Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
    Terrific Verdi Requiem from the first night of the 1922 Proms
    I was hoping for Henry Wood

Thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
      I was hoping for Henry Wood

Thanks for the recommendation.

Had it been 1922 your wish would have been fulfilled. Note the highly popular programme of short pieces

Prom 01 - First Night of the Proms 1922
      Queen's Hall
      Programme
      Unknown
      National Anthem
      Otto Nicolai
      Die lustigen Weiber von Windsor
      Overture
      Jacques Arcadelt
      Ave Maria (orch. Henry Wood)
      Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
      Eugene Onegin
      Aria 'Puskay pogibnu ya' Act 1 Scene 2
      Joaquín Turina
      Danzas fantásticas, Op 22
      Proms premiere
      INTERVAL
      Franz Liszt
      Hungarian Fantasia, S 123
      Hector Berlioz
      The Damnation of Faust
      Ballet des sylphes
      The Damnation of Faust
      Menuet des follets
      Giuseppe Verdi
      Aida
      Recitative & aria 'Se quel guerrier io fossi!...Celeste Aïda' Act 1 Scene 1
      Paul Dukas
      The Sorcerer’s Apprentice
      Christoph Willibald Gluck
      Suite de Ballet No. 1 (Gluck/Mottl)
      Paul Rubens
      I love the moon
      Arthur Sullivan
      The Gondoliers (arr. unknown for voice and piano)
      Take a pair of sparkling eyes Act 2 No. 3
      Sir Alexander Campbell Mackenzie
      Overture 'Britannia', Op 52
      Performers
      Henry Wood
      conductor
      The New Queen’s Hall Orchestra
      Maggie Teyte
      soprano
      York Bowen
      piano
      John Coates
      tenor
      Frederick Kiddle
      piano

Comment

It's the Arcadelt that stands out for me. I wonder what Wood's orchestration was like. He was quite adept at such things

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
          It's the Arcadelt that stands out for me. I wonder what Wood's orchestration was like. He was quite adept at such things
          There’s a brief description in this Gramophone review. Sounds worth an outing .

Gramophone has been the world’s leading authority on classical music since 1923. Every issue will enrich your classical music knowledge with in-depth interviews and features about composers past and present, plus established and new artists from across the globe. Gramophone is the magazine for the classical collector, as well for the enthusiast starting a voyage of discovery.

Comment

Many thanks, Heldenleben. One can imagine it from Mr. Biss' description. And what a delight to read his ornate prose style, reminding me of our old friend Sidney Grew ('members may be aware that we do not like 'suites'...)

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Horlicks with a tot of malt whisky used to be my nightcap. Now more likely to be a mug of herb tea.

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              But AD, getting back on topic, you're the TTN Mastermind: I have a feeling there used to be longer pieces on TTN too - even an occasional entire opera. Not a complaint about the current TTN, just a vague feeling.
              I think you're right - there did seem to be more longer pieces of music, e.g. operas that went across the 2 hour slots.
              For example:
              Saturday 2 September 2006 1:00-7:00 (Radio 3)
              With Jonathan Swain.
              Playlist:
              1.00am
              Sigiswalk Kuijken conducts Handel's Partenope
              Handel, Georg Frideric (1685-1759): Partenope, opera in three acts
              Partenope ...... Krisztina Laki
              Rosmira ...... Helga Müller Mollinari
              Arsace ...... René Jacobs
              Armindo ...... John York Skinner
              Emilio ...... Martyn Hill
              Ormonte ...... Stephen Varcoe
              La Petite Bande
              Sigiswald Kuijken (conductor)

4.16am
              Gabrieli, Giovanni (c.1553-1612): Canzon Prima
              Canadian Brass
              Saturday 6 January 2007 1:00-7:00 (Radio 3)
              With John Shea.
              Playlist:
              1.00am
              Rameau, Jean-Philippe (1683-1764): Zaïs - Pastoral héroïque
              Zaïs ...... John Elwes (haute-contre)
              Zélidie ...... Marjanne Kweksilber (soprano)
              Sylph/High Priestess of Love ...... Mieke van der Sluis (soprano)
              Sylph ...... Réné Jacobs (countertenor)
              Love ...... Jane Marsh (soprano)
              Oromasès ...... Max van Egmond (bass)
              Cindor ...... David Thomas (bass)
              Collegium Vocale, Ghent
              Philippe Herreweghe (director)
              La Petite Bande
              Sigiswald Kuijken (conductor)

3.49am
              Milhaud, Darius (1892-1974): Scaramouche
              James Anagnoson, Leslie Kinton (pianos)

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                Had it been 1922 your wish would have been fulfilled. Note the highly popular programme of short pieces
                Prom 01 - First Night of the Proms 1922
                Queen's Hall
                Programme
                Thanks. I wonder if any recordings/clips have survived?

Comment

SOMM have reissued on CD some archive Prom recordings such as the premiere of Rubbra's 4th symphony from 1942, and extracts from the 'First Night' 1943. This had

Sorcerer's Apprentice
                  Saint-Saens 2nd concerto (Lympany)
                  'Love in her eyes sits playing' (Handel) Nash, and
                  Beethoven's 5th.

There's also, on a BBC Mag disc, the 1942 premiere of Ireland's Epic March.

It would be fascinating to know what else has survivied from old Proms. I was thrilled to hear the surviving portions of Beecham's two Proms in 1954. But it's highly unlikely there's anything from the acoustic era. HMV recorded most if not all the opening ceremony of the 1923 British Empire Exhibition in Wembley Stadium, but most if not all of it was a disaster. Jerrold Northrop Moore writes about it in 'Elgar on Record'.

I'm surethe BBc have many recordings of old Proms which they won't or can't broadcast. Surely now the artists are dead there shouldn't be a problem? Ah, yes, I was forgetting. That is the problem.Radio3 doesn't seem to like dead artists very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                    Oops! 2022, surely!
                    Indeed. At 0159 I'm none too sure of the century, and indeed I was more with Libera me, Domine, de morte æterna, in die illa tremenda....

Comment

Indeed. At 0159 I'm none too sure of the century, and indeed I was more with Libera me, Domine, de morte æterna, in die illa tremenda....

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                        I think you're right - there did seem to be more longer pieces of music, e.g. operas that went across the 2 hour slots.
                        For example:

And in looking at the 1922 First Night, it might be borne in mind that back in the early days the aim was to 'create an audience' for classical music by easing listeners in with some lighter fare. Having created that audience and catered for it over many decades the strategy now seems to be to wander around picking up listeners anywhere and cater for ever wider tastes: all things to all people. That may have its downside for the musical descendants of the original 'created audience'.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Oops...I was 440 out...

I quite like it.
                          There are two views on Vexations. One, that it is the very first totally atonal work, and the other that it isn't. The first view is mine, the second, everybody else's.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            There are two views on Vexations. One, that it is the very first totally atonal work, and the other that it isn't. The first view is mine, the second, everybody else's.
                            Reminds me of that old Punch cartoon: fond parents watching a troop of squaddies marching past. 'Oh look, theyr'e all out of step except our Willie'.

Good on yer, Serial.

Comment

Last night's highlight, for me:

14.6.2023 02:31 AM
                              Jan Dismas Zelenka (1679-1745)
                              Missa Dei filii (Missa ultimarum secundat) ZWV.20
                              Martina Jankova (soprano), Wiebke Lehmkuhl (contralto), Krystian Adam Krzeszowiak (tenor), Felix Rumpf (bass), Dresden Chamber Choir, Wroclaw Baroque Orchestra, Vaclav Luks (conductor)

A late Zelenka work from the 1740s: 40 minutes of glorious choral music - and he completed only the Kyrie ad the Gloria.

Comment

Last night's highlight, for me:

14.6.2023 02:31 AM
                                Jan Dismas Zelenka (1679-1745)
                                Missa Dei filii (Missa ultimarum secundat) ZWV.20
                                Martina Jankova (soprano), Wiebke Lehmkuhl (contralto), Krystian Adam Krzeszowiak (tenor), Felix Rumpf (bass), Dresden Chamber Choir, Wroclaw Baroque Orchestra, Vaclav Luks (conductor)

A late Zelenka work from the 1740s: 40 minutes of glorious choral music - and he completed only the Kyrie ad the Gloria.
                                Catching up now - thanks.
                                It looks as if the accompanying Te Deum is on on the 30th of June.
                                It would be interesting to compare Jonathan Swain's introductions with John Shea & Danielle Jalowiecka's.

Comment

Working...
                                X