Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
    I presume congratulations are in order, as Breakfast has been declared the best arts and music programme by the VLV at their 2024 Spring Festival.
    I heard Petroc mention this at the start of today's programme, but it didn't AFAIK appear in the R3 news bulletins and hasn't appeared on the BBC website.
    (VLV = Voice of the Listener and Viewer​.). As the name of the award didn't register, and after much futile hunting, I managed to replay his remark, which, on Sounds, appeared at the end of the TTN slot....

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

I heard Petroc mention this at the start of today's programme, but it didn't AFAIK appear in the R3 news bulletins and hasn't appeared on the BBC website.
      (VLV = Voice of the Listener and Viewer​.). As the name of the award didn't register, and after much futile hunting, I managed to replay his remark, which, on Sounds, appeared at the end of the TTN slot....
      Has Mr(always switched on) Jackson splurged this triumph all over his soshul meeja feeds?

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
        Here they are (is that a specimen jar? )
        Certainly appears to have graduations on the side!

I'd be a bit pee'd off if I were presented with that

Comment

This might be of interest

Petroc's category is towards the end.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            This might be of interest

Petroc's category is towards the end.
            I was interested in Best Audio Comedy: Winner Dead Ringers which once had a sketch making fun of the populist view of Radio 3 (long pauses, solemn voices &c). Also nominated Ed Reardon's Week which once had a sketch making fun of the current Radio 3. I've just looked up the script for that - the nature of the comedy worth analysing:

"Ed Reardon is at his local police station to complain about rampant profiteering, music playing in the background:

[Radio 3: "You're listening to Drivetime Classics ... on Radio 3. And now it's time for ... Coffee time Quiz. "]

Policeman: So, if there's nothing else, sir, I wouldn't mind having a crack at the Mystery Instrument. You can win a day out at Alton Towers.

ER: Well, there is actually something else, as I'm here, Can I bring a class action against Radio 3 for cultural vandalism?

Policeman: Ooh-hoo, you can, but I'm afraid it'd fall on deaf ears in this nick. We have it on all the time. It's reduced stress levels by 42% ... [ER sotto voce Damn] You can see on the chart ...

ER (bored): Really?

[Radio 3: What is the Mystery Instrument?]

Policeman: I do believe that's a glockenspiel. Would you mind keeping an eye on the desk while I ring in?"
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              I was interested in Best Audio Comedy: Winner Dead Ringers which once had a sketch making fun of the populist view of Radio 3 (long pauses, solemn voices &c). Also nominated Ed Reardon's Week which once had a sketch making fun of the current Radio 3. I've just looked up the script for that - the nature of the comedy worth analysing:
              "Ed Reardon is at his local police station to complain about rampant profiteering, music playing in the background:
              [Radio 3: "You're listening to Drivetime Classics ... on Radio 3. And now it's time for ... Coffee time Quiz. "]
              Policeman: So, if there's nothing else, sir, I wouldn't mind having a crack at the Mystery Instrument. You can win a day out at Alton Towers.
              ER: Well, there is actually something else, as I'm here, Can I bring a class action against Radio 3 for cultural vandalism?
              Policeman: Ooh-hoo, you can, but I'm afraid it'd fall on deaf ears in this nick. We have it on all the time. It's reduced stress levels by 42% ... [ER sotto voce Damn] You can see on the chart ...
              ER (bored): Really?
              [Radio 3: What is the Mystery Instrument?]
              Policeman: I do believe that's a glockenspiel. Would you mind keeping an eye on the desk while I ring in?"

Elgar would be appropriate. Possibly this?

Comment

I must disagree with mopsus in that I felt Roy Plomley was the only DiD presenter who understood what the programme was supposed to be about: a cheerful, relaxing answer to the famous question, which was very revealing ,as a person's choice of music tells us a great deal about them.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                  I must disagree with mopsus in that I felt Roy Plomley was the only DiD presenter who understood what the programme was supposed to be about: a cheerful, relaxing answer to the famous question, which was very revealing ,as a person's choice of music tells us a great deal about them.
                  …. wrong thread, I think there, mr. s
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post

Elgar would be appropriate. Possibly this?
                    I couldn't stop myself intoning 'Gor bli-mey' at the appropriate moments!
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

So the prize winning Petroc is wandering amidst the pit heaps this year …… I will try to catch up with him and see if he can get me Skeller’s autograph …..

Comment

Originally posted by antongould View Post
                        So the prize winning Petroc is wandering amidst the pit heaps this year …… I will try to catch up with him and see if he can get me Skeller’s autograph …..
                        Carrying the cult of the personality a bit far, aren't we, Anton?

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Look on R3's Facebook and it's the battle of the Petrophiles and the Petrophobes. Disagreements about presenters are the least of Radio 3's problems. For me R3's Breakfast programme winning the award for best Music and Arts programme shows how low the bar is now.

Words and Music would have been a more serious nomination. Not that it would have won. VLV was always R4 oriented, and musically R2. But every now and again they remember that there's an R3 and lob a gong over.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Look on R3's Facebook and it's the battle of the Petrophiles and the Petrophobes. Disagreements about presenters are the least of Radio 3's problems. For me R3's Breakfast programme winning the award for best Music and Arts programme shows how low the bar is now.

Words and Music would have been a more serious nomination. Not that it would have won. VLV was always R4 oriented, and musically R2. But every now and again they remember that there's an R3 and lob a gong over.
                            Aren't Petrophobes the Just Stop Oil lot?

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

it can never go too far IMVVHO S_A …….

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Aren't Petrophobes the Just Stop Oil lot?
                                Hmm. Point taken. I toyed with Petrocphiles and Petrocphobes but didn't think they sounded so good.

Comment

Working...
                                X