Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Swan View Post
    I totally agree with James. I have lost all respect for Rob Cowan and when I hear his voice I turn off the radio. He has ruined Sunday Morning as well as those weekday programs he hosts. I do not believe he has been forced and think he relishes the schlock. Twitters, tweets, texts, emails. Does not deliver reputation just drivel.

John
    What I love about these boards is the way we agree, disagree, agree to differ or just get barbed wire in our backsides. The downside, however is that Roger and the Regime still prevail and if the wind is in the Wright direction you can probably hear his demon laugh!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      What I love about these boards is the way we agree, disagree, agree to differ or just get barbed wire in our backsides. The downside, however is that Roger and the Regime still prevail and if the wind is in the Wright direction you can probably hear his demon laugh!
      I can imagine Zhdanov writing in Pravda in 1937:

"The overwhelming support we have received from the public response to the broadcasting of the premiere of Shostakovitch's Fifth Symphony fully justifies our earlier soundings after having made our earlier decision in the interests of improved audience listening figures to withdraw the two operas, "The Nose", and "Lady Macbeth of the Mtzensk Region", and having recommended to the composer withdrawing his Fourth Symphony".

Comment

Just to say the Breakfast program is doing a great job bringing people together. I have just joined this board to wallow in anti-Breakfast invective, a pleasure denied me since the closure of the old BBC boards (which were getting a bit psychotically bitter, let's be honest).

For the record, I'm for much less talk, more musical variety, more early and more contemporary music. Not too bothered about the length of pieces, I just wish they wouldn't talk as though addressing a nursery school.

So the forum is very therapeutic, but is there any evidence that anyone at the BBC reads any of this?

Comment

Originally posted by ShoveCoupler View Post
          but is there any evidence that anyone at the BBC reads any of this?
          The fact that not only nothing is ever done to address the issues raised, on this forum and elsewhere, but that if anything it is getting worse, strongly suggests that someone is.

Comment

I switched off today after the thirty or so reminders that it WAS Shakespeare's birthday. Actually, that is one ofthe few things to stick in my old mind, Sara/h's both,don't keep repeating things. It's soooo boring.

Comment

The Classic FM breakfast shows sounds highbrow nowadays in comparison - at least the finale of Bruch's First Violin Concerto is usually allowed to speak for itself !

Comment

Itlooks like another retrograde step on the Breakfast Schedule page. Nothing for today - info on past days only. I hope I've got it wrong - I don't think I have

Comment

yes I know you all hate the "your call" feature but I must say I admire SM-P's handling of it - she seems to have natural empathy with the Great British (eccentric, dotty, rambling, tedious) Public, obviously listens to what they have to say, laughs at their witticisms, asks pertinent questions, keeps them on the straight and narrow, hurries them politely.

well done SM-P

Comment

Sara Mohr-Pietsch said this morning, when introducing a Rachmaninov piece, “ Here he is with ...”. Wow, "your call" has gone beyond the grave ….

How did all this dumbed down nonsense start? A BBC commissioned survey of Radio 3 listeners whose profile didn't match the Corporation's diversity aspirations?

Comment

Originally posted by old khayyam View Post
                      I would just like to add, pertinently, to this thread, that i have indeed finally lost all desire to reach for the radio during the breakfast period. There's no more 'try it and see', no more 'it isnt always that bad', no more excuses. To even think of turning on the radio at breakfast brings audio-mental images of Pomp And Circumstance and other enforced jollities. I have been bitten too many times. I now have a Pavlovian repulsion to R3. I should have noticed the final symptoms at the weekend before last, when i found myself buying CDs of Bach and other such gentle tastes, which i already had, just so i could play them in the kitchen in the morning, and pretend it is the radio. The system works fine for me now and, you know what, i actually feel more in control of my life.
                      Well, it did end with some Rameau this morning, but I agree I have mostly given up on R3 at breakfast. Bach in the kitchen? That's the way to start the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Pegleg View Post
                        “ Here he is with ...”.
                        well the recording exists in the present which is how SM-P was able to play it

Comment

Originally posted by Pegleg View Post
                          Well, it did end with some Rameau this morning, but I agree I have mostly given up on R3 at breakfast.
                          It was on here for about 1 second - I switched on and instantly off again. I'm ashamed to say that the shout "Bloody Rodeo again! ••••s!" rent the air
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            It was on here for about 1 second - I switched on and instantly off again. I'm ashamed to say that the shout "Bloody Rodeo again! ••••s!" rent the air
                            What passion cannot Music raise and quell? Perhaps the BBC should commission another survey of R3 listeners to ensure that they are not damaging our health. Think of your blood pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                              yes I know you all hate the "your call" feature but I must say I admire SM-P's handling of it - she seems to have natural empathy with the Great British (eccentric, dotty, rambling, tedious) Public, obviously listens to what they have to say, laughs at their witticisms, asks pertinent questions, keeps them on the straight and narrow, hurries them politely.

well done SM-P
                              It's the culture shock, isn't it? If people want to be listening to music, there's little satisfaction in being able to say, 'I hate this and don't want to listen to it: but at least it's being done really well.' The same R3 listeners could say the same thing, if asked, about Radio 2's breakfast show, but they once had a real alternative to listen to.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I guess Breakfast is about to become more 'popular' - the shill is out singing its praises - probably the astroturf is drought resistant (it certainly doesn't require any intellectual nourishment)

Comment

Working...
                                X