Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smittims View Post
    They've started doing this in 'Classical Live' at about 3.40 pm when it starts to turn a bit crossover-and-trailer-ish. I suspect it's deliberate and we may epect TTN to be 'an uninterrupted sequence of soothing music' soon.
    Plans in the early 2020s to turn Radio New Zealand's classical music station into a presenter-less streaming service were fiercely opposed and eventually dropped. The station remains available on FM.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
      I wasn't listening last night but it has happened before. The music and the presenter's commentary are on different tracks, merged during broadcast, and occasionally it goes wrong.!
      Bill Nicholls, who used to be involved with the recording of TTN and the BBC's presenter links, has posted here in the past but as far as I can see he has now moved on. I also had the impression that the music was simultaneously broadcast by the BBC to all the receiving EBU countries, with the pre-recorded language links inserted in real time in musicless gaps. If there were no links that would have been the same for all Notturno broadcasts then.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Bill Nicholls, who used to be involved with the recording of TTN and the BBC's presenter links, has posted here in the past but as far as I can see he has now moved on. I also had the impression that the music was simultaneously broadcast by the BBC to all the receiving EBU countries, with the pre-recorded language links inserted in real time in musicless gaps. If there were no links that would have been the same for all Notturno broadcasts then.
        I contacted TTN in 2021 about the Saturday cut to 4 hours and apparently Bill Nicholls had taken voluntary redundancy - a shame because he was very helpful and quick to respond to questions.

I'm not sure it is simultaneous everywhere these days - R3's TTN plays the 3 blocks in a different order to Notturno, (R3 usually has the longer pieces first).
        Austrian radio's Notturno tends to have variants on the pieces / order played & is short on announcements (but not regular News) - they also have under 5 hours to fill.
        The Swedish Notturno often have bird song (Tweeting) where some of the major announcements would be between blocks, but short announcements betwixt peices.

For example... this morning's Ö1's Notturno "Ö1 Nachtmusik" started with Rossini, Chopin, Bartok, Dvorak, Monteverdi, Neruda, Glazunov, Warlock...
        Sweden's Sverigersradio P2 Notturno followed the EBU Notturno listing and started with Rossini, Glazunov, Neruda, Bartok, Warlock, Chopin, Dvorak, Monteverdi...
        Our R3 TTN ended with... Rossini, Glazunov , Neruda, Bartok, Warlock, Chopin, Dvorak, Monteverdi.

BTW Ö1 often put more information (e.g. titles of movements) in the on-line listings than R3 (although the R3 listings used to be much better).

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
          I contacted TTN in 2021 about the cut to 4 hours and apparently Bill Nicholls had taken voluntary redundancy - a shame because he was very helpful and quick to respond to questions.
          Thank you, AD, that's useful information. I'd assumed that the BBC team still puts the various blocks together, acting as a hub for EBU and non-EBU broadcast material. Who knows? Perhaps even that isn't true now.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Thank you, AD, that's useful information. I'd assumed that the BBC team still puts the various blocks together, acting as a hub for EBU and non-EBU broadcast material. Who knows? Perhaps even that isn't true now.
            I'm sure you're right about the 2 hour blocks, but it does look as if the Austrians (as new-boys-on-the-blocks) adjust them as needed to fit their 5 hours with two regular 5 min. News breaks.

The EBU Notturno website does say:
            The programme is produced by the BBC Notturno team and relayed via the Euroradio Live over IP Network and mixed with local, pre-recorded announcements. No commercial CDs are used, and the rights for the offers are cleared in advance.
            The EBU Notturno listings have PDF document author names which vary, but sound British (including one I recognise).

I haven't done a timing comparison between the various broadcast to see if the announcer gaps are consistent between pieces...

Comment

An absolute gem of a performance of Fauré’s wonderful second Piano Quintet in Monday morning’s TTN

It starts at 00:53:00 on Sounds. I’ve listened to it three times already and have heard and understood anew this elusive but mesmerising piece
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
                  An absolute gem of a performance of Fauré’s wonderful second Piano Quintet in Monday morning’s TTN

It starts at 00:53:00 on Sounds. I’ve listened to it three times already and have heard and understood anew this elusive but mesmerising piece
                  Sounds a bit miserly with details? Have to go back to the schedule to find out:

Piano Quintet in C minor, Op 115
                  Performer: Sebastian Bohren. Performer: Hyunjong Kang. Performer: Hannes Bärtschi. Performer: Patrick Demenga. Performer: Bernd Glemser​

Comment

Sounds a bit miserly with details? Have to go back to the schedule to find out:

Piano Quintet in C minor, Op 115
                    Performer: Sebastian Bohren. Performer: Hyunjong Kang. Performer: Hannes Bärtschi. Performer: Patrick Demenga. Performer: Bernd Glemser​
                    The very reason I linked to the schedule
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

The very reason I linked to the schedule
                      Exactement, mon brave. So you need to click at once on to See more to read the details first, and then Play - rather than impatiently clicking on Play when the details disappear :smilkey: smilkey? No, of course.

Comment

See richardfinegold on 'Which classical music are you listening to now, 1.03 today for more Glemser.

Comment

Through the Night continues to shine in an otherwise dreich​ R3.

Thoroughly enjoying this morning's TTN - John Shea is as interesting, "invisible" & waffle-free as ever.
                          Finlandia, LvB's Violin Concerto (Pinchas Zukerman), Dvorak 8, Machaut "La Messe de Nostre Dame" (Oxford Camerata) & Bach Cello suite 2... for starters.

Comment

I very much enjoyed the Nino Rota Harp concerto on Saturday, following Andrew Manze's excellent Elgar first symphony.

Comment

Will Saturday's drivel dribble stop? How will we cope without AURORA?
                              TTN on Saturday 18th & 25th of May are both currently starting at 00:30 and the full 6 hours.

Comment

Well-spotted!
                                We'll see ...

Comment

Working...
                                X