• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by smittims View Post
    I was sorry to hear Danielle say at about 4.15 this morning that Paganini 'could have been the fifth member of Led Zeppelin', that he was 'a rock star of sorts'. and 'move over, JImmy Page'. I've appreciated Danielle's contribution to TTN but I fear she's been told to start making such references as part of the 'crossover-ization ' on Radio 3. I do hope this isn't the thin end of Sam's wedge.
    Eeeek, ~3:39:58 on Sounds.

Catriona Young just said "The name Paganini is, of course, synonymous with the violin; he also played viola, no great surprise there, but his second love was guitar. Here's one of the sonatas he wrote for both."
    Last edited by AuntDaisy; 06-05-24, 08:52.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

I was sorry to hear Danielle say at about 4.15 this morning that Paganini 'could have been the fifth member of Led Zeppelin', that he was 'a rock star of sorts'. and 'move over, JImmy Page'. I've appreciated Danielle's contribution to TTN but I fear she's been told to start making such references as part of the 'crossover-ization ' on Radio 3. I do hope this isn't the thin end of Sam's wedge.
      Led Zeppelin/Jimmy Page - who/what they?

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

.... and when it comes to great modern-day violinists, don't forget The Man From Maastricht!

Comment

• muzzer
          • Nov 2013

Danielle seems to me generally very measured in her comments, so I fear the worst. TTN is for me an oasis on R3 these days and the thought it is not safe from the rampant paranoid populism that has infested the rest of the place fills me with dread.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
            Danielle seems to me generally very measured in her comments, so I fear the worst. TTN is for me an oasis on R3 these days and the thought it is not safe from the rampant paranoid populism that has infested the rest of the place fills me with dread.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Led Zeppelin/Jimmy Page - who/what they?
              Let’s say they were more Hip than HIPP. But some on the forum have ‘A whole lotta love’ of their music. Page was in fact a very good session guitarist on many a hit 45 or LP in the 60s before he joined the Yardbirds which morphed into Led Zeppelin.

The other link from the rock world to Paganini was the Lloyd- Webber variations from 1977 where Julian L-W joined rock musicians from the prog band Colsseum II and others. One of the vars was the intro music for the South Bank Show. Forumites will no doubt decide whether to open the marmite jar!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                • Apr 2014

Strikes me as quite a fair comment. The obvious link between Page and Paganini is the devil. The latter was rumoured to have made a pact with the devil to acquire his extraordinary virtuosic powers. He was pretty much the first classical superstar - a line that continues with Liszt , Horowitz , Paderewski and a few others and then reaching its apogee or degeneracy in the cult of the guitar hero like Clapton, Page, Hendrix. Page had a big interest in Satanism . I think he even bought Aleister Crowley’s house in the Highlands. When you read about audience reaction to Liszt ,with ladies fighting over his discarded cigar butts , you realise that rock and the classics do have quite a few things in common.
                Today of course we have the cult of the conductor so well exposed by Joseph Horowitz in his book Understanding Toscanini.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                  • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

Today of course we have the cult of the conductor so well exposed by Joseph Horowitz in his book Understanding Toscanini.
                  In Norman Lebrecht's 'The Maestro Myth' too..........'There is no profession which an imposter could enter more easily' (Carl Flesch)

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                    Eeeek, ~3:39:58 on Sounds.

Catriona Young just said "The name Paganini is, of course, synonymous with the violin; he also played viola, no great surprise there, but his second love was guitar. Here's one of the sonatas he wrote for both."
                    THAT's the way to DO it!
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                      Danielle seems to me generally very measured in her comments...
                      ....and also has an irreverent side, saying (e.g.) 'the other chap got the job' [at St Thomas's] i.e. J S Bach. This is different from John S's sardonic style only in kind, not degree, IMVVHO!

(And cf also Hannah F 'ringin' in Bingen' - re Hildegard von Bingen - or was it 'singin' in Bingen'...?! )

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                        Host
                        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                        Will Saturday's drivel dribble stop? How will we cope without AURORA?
                        TTN on Saturday 18th & 25th of May are both currently starting at 00:30 and the full 6 hours.
                        Another 6 hour Saturday TTN listing for 1st June - the drivel has gone!!! Hopefullly.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Bring back an all-nighter Satie Vexations, I say!

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                            Host
                            • Jun 2018

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                            Or Max Richter's "Sleep"? Not to mention All Night Jazz.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                              • Feb 2024

Or the Sorabji Opus Clavicembalisticum🥴

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

That's struck an unresolved chord with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X