Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    At 0630, the first item on the programme was Jorge Cardoso - Milonga for guitar, which began to sound vaguely familiar.

I think I have identified it as - perhaps - the source or model for the 1969 hit The Windmills of Your Mind. Am I right...?
    Yes, I agree. Well spotted!

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
      At 0630, the first item on the programme was Jorge Cardoso - Milonga for guitar, which began to sound vaguely familiar.

I think I have identified it as - perhaps - the source or model for the 1969 hit The Windmills of Your Mind. Am I right...?
      I think you will find that Windmills predated this piece.

Comment

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
        Thank you, rw - fascinating that I made the asssumption that I did! Cardoso turns out to be a doctor as well as a composer and performer.

Comment

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
          I couldn't find the actual date of the composition of the Milonga, but unless Cardoso was still a teenager when he penned this popular work - you are right (though actually I couldn't quite hear the similarity ).
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
            Paradoxically one of the benefits of the spring lockdown was the chance to hear the urban birdsong that’s usually hidden by road roar. This was particularly noticeable in the spring early evenings not just the dawn chorus.
            When you live near the sea, the squawking of seagulls can drive you crazy. I'm in the RSPB, so I don't mean them any harm (though I sometimes err from that noble sentiment when a seagull dives to steal a takeaway. ).

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              When you live near the sea, the squawking of seagulls can drive you crazy. I'm in the RSPB, so I don't mean them any harm (though I sometimes err from that noble sentiment when a seagull dives to steal a takeaway. ).
              I’m on the coast - ten years ago the seagull problem was terrible. Then the council introduced gull proof wheelie bins and their population fell away.

Comment

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                I’m on the coast - ten years ago the seagull problem was terrible. Then the council introduced gull proof wheelie bins and their population fell away.
                We have gull-proof bins too. I think the problem is that there are still people who think it's right to feed them, despite all the notices urging us not to.

Comment

We have gull-proof bins too. I think the problem is that there are still people who think it's right to feed them, despite all the notices urging us not to.
                  They are adept at helping themselves as well, so the problem wouldn't go away just because people didn't actively feed them.

Comment

How do "gull-proof wheelie bins" work? Do they have an automatic self-release jack-in-the-box device when touched, out of which a mechanical cat pops up?

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      How do "gull-proof wheelie bins" work? Do they have an automatic self-release jack-in-the-box device when touched, out of which a mechanical cat pops up?
                      Do you think seabirds are gullible enough not to spot that the cat's not real?

Comment

Gulls just wanna have fun....

(I'll get me coat)

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          They are adept at helping themselves as well, so the problem wouldn't go away just because people didn't actively feed them.
                          A couple of summers ago in Dartmouth one unfortunate child dropped her fish and chips in an alleyway, leaving a terrible mess that I thought would take ages to clean up. Within 30 seconds, the whole area was spotless again. The seagulls even took away the packaging.

Comment

A couple of summers ago in Dartmouth one unfortunate child dropped her fish and chips in an alleyway, leaving a terrible mess that I thought would take ages to clean up. Within 30 seconds, the whole area was spotless again. The seagulls even took away the packaging.
                            A reminder of why the drastically declining vulture populations in some countries are a major concern...

Comment

Originally posted by rathfarnhamgirl View Post
                              Do you think seabirds are gullible enough not to spot that the cat's not real?
                              That's well and truly put the cat back in the... bin!

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                A reminder of why the drastically declining vulture populations in some countries are a major concern...
                                That would only apply to luncheon vultures, though...

Comment

Working...
                                X