No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Washington, Tyne & Wear?
    No I am still, almost, welcome here .....

Comment

I sometimes feel when listening to breakfast at the weekends that music has been removed from the world. Rubbish of course. But the over-earnest veneration of silence and ‘found’ sounds seems to me to miss the point. Like so much else going on these days, black has become white, left right. I half expect the clock to chime thirteen before the news.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
        I sometimes feel when listening to breakfast at the weekends that music has been removed from the world. Rubbish of course. But the over-earnest veneration of silence and ‘found’ sounds seems to me to miss the point. Like so much else going on these days, black has become white, left right. I half expect the clock to chime thirteen before the news.
        That would be on the bells recordings section...

Comment

I half expect the clock to chime thirteen before the news.
          If you want to experience this...

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            My thumbs up was merely a preference for Martin Handley. The usual Saturday morning incumbent is intolerable. Being patronised, being yelped at and being made to listen to amateur soundscapes and a mixture of muzak is a terrible thing.
            As I broadly agree with Alpie, and also know that many others here do, I posted my 9157 at the moment that I discovered that I could, exceptionally, listen to Saturday's Breakfast and I thought others here might like the opportunity to as well.

On the whole I enjoy the Sounds of the Earth feature - though there was one New Zealand bird today whose 'song' was so monotonous that I was glad I didn't live there!

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              As I broadly agree with Alpie, and also know that many others here do, I posted my 9157 at the moment that I discovered that I could, exceptionally, listen to Saturday's Breakfast and I thought others here might like the opportunity to as well.

On the whole I enjoy the Sounds of the Earth feature - though there was one New Zealand bird today whose 'song' was so monotonous that I was glad I didn't live there!
              This could get on the nerves...https://www.xeno-canto.org/sounds/up...naua_Downs.mp3 It was one of the birds featured although not necessarily that particular 'song'
              This was another of the birds featured https://www.doc.govt.nz/globalassets...ui-song-50.mp3 sounds like experimental flute sounds.
              However monotonous some of the UK birds' calls are I would still rather have them than some of these!

Comment

... for irritation, hard to beat the well-named brainfever bird -

"This rare bird was filmed by our consultant ornithologist Chewang Bonpo who runs the fine birding and home stay property at Bon Farmhouse in Kewzing Village...

Comment

You forgot "Hat-Tenn.....SHUNN!!!" after "left right".

Comment

To hear the birdsong on a Sunday morning is pure delight. It gives one an almost inexpressible sense of calm and joy - a sense, perhaps, that however bad things may be there is always an underlying goodness waiting to be heard. I am not, in general, a fan of the new morning schedules and the vaguely neurotic hyperbole with which certain presenters introduce the music - 'I lurrv this . . . ' as one young offender never tires of telling us - but, gosh, the blackbird and the bul bul offer grace notes to our lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Bella Kemp View Post
                      To hear the birdsong on a Sunday morning is pure delight. It gives one an almost inexpressible sense of calm and joy - a sense, perhaps, that however bad things may be there is always an underlying goodness waiting to be heard. I am not, in general, a fan of the new morning schedules and the vaguely neurotic hyperbole with which certain presenters introduce the music - 'I lurrv this . . . ' as one young offender never tires of telling us - but, gosh, the blackbird and the bul bul offer grace notes to our lives.
                      Beautifully put, Bella...

I am fortunate to be able to live in a semi-rural village, and in summer can hear cattle lowing. My end-terrace cottage with its neighbours backs onto a large area of gardens, and the Spring, Summer and Autumn days are replete with birdsong of all kinds (well, no bul bul or parakeets so far).

Many are deprived of this where they live - and even more so in the months of lockdown, as I am aware from family: my son and two grandchildren were confined during the first lockdown to their first floor London flat. Many many others are even less fortunate. I find the interweaving of natural sounds and performed music a stimulating juxtaposition. (And cf Rautavaara's Cantus Arcticus,).

And, btw, the Sunday Breakfast bells feature seems to me better than the long-running Sunday bells on Radio Four, since the focus appears to be on the musicality of the sound - rather than a nerdish interest in hearing a well-executed triple-bob-whatevs.

Comment

Originally posted by Bella Kemp View Post
                        I agree abut the birdsong (although it has to be said some is more soothing than others...) but the other aspect of Sounds of the Earth I enjoy is the chance to be transported sometimes very briefly to another country and way of life as the sounds may include village and domestic activities.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                          Beautifully put, Bella...

I am fortunate to be able to live in a semi-rural village, and in summer can hear cattle lowing. My end-terrace cottage with its neighbours backs onto a large area of gardens, and the Spring, Summer and Autumn days are replete with birdsong of all kinds (well, no bul bul or parakeets so far).

Many are deprived of this where they live - and even more so in the months of lockdown, as I am aware from family: my son and two grandchildren were confined during the first lockdown to their first floor London flat. Many many others are even less fortunate. I find the interweaving of natural sounds and performed music a stimulating juxtaposition. (And cf Rautavaara's Cantus Arcticus,).

And, btw, the Sunday Breakfast bells feature seems to me better than the long-running Sunday bells on Radio Four, since the focus appears to be on the musicality of the sound - rather than a nerdish interest in hearing a well-executed triple-bob-whatevs.
                          Paradoxically one of the benefits of the spring lockdown was the chance to hear the urban birdsong that’s usually hidden by road roar. This was particularly noticeable in the spring early evenings not just the dawn chorus.

Comment

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                            Paradoxically one of the benefits of the spring lockdown was the chance to hear the urban birdsong that’s usually hidden by road roar. This was particularly noticeable in the spring early evenings not just the dawn chorus.

Comment

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                              And the birds didn't have to sing so loud? The opportunity for people to hear what modern life normally blocks for so many has been one of the positives to come from a negative situation. Birds and other wildlife started to be something routinely encountered in real life, often at close quarters, not on telly screens and at arms length, and that lends more weight to calls to protect that wildlife and the environment it needs.

Comment

At 0630, the first item on the programme was Jorge Cardoso - Milonga for guitar, which began to sound vaguely familiar.

I think I have identified it as - perhaps - the source or model for the 1969 hit The Windmills of Your Mind. Am I right...?

Comment

Working...
                                X