Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was interested to hear the 'original' 1892 version of En Saga this morning. It's a real curiosity; some of it doesn't sound like Sibelius at all, and I wondered if it was a hoax. At any rate I'm glad he re-wrote it ; interestingly he kept the original ending unchanged.

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      I was interested to hear the 'original' 1892 version of En Saga this morning. It's a real curiosity; some of it doesn't sound like Sibelius at all, and I wondered if it was a hoax. At any rate I'm glad he re-wrote it ; interestingly he kept the original ending unchanged.
      Not sure if it helps, but Jonathan Swain, John Shea & Catriona Young added a few more details...

Sibelius now here on Through the Night, his En Saga - a piece from the early 1890s when he was relatively new to Finnish culture, the title is in fact Swedish. Critics were bewildered at its premiere and a few years on Sibelius revised it, but this is a rare performance of Sibelius' original En Saga. A piece in which Sibelius said he wanted to conjure the atmosphere of a Nordic saga.
      Here's Sibelius to tell us a story. In fact, despite the title "En Saga", he never did give away much about the the story, or the stories behind the piece, just saying he wanted to conjure up the atmosphere of a Nordic saga. He revised the piece a few years later, but this is the original 1892 version
      This next piece has a Swedish title, but it's actually by Sibelius, who grew up speaking Swedish and Finnish. His tone poem En Saga was deeply personal - "In no other work" he said "have I revealed myself so completely".

Comment

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
        Not sure if it helps, but Jonathan Swain, John Shea & Catriona Young added a few more details...

I shall listen to this as soon as Private Passions has ended - I had no idea there was an earlier version of this work.
        (Where would we be without Sounds?)

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
          I shall listen to this as soon as Private Passions has ended - I had no idea there was an earlier version of this work.
          (Where would we be without Sounds?)
          smittims kindly flagged it - perhaps Sibelius early versions should be suggested for BAL or COTW? They might unearth more performances of the 1892 version.

Comment

smittims kindly flagged it - perhaps Sibelius early versions should be suggested for BAL or COTW? They might unearth more performances of the 1892 version.
            There seems to be only 1 recording (Lahti SO / Vanska) of the original version of En Saga, coupled with the original 1915 version of the 5th symphony.
            My thanks to you and Smittims!

Comment

I read it up in Erik Tawastjerna's definitive biography: he quotes a few passages in notation. Apparently the famous version we all know dates from 1902, after the second symphony.

Comment

I read it up in Erik Tawastjerna's definitive biography: he quotes a few passages in notation. Apparently the famous version we all know dates from 1902, after the second symphony.
                Robert Layton also gives 1902 as the date of the revised version, which was premiered the following year..
                I've just ordered the Vanska CD from World of Books for £3.59!
                Last edited by LMcD; 28-04-24, 14:14.

Comment

Robert Layton also gives 1902 as the date of the revised version, which was premiered the following year..
                  I've just ordered the Vanska CD from World of Books for £3.59!
                  Just finished listening to it on NML, really enjoyed the 1915 version of the 5th as well, CD ordered.
                  The booklet makes interesting reading (inc. some odd typesetting of "o").
                  You're both terrible influences! Thanks.
                  Last edited by AuntDaisy; 28-04-24, 17:40.

Comment

Just finished listening to it on NML, really enjoyed the 1915 version of the 5th as well, CD ordered.
                    The booklet makes interesting reading (inc. some odd typesetting of "o").
                    You're both terrible influences! Thanks.
                    Gosh - I'm an influencer! (Is that a good thing, I wonder)

Comment

Well well! I've often wondered as to why the chill En Saga atmosphere I was used to sounded so unlike the other opulent, almost Wagnerian feel of some of his other works of the early 90s such as Kullervo, or the Tchaikovskyisms of the first two symphonies!

Comment

Gosh - I'm an influencer! (Is that a good thing, I wonder)
                        If, in addition to excellent advice, you offered small sweets, you could be a Tic Tac Influencer.

Comment

If, in addition to excellent advice, you offered small sweets, you could be a Tic Tac Influencer.
                          Tic Tac on Tik Tok?

Comment

Tic Tac on Tik Tok?
                            Bringing a breath of fresh air to the platform.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

Bringing a breath of fresh air to the platform.
                              I've only just clocked that one!

Comment

I was sorry to hear Danielle say at about 4.15 this morning that Paganini 'could have been the fifth member of Led Zeppelin', that he was 'a rock star of sorts'. and 'move over, JImmy Page'. I've appreciated Danielle's contribution to TTN but I fear she's been told to start making such references as part of the 'crossover-ization ' on Radio 3. I do hope this isn't the thin end of Sam's wedge.

Comment

Working...
                                X