X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    It's the culture shock, isn't it? If people want to be listening to music, there's little satisfaction in being able to say, 'I hate this and don't want to listen to it: but at least it's being done really well.' The same R3 listeners could say the same thing, if asked, about Radio 2's breakfast show, but they once had a real alternative to listen to.
    They could before Chris Evans took over!

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
      I guess Breakfast is about to become more 'popular' - the shill is out singing its praises - probably the astroturf is drought resistant (it certainly doesn't require any intellectual nourishment)
      Put me out of my ignorance!

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        I think it must be strine, cobber, referring to SM-P?

Comment

• Frances_iom
          • Mar 2007

google is usually quite a good place to start

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

They could before Chris Evans took over!
            He's getting the ratings! Which is what it's all about with the BBC these days. Hammering the opposition into the ground.

(Is The Voice any good, btw?)
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              It was on here for about 1 second - I switched on and instantly off again. I'm ashamed to say that the shout "Bloody Rodeo again! ••••s!" rent the air
              Somebody from the Aaron Copland Fund/Foundation needs to intervene and complain to the BBC before this important composer's reputation is totally ruined by R3, by continually just playing the same unrepresentative piece.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                Somebody from the Aaron Copland Fund/Foundation needs to intervene and complain to the BBC before this important composer's reputation is totally ruined by R3, by continually just playing the same unrepresentative piece.
                But when you heard it all those years ago on the Studio 2 sampler STWO 6 played by the Concert Arts Orchestra conducted by Robert Irving you thought wow thats a good one to test out my speakers!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                  • Nov 2010

I remember attending an LSO rehearsal with Copland conducting, followed by the concert at the RFH in the evening. It's the only time that I've seen a baton fly through the air and hit a member of the audience! I absolutely agree about over exposure to Rodeo and his other popular works, splendid as they are. There is so much fine music by him that never gets an airing, even though it has virtually all been recorded by the man himself, not to mention Bernstein, Tilson Thomas and Slatkin.

Comment

• Crowcatcher

I can't agree with you more about Copland's other works being being under-exposed, fortunately I have a good selection of CDs of his music.

I've just remembered that the anniversary of my stopping listening to the morning programmes follow ing a decided over-exposure of Vivaldi's 'Summer' in the fornight around the Spring equinox - no less than five playings in the half hour around 10am. (Funny how the presenters never read out the adverse comments sent to them, I must have sent dozens)

It was then that I started recording TTN and replaying it through the day. Following a letter to RW complaining about the degeneration of R3 in recent years, I received a reply from the Managing Director of R3 congratulating me on my initiative in doing so!!!!

Occasionally, quite by accident, I hear a few minutes of the morning programmes and swithch off as soon as there's a trailer or oft repeated piece - somtimes Rob isn't too bad after 11am.

Comment

• Pegleg
                      • Apr 2012

My ears pricked up this morning when SMP announced tracks of Bach's Orchestral Suite as being from a new recording by Jordi Savall, a fact she repeated after the segment.

But, AFIAK this is an Alia Vox remastering in SACD format of an original Astree recording from 1990, which has been previously re-issued on Naive.

So when is a new recording not a new recording?

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Crowcatcher View Post
                        Following a letter to RW complaining about the degeneration of R3 in recent years, I received a reply from the Managing Director of R3 congratulating me on my initiative in doing so!!!!
                        No doubt it was a personalsed non-standard reply. He probably thought you were congratulaing him on the success of his mission, and no doubt it has degerated more since!

Comment

• Panjandrum

Your Call really scraped the barrel today. Some chap wittering on about going to the RAH: "Always go with my partner during the Proms".

Other inanities included asking how peeps (sic) were going to spend MayDay. Resisting the temptation to say "as i spend every day which is a workday" we got someone phoning in to say that there would be no dancing round the maypole in their village as a far more important visitor, no less than HM Liz, would be paying them a visit.

Even SM-P sounded bored so hopefully someone will put this farrago out of our misery.
                          Last edited by Guest; 30-04-12, 10:53.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Is Breakfast now sponsored by the Daily Mail ? Sounds like it judging by the people who ring and email and text in !

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                              Your Call really scraped the barrel today. Some chap wittering on about going to the RAH: "Always go with my partner during the Proms".

Other inanities included asking how peeps (sic) were going to spend MayDay. Resisting the temptation to say "as i spend every day which is a workday" we got someone phoning in to say that there would be no dancing round the maypole in their village as a far more important visitor, no less than HM Liz, would be paying them a visit.

Even SM-P sounded bored so hopefully someone will put this farrago out of our misery.
                              Great heaven, it was awful. I wish I could share your optimism. Even the blessed MH seems to be getting sucked in at the moment. On Saturday he played the William Tell Overture. And I switched on at random in the afternoon to hear some guest presenter introducing something that turned out to be (guess what?) the William Tell Overture. For goodness' sake.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
                                Great heaven, it was awful. I wish I could share your optimism. Even the blessed MH seems to be getting sucked in at the moment. On Saturday he played the William Tell Overture. And I switched on at random in the afternoon to hear some guest presenter introducing something that turned out to be (guess what?) the William Tell Overture. For goodness' sake.
                                Hi ho Silver!

Comment

Working...
                                X