

• Edgy 2
            • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
            They are intelligent birds. They’ll get the food whether you feed them or not. Believe it or not people regularly feed the gulls and pigeons in our park . If you think Scarborough is bad try St Ives - forget about eating a pasty or ice cream on the seafront .It’ll be gone in seconds .The consequences can be seen on car roofs throughout the town.
            “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
              Didn’t go for their pasties though - shows how intelligent and discerning they are!

Comment

• Edgy 2
                • Jan 2019

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                Didn’t go for their pasties though - shows how intelligent and discerning they are!
                “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  The lights for triggering the doors opening must be at ground level...

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    The lights for triggering the doors opening must be at ground level...
                    Or other movement sensors, perhaps.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Missing my fix of Sunday Breakfast with Martin this morning. Fllled with a generous seasonal spirit, I decided to try the programme with his locum, but could stand only about twenty minutes: so many sentences beginning with 'Well...' ('Well you're listening to Radio Three Breakfast') and that infuriating playschool leader intonation.... I've actually opted for silence for the next two hours.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                        I've actually opted for silence for the next two hours.
                        I enjoy that every morning - and have done for the past few years. It's not so bad I may not know what I'm missing (good as well as awful), but 'Where ignorance is bliss …'.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                          Missing my fix of Sunday Breakfast with Martin this morning. Fllled with a generous seasonal spirit, I decided to try the programme with his locum, but could stand only about twenty minutes: so many sentences beginning with 'Well...' ('Well you're listening to Radio Three Breakfast') and that infuriating playschool leader intonation.... I've actually opted for silence for the next two hours.
                          Erm...EBU Christmas broadcasts from 9-00am on?

Comment

• Sir Velo
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            I enjoy that every morning - and have done for the past few years. It's not so bad I may not know what I'm missing (good as well as awful), but 'Where ignorance is bliss …'.
                            Alternatively, why not listen to your own collection or one of the streaming services where a myriad recordings are there to satisfy every taste? Qobuz and Spotify et al offer curated (sic) playlists which take away the overwhelming burden of choice.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                              Erm...EBU Christmas broadcasts from 9-00am on?
                              So far very good - the morning 3hrs seems to be very much biased towards early music but there is a surprise in the 3rd from Montreal as included in their 'founding nations section is Traditional (Isle of Man): Usheg Veg Ruy (Little Red Bird)

The number of Manx in Canada was not I think great (most settled in Ohio from mid 1820's onwards but some did migrate north).

Luckily the presenter has to keep to a few words so much of the gush has gone.

Those interested in a late Victorian arrangement can find the music at www.manxnotebook.com/fulltext/mnm1898/p006.htm

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                                Alternatively, why not listen to your own collection or one of the streaming services where a myriad recordings are there to satisfy every taste? Qobuz and Spotify et al offer curated (sic) playlists which take away the overwhelming burden of choice.
                                I am teetering on the brink of Quobuz like a poor swimmer contemplating the deep end of the pool....

(And deterred atm by some home technical issues.)

Comment

Working...
                                X