• Time
  • Show
Clear All

A typical TTN choice.

Monday 14 September
    4:50 AM
    Beethoven, Ludwig van [1770 -1827]
    2 Sonatinas for mandolin: C minor WoO 43/1 and C major WoW 44/1
    Avi Avital (mandolin), Shalev Ad-El (harpsichord)
    A performance of Bach's B minor mass with Philippe Herreweghe and Collegium Vocale Gent.

Comment

Tonight's looks promising.

Comment

Thank you, Bryn‼

The performers include William Christie (harpsichord). Interesting.

Comment

And at the end of the night we get:

6:12 AM
          Bach, Carl Philipp Emanuel (1714-1788)
          Quartet No.1 in A minor
          Les Adieux - Andreas Staier (fortepiano), Wilbert Hazelzet (flute), Hajo Bäß (viola)

Comment

Catriona Young is solid.

She deserves a daytime slot!

Comment

5:05 AM
              Liszt, Franz (1811-1886)
              Mephisto waltz no. 1 (S.514)
              Khatia Buniatishvili (Piano)
              on the morning of November 7th is worth hearing. Khatia Buniatishvili is very good.

I do wonder about the end, though!

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
                It's edited for EBU members by a small BBC team in London. In a number of other countries, it's called 'Notturno'. Surprisingly perhaps, I have seen postings in the past which seemed to assume that the announcements are made live...
                When I discovered that TTN was recorded during daytime time hours I was a tad dissapointed although deep down I knew that it was.

Comment

On a road trip over the last couple of days, a TTN downloaded on the 24/25 December 2012 featured in the car - Christmas from Paris and Prague: really delightful, interesting to hear a French choristers tackling RVW, Finzi and Britten (the Ceremony of Carols especially successful, and also the Cavaillé-Coll organ of Ste Clotilde gorgeous in the 'instrumental' part of the Finzi). And cracking Zelenka performance too... followed by a wonderful Brahms quartet with the Kungsbackas and Laurence Power. A real treat, glad I kept it!
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Ancient and Modern: Monday 11 January

John Shea presents a concert of music from the Laudario di Cortona manuscript by Ars Nova Copenhagen and conductor Paul Hillier.

12:31 AM
                    Laudario di Cortona / Anonymous / Laudario di Cortona
                    Venite a laudare; Beata viscera; Laude novella sia cantata

Power, Leonel (c.1370-1445) / Laudario di Cortona / Anonymous (English) / Laudario di Cortona
                    Gloria; Oimè lasso e freddo lo mio core; Doleo super te / Absalon fili mi; Sia Laudato San Francesco

Anonymous (English) / Laudario di Cortona
                    Thomas gemma Cantuarie / Thomas cesus in Doveria; Cantico del Sole - Sun Song

Janjgava, Nino (b.1964) / Tavener, John (1944-2013) / Janjgava, Nino (b.1964) / Pärt, Arvo (b.1935)
                    Alleluias 1, 5 and 11, from 'Seventeen Alleluias, Op.44'; The Lamb; Alleluias 7 and 8, from 'Seventeen Alleluias, Op.44'; Bogoróditse Dyévo Ráduisya

Janjgava, Nino (b.1964) / Tavener, John (1944-2013) / Janjgava, Nino (b.1964)
                    Alleluias 3 and 4, from 'Seventeen Alleluias, Op.44'; Funeral Ikos; Alleluias 2 and 6, from 'Seventeen Alleluias, Op.44'

Pärt, Arvo (b.1935)
                    Two Slavonic Hymns

Comment

This:

5:01 AM
                      Tallis, Thomas (c.1505-1585)
                      Spem in Alium, for 40 voices
                      BBC Singers, Stephen Cleobury (conductor)

is happening as I type, and is one of the worst performances of anything I've ever heard on the radio.

I missed the announcement at the start, and so looked online, expecting it to be some Russian choir making an early stab at Tallis in the 1950s, or some equally strange recording. But no.

"...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

and is one of the worst performances of anything I've ever heard on the radio.
                        Well, after that big build-up, I just had to have a listen. Sadly it's as you say. I always have the big question, 'WHY' in my head afterwards.

Comment

I very much enjoyed the lieder concert given by Hana Blažíková and Andreas Staier in Poland and broadcast on TtN yesterday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07178px

Though Ms Blažíková has previously been best known for her performances of Baroque and earlier music, this concert was of works from the first part of the C19. The Schumann Liederkreis op 39 was very good, but I was also interested in the songs by Tomásek, a composer of whom I was completely ignorant. His songs in this programme were contemporaneous with those of the younger Schubert, and apparently Tomásek's Goethe settings were much more to the poet's liking than those of Schubert (perhaps because they were less dramatic and daring). Anyway, it's prompted me to seek out recordings of Tomásek's lieder settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            This:

5:01 AM
                            Tallis, Thomas (c.1505-1585)
                            Spem in Alium, for 40 voices
                            BBC Singers, Stephen Cleobury (conductor)

is happening as I type, and is one of the worst performances of anything I've ever heard on the radio.

I missed the announcement at the start, and so looked online, expecting it to be some Russian choir making an early stab at Tallis in the 1950s, or some equally strange recording. But no.

Hiya Caliban,

Are the BBC Singers still the only full time professional choir in the UK? If they are one expects better.
                            Last edited by Stanfordian; 04-04-16, 13:08.

Comment

Through the Night: Tuesday (tonight)

Apologies for the double-posting but I think this is worth an extra noise (it’s only once a year ).

Six hours of music composed by women all recorded live (so I assume).

To celebrate International Women's Day, Catriona Young presents music by women through the ages.

On International Women's Day, Catriona Young presents music by women through the ages.
                              Last edited by doversoul1; 07-03-16, 17:25.

Comment

Anyone catch the Max Gregor[sic] last night.*

* See "Music Played" list further down the page lined to, rather than the initial listing.

Comment

Working...
                                X