Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Maybe the BBC is hacking into its own networks!
    More likely some newbie saying 'Ooh, I wonder what this button does?'

Comment

I heard this again last night - perhaps for the third time; I like it a lot.

22 March at 2:00 into the programme; from 2003 Proms.

Jean‐Philippe Rameau
      L'Apotheose de la Danse - orchestral suite of dance music by Rameau [arr Minkowski]
      Ensemble: Les Musiciens du Louvre. Conductor: Marc Minkowski.

Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

(There was a CD of this but I think it's now deleted.)
      Last edited by kernelbogey; 22-03-22, 18:30. Reason: CD

Comment

John Shea shared this teaser on Twitter. I wonder which reference* & piece? Answers, on a postcard to...

* I don't know much about The Fast Show

Comment

Marianna Martines 1744-1812

Sinfonia in C major
          Orchestra: BBC Concert Orchestra. Conductor: Johannes Wildner.

New name to me....

Comment

The Tchaikovsky concert this morning was very fine, I thought, Krzysztof Urbański conducting a crisp-sounding Orchestra della Svizzera italiana. I hadn't heard Tchaikovsky 4 in a long while, and it brought vivid memories of adolescent angst.

Comment

Pretty Twitter Bot and automagic playlists on Spotify

Hello all,

as this might be useful for some readers of this forum, I would like to point out the result of a little private tinkering: Among other things, I run the unofficial (but prettier) @BBC3MusicBot on Twitter, which has some advantages over the official @BBCR3MusicBot:

- Full track information
              - Hashtags for composers, artists and shows
              - Spotify links
              - Episode information at the beginning of each show, including BBC Sounds links

Using the Twitter search, it's easy to find and listen to the episodes and titles played like this:

Search for "#RelistenNow #BBCRadio3" on Twitter to find all shows
              Search for "#RelistenNow #ThroughTheNight" to find all episodes of "Through the Night", including links to BBC Sounds to easily relisten the episodes
              Search for "#NowPlaying #ThroughTheNight" to find all titles, including Spotify links

The spotify links are automatically determined based on search terms and unfortunately don't always provide the correct recording, but usually at least the right piece of music. Even that is useful to some though, so I tweet the link as well.

In addition, for almost all BBC Radio 3 shows there are also automagic playlists on Spotify, where all played tracks are added
              immediately on broadcast. The playlist for "Through the Night" can be found here.

Playlists for almost all other shows on BBC Radio 3 (also an overall playlist) and many more automagic playlists e.g. for BBC6Music, BBC
              Radio 1, BBC Radio 2 but also many other international radio stations are here.

This is a private and non commercial project, not affiliated with themBBC. I hope you enjoy!
              Last edited by french frank; 13-04-22, 18:12.

Comment

A regular listener to TTN, but for us it is TTD in NZ.
                Just listened to a piece called Orawa by Kilar. I heard it several years ago and bought a version, which I enjoy immensely.
                Interesting that TTN played the piece Fri/Sat night - performed by the Camerata Zurich and played the same piece on Sat/Sun night performed by the Polish Radio Symphony Orchestra.
                Odd that a relatively obscure but enjoyable piece needs an airing two nights running.

Comment

This was perfect to wake up to:
                  Jean‐Philippe Rameau
                  Le Temple de la Gloire (orchestral suites)
                  Orchestra: Tafelmusik. Conductor: Jeanne Lamon.
                  Some of TTN's fare is disturbing, rather than soothing, in the night and I turn it off. I suppose the programme is used in different ways by different listeners, and not always during the night. Mahler 5 between 1 and 2...? I was lucky to catch, by chance, the Adagietto, after which it went off.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    This was perfect to wake up to:
                    Jean‐Philippe Rameau
                    Le Temple de la Gloire (orchestral suites)
                    Orchestra: Tafelmusik. Conductor: Jeanne Lamon.
                    Some of TTN's fare is disturbing, rather than soothing, in the night and I turn it off. I suppose the programme is used in different ways by different listeners, and not always during the night. Mahler 5 between 1 and 2...? I was lucky to catch, by chance, the Adagietto, after which it went off.
                    I have a folk theory (i.e. no evidence) that they program loud orchestral, loud vocal, and then more restful instrumental pieces at different but set times in TTN.

Comment

'Through the Night' has long been my favourite programme on any Radio or TV channel. I usually hear it from 4.00 to 4.30 am. British time when I am having breakfast.

Sometimes, though, when I'm alone at home, I put it on when I wake in the night. On such occasions I'm sometimes disappointed to hear, not 'TTN' but a pop music programme not at all to my liking: they go under several headings, such as 'Happy Harmonies' or 'Piano Flow' etc. 'TTN' begins at 3 am. which is hardly 'Through' the Night.

I looked to see if this has been discussed here, but the thread is too long to search. Surely that sort of programme belongs on Radio 1 or 2. I wouldn't expect those channels to play Schoenberg or Tallis, so why does Radio 3 have to cater for all?

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                        ….I'm sometimes disappointed to hear, not 'TTN' but a pop music programme not at all to my liking: they go under several headings, such as 'Happy Harmonies' or 'Piano Flow' etc. 'TTN' begins at 3 am. which is hardly 'Through' the Night.

I looked to see if this has been discussed here, but the thread is too long to search
                        . Surely that sort of programme belongs on Radio 1 or 2. I wouldn't expect those channels to play Schoenberg or Tallis, so why does Radio 3 have to cater for all?
                        Here’s the thread:

I suggest I add your post to it, if that suits?
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

'Through the Night' has long been my favourite programme on any Radio or TV channel. I usually hear it from 4.00 to 4.30 am. British time when I am having breakfast.

Sometimes, though, when I'm alone at home, I put it on when I wake in the night. On such occasions I'm sometimes disappointed to hear, not 'TTN' but a pop music programme not at all to my liking: they go under several headings, such as 'Happy Harmonies' or 'Piano Flow' etc. 'TTN' begins at 3 am. which is hardly 'Through' the Night.

I looked to see if this has been discussed here, but the thread is too long to search. Surely that sort of programme belongs on Radio 1 or 2. I wouldn't expect those channels to play Schoenberg or Tallis, so why does Radio 3 have to cater for all?
                          You echo the views of other contributors to this forum. How crazy that Radio 3 compiles and produces the content of TtN, yet dumps a couple of hours of it while the other radio stations, which avail themselves of the work done by Radio 3, go ahead with the full compilation.

Comment

Ah, you have encountered Dumbtime ...

Comment

Thanks, Nick.

Comment

The dross has mercifully been removed from the schedule tonight, smittims:

"...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X